Home

TheSinner.net

bad result

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

bad result

Postby ppp on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:41 am

Hi, I've just split up with my girlfriend of over three years namely as a result of my psychological problems which are manic depression and egocentricity. We were the kind of couple that had quite a few quasi breakups however this is it for us. I've managed to progressively push away the one person who can lift me out of my misery and have now lost her through my own perpetuating insecurities and instabilities. This has all occurred after I have severed or spoiled all other relationships including a very close one with my parents. I don't really see any way back as none of these problems are overtly apparent to those who they've affected aside from me. I think seeking some professional psychological help would be a start, but how do you cope when you've slowly but surely destroyed either that is truly valuable to you? I would imagine that the way people will respond to this would be to say that I'm catastrophsising the situation but I'm not, these things have happened and I feel pretty crap! Any advice or thoughts or anything would be cool. Thanks
ppp

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting ppp from 06:06, 4th Jul 2006
Hi, I've just split up with my girlfriend of over three years namely as a result of my psychological problems which are manic depression and egocentricity. We were the kind of couple that had quite a few quasi breakups however this is it for us. I've managed to progressively push away the one person who can lift me out of my misery and have now lost her through my own perpetuating insecurities and instabilities. This has all occurred after I have severed or spoiled all other relationships including a very close one with my parents. I don't really see any way back as none of these problems are overtly apparent to those who they've affected aside from me. I think seeking some professional psychological help would be a start, but how do you cope when you've slowly but surely destroyed either that is truly valuable to you? I would imagine that the way people will respond to this would be to say that I'm catastrophsising the situation but I'm not, these things have happened and I feel pretty crap! Any advice or thoughts or anything would be cool. Thanks

why are these problems not apparent to those around you? The only reason I can think of is that you are hideing them. so the first step to getting round them would be to admit them to someone, your parents seeming like a good start. I know this will mean swallowing a lot of pride, but it must be done. you say you can see no way back, but in my experience, parents will forgive just about anything, the hard part is asking them to. It will mean relying on them, which I know will be hard, especially for you, but your have to gain a little trust in the world around you. you have no control of the things that happen, of the people, but if you trust them, and you help them, the world helps you.

[hr]

A fish swims into a wall and says "DAM"
eternally optimistic - against all evidence
the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:30 pm

Hey. Depression is a very real illness and totally sucks - I've had clinical depression for ages and this has caused me to be needy and put myself in situations where I am exploited, etc. I don't know the full details of your split, but depressives can be very diffficult, almost impossible to live with (my Dad's manic and it's not fun) but also, if you are a nice person otherwise, you do have, I believe, a right to expect people to support you. not necessarily to stay in a relationship with you, but to be there, and if you have friends and you speak to them, I'm sure they will be understanding - or some will - the others are merely over whelmed by a problem to big for them to understand.

Try to look at the positive things in life, very difficult I know, but eventually po0sssible. Everyone ha times they feel they havee NO ONE to turn to, but most of the time you do have some one. If you are stuck, and need to talk about depression with someone who understands as little then find me one facebook - Hope Estella Whitmore - or e-mail hw49.

I don't think you're over reacting. You are in a truly awful situation, but you have to believe it will be ok.

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Return to Advice Please!