Home

TheSinner.net

Unable to do essays, how to keep P T P?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Unable to do essays, how to keep P T P?

Postby G on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:03 pm

I've had a lot of difficulty this semester with just about everything, because of some family and personal problems.

I'm still apparently functioning, going to my classes, doing (most) of the work for them, being cheerful, but I've found it completely impossible to write assessed essays. I mean really impossible. I try to read stuff and my brain refuses to process it, and I sit down for hours to write and simply fail to get my notes into a single sentence.

Obviously I need to sort this out, but I'm really really worried short-term: I haven't handed essays in at all and I'm petrified I'll lose permission to proceed for subjects I really like and want to graduate with.

Where do I get help so that doesn't happen? I've spoken to my year co-ordinator for one of my subjects and he was really understanding and gave me extensions, but I've missed two more of his deadlines for it, his patience is going to run out right about now, and I still cannot write essays. Haven't managed to approach the other department yet.

I need to know who in the university I take this problem to who can keep my ptp and who stands a cat in hell's chance of believing and understanding that this crazy problem is genuine, I really care and am doing my best and am not lazy.

Please help. Thanks.
G

Re:

Postby nja on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:02 pm

Although I have no personal experience of him myself, if you're arts, have you tried Dave Roberts? I hear he's a bit of a legend.
nja

Re:

Postby Khaz on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:16 pm

Dave Roberts is the man you want to see. Not only will he make you feel better, but he'll tell you how it is and will be able to stick in a few punches on your behalf.

dr1@st-andrews.ac.uk is his e-mail address, and probably the easiest/most successful way of contacting him.

I was in the same boat as you, but I decided to actually leave, and Dave's been helping me through some shit since before Christmas. He's an honest gent, but be prepared to hear things how they are, not some sugar-laced fairy tale.

[hr]

.:Khaz

mtb23@st-andrews.ac.uk
.:Khaz
Khaz

Re:

Postby spockette on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:50 pm

Go and see Dave Roberts. He's an absolute legend. I fucked up quite a lot this year, mainly due to personal problems, and he sorted me out.

Go see him, and tell him that you can't write essays and explain everything you just said in that post and he can talk to your departments for you and sort you out with extensions or work something out.

Also, you might want to make an appointment with student support to talk about why you've not written essays - they can help you cope with a lot of stuff.

I hope things work out for you.

[hr]

http://standrews.thefacebook.com/profil ... d=37100069
spockette

Return to Advice Please!