Home

TheSinner.net

getting over loss (emotional devastation)

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

getting over loss (emotional devastation)

Postby Guest on Wed May 25, 2005 8:28 pm

i really hate the end of university academic years because we all break up and in some years friends will be leaving permanently. i have made some really good friends these past few months here but they are all leaving permanently at the end of may, and emotionally i feel devastated. theres one person in particular who i will deeply miss and cannot help but feel a sense of loss and grief. she just considers me as just another friend and not as close as her other friends. but she said shes going to visit next year to see her friends and i asked whether she would be interested in seeing me and she said yes. i have her on my msn but she's going to be travelling at all kinds of places during the summer whereas i'll be stuck in st andrews because i have no money. so while i'll be in bed sulking and wondering what the hell to do with my time, she'll be out there enjoying the likes of italy, ireland and france and i feel she might forget me. i am feeling many things right now but you can say that altogether i'm emotionally devastated. i want to keep in touch with her as well as all my other friends and don't want communication with any of them to fade in time because i know i'll never meet such fantastic people again. i don't have any of their postal addresses or phone numbers only their email, and they have all my contact info but i have this ugly feeling inside me that they might not contact me again because they'll be so busy with other things and people that they might forget me. my best friend left st andrews and i had trouble sleeping last night as all i could think about was our friendship. i feel so deeply devastated i'm having trouble trying to carry myself through all this. what can i do?[img]littleicons/crying.gif[/img]

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 29, 2005 5:49 pm

Hey,
For personal reasons i cant go home during the summer and i stay here in St Andrews. I always hate this time of year and always get really upset. I have alot of friends graduating this year, and it is really sad and my best friend recently moved down to London. And i am really upset and really scared that i am going to be in st andrews alone for the summer because my best friend is usually here over the summer with me. However, i have to be positive, graduation will soon arrive when all my fourth year friends will be abck. That is always an ace week. Then i have a job where i will meet lots of people too. July is the open so taht will be interesting and then there is the lamas fair in august, then people are up for resits and then alot of people who are moving into flats get their lease on the 1st of september. You just have to think of positive things, i know it is really easy to say but honestly it does help. If you havent got a job for the summer, try and get one because it will really help you get through the summer meeting new people.
Im sure your friends will try and keep in contact as well as they can just remeber taht they will be trying to find jobs or travelling so it may be hard for them at first just give it time.
Good luck
Quoting from 13:19, 25th May 2005
i really hate the end of university academic years because we all break up and in some years friends will be leaving permanently. i have made some really good friends these past few months here but they are all leaving permanently at the end of may, and emotionally i feel devastated. theres one person in particular who i will deeply miss and cannot help but feel a sense of loss and grief. she just considers me as just another friend and not as close as her other friends. but she said shes going to visit next year to see her friends and i asked whether she would be interested in seeing me and she said yes. i have her on my msn but she's going to be travelling at all kinds of places during the summer whereas i'll be stuck in st andrews because i have no money. so while i'll be in bed sulking and wondering what the hell to do with my time, she'll be out there enjoying the likes of italy, ireland and france and i feel she might forget me. i am feeling many things right now but you can say that altogether i'm emotionally devastated. i want to keep in touch with her as well as all my other friends and don't want communication with any of them to fade in time because i know i'll never meet such fantastic people again. i don't have any of their postal addresses or phone numbers only their email, and they have all my contact info but i have this ugly feeling inside me that they might not contact me again because they'll be so busy with other things and people that they might forget me. my best friend left st andrews and i had trouble sleeping last night as all i could think about was our friendship. i feel so deeply devastated i'm having trouble trying to carry myself through all this. what can i do?[img]littleicons/crying.gif[/img]

Re:

Postby Fully Collapsed on Sun May 29, 2005 9:59 pm

I don't really have friends who are graduating (i've just finished 1st year) but i have loads of friends who i am already missing a lot. There were so many people i didn't even say goodbye to in the last week and that makes me feel pretty bad. Even worse, my girlfriend lives in another country and we have to spend three and a half months apart. The first couple of days have being really hard and i don't know honestly how i'll cope for that length of time. Even though i'm in debt i should be visiting her soon but then i have to go to Shanghai for two months so there is no chance that i'll see anyone, though i guess i'll make new friends there - i just want the summer to end at the moment as it's just not the same here - my old friends bore and/or annoy me....
Fully Collapsed

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Mon May 30, 2005 9:41 am

I know! Why is it my friends form home annoy me!!! I mean every holiday i've been home ive just wanted to be back in st andys for the banter! What is the deal!!

I have made some really good friends who are leaving this year and its like im gonna miss them man!! Academic parents too man!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!! roll on september!!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:34 pm

am I the only person not wanting to see anyone from St Andrews but still finding that I am avoiding old friends and with limited success family. I just want to drive and play the piano and there to be nobody about at all. I am happier in my solitude than I have been for a long time.

So why am I posting on a forum?

[hr]

It could be worse, your hair could be on fire.

if your hair is on fire it still could be worse, your other hair could be on fire.
eternally optimistic - against all evidence
the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby Rufus on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:35 pm

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.

Bloody hell. Go and have some ice cream or something.

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby stan on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:55 pm

Quoting Rufus from 00:35, 7th Jun 2005

[hr]

YOU PRICK
stan

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:06 am

It's his Time of the Month.

[hr]

if your hair is on fire it still could be worse, your other hair could be on fire.
eternally optimistic - against all evidence
the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby Jellybaby on Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:30 pm

I think it's perfectly fine to enjoy your own solitude. And posting on this form doesn't mean anything bad. This is what you are interested in doing with your time.

Although you would probably want to give some time to old friends and family. You don't want to push them away. But have time for them.

Quoting the racing tortoise from 10:06, 7th Jun 2005
It's his Time of the Month.

[hr]

Jellybaby

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting stan from 01:55, 7th Jun 2005
Quoting Rufus from 00:35, 7th Jun 2005

[hr]

YOU PRICK

What?! It was good advise- ice cream cheers you up ;)

And, sorry, I probably was being a tad insensitive. Just try and not dwell on how terrible things are and you'll realise they actually Aren't That Bad.

[hr]

Rufus

Return to Advice Please!