Home

TheSinner.net

Starting a new life abroad..how to go about it?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Starting a new life abroad..how to go about it?

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 am

Can anyone provide any help in how I can realise this dream - starting a new, fresh life abroad (outside the UK) - preferably in the states? Thanks

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:19 pm

Quoting from 15:49, 21st Jul 2005
Can anyone provide any help in how I can realise this dream - starting a new, fresh life abroad (outside the UK) - preferably in the states? Thanks

step one) get a visa.

Truth be told, we're going to need more info before we can give you any useful information. (like which state, maybe?)

The easiest way would probably be to first go to university there (and marry someone, but we'll forget that for the moment).

[hr]

:( I have no witty signature.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:25 pm

Quoting from 15:49, 21st Jul 2005

here's a website to look at. What I think you'd need to do is go over through the 90 day visa-waiver program, find a job (but not an immediate one) and then apply through this.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/resi ... oyment.htm

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Labview Pimp on Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:58 am

OK I have experience with this.

I would forget about the US unless you have a SPECIFIC job in mind, ie rocket scientist with NASA. Going over there as a tourist and faffing about with Starbucks or whatever is likely to be a complete waste of time.

You CANNOT work under the visa waiver program. That is only for vacations and business trips.

All you could have done is work for the summer on a J1 or F1 student visa but your way too late for that. Working in the US requires a lot of forward planning.

What you need to do is look at Canada. You can work there for 12 months, as long as you get there before December 31st. You can take up any job you want apart from medical jobs or childcare.

BUNAC are probably your best bet for organising a visa: www.bunac.org

The best city in the US in my opinion is San Francisco. If you go to Vancouver, you will get a very similar experience, with the added bonus of having Whistler (north america's premier ski resort) just up the street.

good luck!
Labview Pimp

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:36 pm

which is why I recommend going under the waiver program to scout out possible jobs and a place to stay, and then once you've got something tenatively lined up for the future, then apply for the permit.
Quoting Labview Pimp from 04:58, 26th Jul 2005

You CANNOT work under the visa waiver program. That is only for vacations and business trips.

The best city in the US in my opinion is San Francisco. If you go to Vancouver, you will get a very similar experience, with the added bonus of having Whistler (north america's premier ski resort) just up the street.

good luck!

really? It's so cold and foggy and expensive. 600,000 dollars for a crappy house in a bad part of town!

[hr]

novium

Re:

Postby Preacher's Kid on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:59 pm

[b]The best city in the US in my opinion is San Francisco.

Give Chicago a try! As someone once correctly said, it's 'New York done right'.

Brilliant urban experience, wonderful neighborhoods-- and a fraction of NYC's price or of SF's pretension. 3 million people can't be wrong.
All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie.
Preacher's Kid

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:08 pm

yes, I would agree there. SF is a good place to see or to go to uni at, but living there...well, lot's of people think i'm insane for thinking so, but i wouldn't want to.

However, chicago does seem like a really good recommendation. it's a big enough city that there'll be lots of opportunities there, it's probably cheaper than much of california, and of course, it's a nice city.

Quoting Preacher's Kid from 00:59, 28th Jul 2005
[b]The best city in the US in my opinion is San Francisco.

Give Chicago a try! As someone once correctly said, it's 'New York done right'.

Brilliant urban experience, wonderful neighborhoods-- and a fraction of NYC's price or of SF's pretension. 3 million people can't be wrong.

[hr]

novium

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:37 pm

Possibly not helpful, but you might want to consider Austrlia or New Zealand. Both have a fairly good reception for UK expats and both have excellent laws for working. They're good places to be employees, they're not as expensive or restrictive as I've heard the states to be (see signature!), they have good weather and they're a world away from anything you'd see otherwise. My advice is to take twelve months out somewhere and either work for a voluntary project somewhere, or go as a working tourist if you can. Also, you might want to try learning a language and going somewhere a bit more exotic.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby novium on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:29 pm

I haven't the faintest idea whether those places are cheaper than the states, but at the very least, there aren't too many countries MORE expensive than the UK ;-) Off the top of my head, Japan is more expensive.

Quoting Gubbins from 17:37, 1st Aug 2005
Possibly not helpful, but you might want to consider Austrlia or New Zealand. Both have a fairly good reception for UK expats and both have excellent laws for working. They're good places to be employees, they're not as expensive or restrictive as I've heard the states to be (see signature!), they have good weather and they're a world away from anything you'd see otherwise. My advice is to take twelve months out somewhere and either work for a voluntary project somewhere, or go as a working tourist if you can. Also, you might want to try learning a language and going somewhere a bit more exotic.

[hr]

[hr]

novium

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:49 pm

Quoting novium from 21:29, 1st Aug 2005
there aren't too many countries MORE expensive than the UK ;-) Off the top of my head, Japan is more expensive.

[/quote]

Norway, Sweden, Denmark...

Yes the UK is expensive for a lot of things, but there are others where it is remarkably cheap... This contributes nothing to the thread I know, but I felt like saying it anyway ;>

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:24 am

Places I've never been and don't think about very much.But now I know. Thanks :)
Quoting flarewearer from 02:49, 5th Aug 2005
Quoting novium from 21:29, 1st Aug 2005
there aren't too many countries MORE expensive than the UK ;-) Off the top of my head, Japan is more expensive.

Norway, Sweden, Denmark...

Yes the UK is expensive for a lot of things, but there are others where it is remarkably cheap... This contributes nothing to the thread I know, but I felt like saying it anyway ;>

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png[/quote]

[hr]

novium

Re:

Postby aladdinsane12 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Chicago is definitely the place to be. It's like a cleaner, friendlier, downsized New York. But if you don't like extreme weather, Chi-town is probably not the best place you should be living.
aladdinsane12

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I was thinking of perhaps going to Seattle or Portland to start me off, and maybe go on to more busy cities like NYC, LA and indeed the windy city of Chicago. As for the posts suggesting places elsewhere than the US, I appreciate your input but I want to go to the US.

Green cards are indeed out of the question since the British aren't eligible for any - so I was thinking perhaps obtaining a visa through an employer. I don't wish to marry someone (unless I find someone I love in my final year), and none of my family heritage will help, either. Hopefully, it shouldn't be all that difficult. Getting a degree should certainly help, and if I can find an employer, that should be good. Does anyone know of any employers providing help in starting up when moving there - eg getting a place to stay, etc?

Also, when I do start my new life abroad I wish to retain my British citizenship, so if anyone knows about how to go about getting a dual citizenship, I'm all ears.

Thanks again. I'll be checking up on this thread regularly.

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:21 am

you know, I don't think anyone asked, but what's your degree in? What field would you like to work in?

[hr]

novium

Re:

Postby kateness on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:38 pm

I recommend checking out Philadelphia. It's a great city, easy to get around without a car, and much cheaper than New york or San Francisco. There's lots of theatre and great bars and historical stuff, a nice waterfront area on the river, and it's a big college town. It's also close to DC, Baltimore, and New York.

If it makes you feel any better, it's just as hard for US citizens to move to the UK and do exactly what you want to do. I'd love to do it, but I'm not a scientist with skills in high demand or anything like they want, I just want to work in theatre or publications. Perhaps we could swap identities...
kateness

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:32 am

I know you're thinking about America, but I found this on the BBC news website about emigrating to Australia - there's a few price comparisons and some climatology:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4160570.stm

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Return to Advice Please!