Home

TheSinner.net

Mobile phone networks in St Andrews

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Mobile phone networks in St Andrews

Postby Needs a phone on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi guys and gals,

My phone contract is coming to an end, and since 3 have pissed me off royally too many times to mention, I need to get a new contract. As far as I can see, T-Mobile have the best tarriff, but I've heard bad things about their reception up here. Is it as bad as all that, and also, how are the other networks for reception and coverage in St Andrews?

I'll get the ball rolling - 3 is ok. You can usually get a signal, but it's rare to get more than one or 2 bars in St Andrews. Their tarriffs are quite cheap, but the phones are huge and the customer service is quite astonishingly poor.

Any views much appreciated!
Needs a phone

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:02 pm

There seems to be an O2 mast on the North Haugh (At least I'm told that's what the thing on the Physics building is).

O2 provides great reception outdoors, but if you go into the Union and anywhere low down (Cellar Bar etc) it goes.

A friend of mine cancelled Vodafone because he couldn't get reception anywhere in St Andrews, switched to 3 and isn't having any further problems.

Like I say, O2 is absolutely fine in my experience.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:07 pm

there's no beating Orange. And that isn't an o2 mast.

Orange gives perfect reception throughout town and as far as coverage goes has the best in the UK for the North of England and all of Scotland, unfortunately O2 is actually the worst followed by T-Mobile.

If you call Orange ask for the student deal, I can't remember the specifics but you get 1000 free texts a month and some other large amount of talk time and it's £20 per month.

I'd stay away from anything that isn't Orange. Vodafone is second best btw.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:57 pm

i have always found that O2 is the best where ever i have been...even in a major blackspot for reception
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:01 pm

Easymobile - it's dirt cheap and has good reception up here.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby tuck on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:02 pm

i agree with TheUnixKid. Orange is the way to go - well it's worked well for me anyway.i chopped and changed for a while and had no luck with other services so have returned to good old orange who provide good deals and it's always possible to get signal.
tuck

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:26 pm

And more agreements, Orange is the best way to go. I have used them all over Scotland, have had reception most places, and the few places that I do not get reception no other phone gets receprion either. They are a touch more expensive than the others, but the quality in service is far better. I used to use Vodafone, and they were appalling.
thebrookster

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:33 pm

Don't go for Virgin, their reception is only exemplary outdoors, which is a pain in the derriere.
Rufus

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:05 am

Virgin piggybacks on the O2 network, IIRC, so that'd explain that.

I'm on T-Mobile and reception is generally pretty good all over town for me, have some trouble in various buildings at times, but often can still get a signal in the union, physics, etc - which isn't really the fault of the network anyway.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby November Rain on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 am

I've only tried O2 and T-Mobile, but I think T-Mobile is really good for tariffs and for reception in most of the town. I struggle a bit with reception in Fife Park, and in Tesco for some reason. Depending on what you want out of a contract, I recommend the Mix-It contracts as you can't phone from your mobile once you've used your minutes unless you top up, so it's easier to budget.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck anyway :)
November Rain

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:07 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 21:02, 21st Apr 2006
There seems to be an O2 mast on the North Haugh (At least I'm told that's what the thing on the Physics building is).

O2 provides great reception outdoors, but if you go into the Union and anywhere low down (Cellar Bar etc) it goes.

It's on the Purdie Building I believe. O2 is fine in my experience, I haven't noticed what happens in the Union, (it's probably lined with lead or something :P ) but surely it's normal to have little or no coverage in the Cellar?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:26 pm

O2 is really good for me too, have yet to find somewhere in St Andrews where I can't find reception. None of my flatmates can get reception in our flat half the time and they're on Orange and 3

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:07 pm

havent had any problems with virgin mobile in st andrews and always have signal! 3p texts to other virgin mobiles is awesome! also from the end of april to the end of september all texts to other virgin mobs are free! yay!
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby novium on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:39 pm

so is t-mobile entirely out of the question?

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 pm

I was wrong actually, Virgin Mobile use the T-Mobile network, rather.

T-Mobile reception is generally pretty good in my experience, and the tarriffs do seem to be rather good compared with various other companies, so I wouldn't say they're out of the question by any means.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:32 am

dang it:( the extraordinarily helpful t-mobile lady gave me all the information on travelling with my phone, but apparently it only works at the 900 and 1900 frequencies. She said Vodaphone works at 900, but i guess the consesus is that they suck?

Anyway. boohoo. Back to my sucky sucky phone from last year.

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Return to Advice Please!