Home

TheSinner.net

eve brown?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

eve brown?

Postby upallnight on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:44 pm

maybe this is more suited to the accommodation board but ....

i was just wondering what people could tell me about Eve Brown, the estate agent. have to say that i have not heard brilliant things about her but any experiences, good or bad with her would be appreciated.

thanks
upallnight

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:11 am

I've had no experience with the company but I've heard from quite a few people that they're bad about returning security deposits.
Miz Manda

Evil Brown

Postby Jesser on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:07 am

This is a personal experience I have had with eve brown, a long long time ago back in the mists of time in second year we rented 10A pilmour links from eve brown. All good so far £45 a week dead on. We did break a few things but nothing major, oh also as an aside work was being done next door and they broke the roof so water leaked into one of the bedrooms when I say water I mean about half an inch, of course you would expect the company to jump into action and fix a poor students house but NOOOOO, it took them two weeks to sort it nice, anyway back to the main rant- When the year ended we did expect to lose some of our deposit, but when no deposit was forthcoming we phoned eve brown and they said the house was so badly damaged we wouldn't get our deposit back. We thought this was a bit wierd so in desperation we phoned the flat and got the owner and he said, as we expected, there was some damage but only £150 worth so what was eve brown doing with the other £650!!!!!!!!!!

I also had friends with a similar problem only they had done zero damage to their house and once again eve brown said they had done to much damage to their flat and would recieve no deposit back. Luckily the girl in questions mum was a barrister and we all threatened them with watchdog so they got their deposit back.

Finally, Eve Brown, as far as I am aware, bank your deposit, I am fairly sure that this is illegal as that money still belongs technically to you and any interest made on it thus belongs to you!!! Imagine how much interest eve brown makes on the thousands it holds in student deposits. I am afraid I cannot say this is gospel truth though.

Eve brown was dropped from some charter recently as well.

This is personal experience but I know of more people who have had similar problems but I am sure there are as many people who have good experiences.

I dont know anybody who has had problems with other letters though

Rant over.
Jesser

Re:

Postby upallnight on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:49 am

yeah, i went to get her lists today, just in case and there seems to be loads left whereas no-one else really has anything left, which speaks volumes in my book. i don't know. there was a very nice lady there today but i don't know if thats her.

i wouldn't like to lose my deposit but then my mum is one tough cookie (not a barrister but still a scary lady when angry) and i don't think anything would get broken anyway.

don't know what to do!!
upallnight

Re:

Postby Devilzchild on Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:33 am

Me and my friends were with Eve Brown for 2 years and had absolutley no problems at all. They were allways quick to fix things and we got all our deposit back + the interest it accrewed in their back account for the two years (minus the amount it took to fix a door that my flatmate accidently put his hand through).

Even when my bank messed up and gave them extra rent, Eve Brown offered to phone the bank and get it all sorted out if there was any problem getting the money back.
Devilzchild

Re:

Postby Dave on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:53 pm

I've rented from Eve Brown on three occasions. Above and beyond the qualities of the houses (i.e. no central heating in the first two), we had to wait about 4 months for a deposit from the first house. I was informed by my flatmate who was dealing wiht them that they were not going to return it until they had a new deposit from the people who would be moving in. We did however receive the entire deposit back.

The second flat I rented from Eve Brown was quite shit and expensive, and when we moved out, the owner of the property claimed that we had destroyed/stolen various items. Eve Brown backed us by saying that the allegedly stolen items were not on the original inventory, as well as supporting that the bathroom had insufficient ventilation, and so the damage caused by damp was not our fault. We got most of our deposit back, and Eve Brown stopped dealing with that owner.

I am currently renting from Eve Brwon, and have been in the same flat 6 years. The rent is under £200 per month and the house is warm with all the necessary amenities. I have no complaints. I will qualify that by saying that nothing has broken that required anyone to come out and look at it, so I don't know what their services in that field would be - although the lawnmower broke and was replaced by the owner fairly quickly, along with a new vacuum cleaner when we asked for one.
Dave

Re:

Postby Blondie515 on Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Im a first year and we just signed the lease for a house next year. We did have reservations bout going with them but the house was nice and swayed us. The advice i was given was

- check the inventory REALLY carefully
- anything already damaged when u get there take a photo of and date and give to them
- everytime you get in touch with them keep a log and write down everything that happens in the convo
- make sure u get a copy of the bill for any work done on the house through your damage

That way they struggle to take your deposit cos u have lots of evidence to back it up
Blondie515

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:00 pm

If you read what you sign with Eve Brown then you will have absolutely no problems. I have heard of EB taking deposits away from students for seemingly no reason, but upon closer inspection it is becuase said students did not read their contracts. Stuff like informing EB of changes to electrical suppliers, noting EVERYTHING on the inventory, giving EB copies of your final bills.
I stayed with them last year and they were top quality.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Return to Advice Please!