Home

TheSinner.net

Future Dissertation Dilemma

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Future Dissertation Dilemma

Postby socker on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:28 pm

If I’m doing joint honours in English / Mod History do I have to do a dissertation in either of my honours years? Can I just do modules over both years? Would anyone recommend one over the other? Thanks.
socker

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:35 am

I honestly have not a clue. I do, however have a reason for posting.

I thought the thread title said "Futurama Dissertation Dilemma" which, I'm sure you'll agree, sounds infintely more interesting!

Woops, do have something vaguely useful. In the joint Maths and Theoretical Physics course as both subjects themselves stipulate you need to do a project at Masters level, they require a project to be conducted, but only in one subject (ie Maths or Theoretical Physics). I cannot say whether this'd be the same, but I'd imagine you still need to do some sort of project/dissertation/labwork equivalent, so then I'd also imagine it'd be a simple one or the other choice.

Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Okocim on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:45 pm

I don't know anything about current degree requirements, but I can say that my modern history dissertation was the most interesting piece of work I completed during four years at St Andrews. It's all 'real' history where you get to hunt for stuff and put together your own ideas rather than simply answer questions posed by a lecturer.

Following graduation, nobody has ever asked me how I got on in any of my regular academic modules, but interviewers and colleagues have sometimes asked about my dissertation. It is definetly a benefit to to have done one overall.
Okocim

Re:

Postby socker on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:37 pm

That’s just sealed it for me. Thanks.
socker

Return to Advice Please!