Home

TheSinner.net

GHDs in America

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

GHDs in America

Postby tickly leg on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Will my GHD hair straighteners work in America or should I buy some hats?

[hr]

get to know tickly leg INTIMATELY...see our profile
tickly leg

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:32 pm

I brought my ghd's with me when i went to the states, with an adapter for the plug, and it didn't really work. the power was different somehow, mainly my hairdryer was the problem, it was really really weak. and the ghd's just didn't work as well as usual. also, it was so incredibly hot and humid that my hair just went sort of flat and limp anyway. the water was different too, so even when i washed my hair, it didn't feel like it does here.
So my advice would be buy a good hat.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:45 pm

I don't think British straighteners will be able to get hot enough, if they even work at all. I went and picked up a really cheap pair from Walmart whilst I was there. They were pretty good for the price.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:53 pm

I took my GHDs to America once. Obviously you need an adaptor. They took a little bit longer to reach top temperature, and as you used them they would drop a bit below it again, but all you need to do is just pause for a few seconds when ever the light indicates it's a bit under top temperature until it's hot agai. So it does work, but just takes a little bit longer. Alternatively, you could do what I usually do, and take a little product to define curls, and forget about the straightening bit. Especially if it's hot and humid, so you'll want to wash a lot, and your hair will be more inclined to stick to curls. I take a spray on leave-in conditioner and just leave it to dry naturally, and end up with soft curls instead of straight hair. Mush easier than fiddling about with straightners.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby physicist on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:05 pm

Don't know anything about GHDs but:
[l]
[li] UK mains is 240V at 50Hz.
[li] USA mains is 110V at 60Hz.
[/l]

For any equipment to work in the other country the voltage and frequency both need to be converted. Voltage is easy (e.g. a transformer) but frequency conversion is difficult. If the appliance only states one of the two frequencies then it can only run in one country (unless a converter is bought). I gather converters are expensive (and possibly unreliable), so it may be more beneficial just to buy another appliance in the other country.
physicist

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:34 pm

The water may be hard depending on where you are in the states. I hate washing my hair in london. It still feels sticky and yucky after washing. And limescale in your tea - yuch!!!

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:13 pm

i took my ghds to america and managed to break every socket in the house.
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Return to Advice Please!