Home

TheSinner.net

Fibbing Flatmate

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Fibbing Flatmate

Postby dilema on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:05 am

I have just looked at the Sinner and discovered one of my flatmates is looking for new accomodation and is advertising her room for someone else to tkae on in 2nd semester. I went and asked her if it was her and she flat out denied it - even though it is her email address on the ad. Being stalkeresque I then checked her facebook wall and there were messages on there saying "any luck with the flathunt" or words to that effect. What can I do without calling her a liar? Should I confront her again and say - look I have this (perhaps ill-gotten) evidence, tell me the truth? Or should I wait for her to come to her own decision?

The thing is that she is advertising her room and people are responding to her messages but at the end of the day it's us who has to live with this person, shouldn't my other flatmate and I have some say in who's going to live with us? How to go about it - some advice please?
dilema

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:49 am

confront her. Try not to be confrontational about it; point out that if she is doing this, you will have to live with the outcome, and thus deserve a say.

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am

You could always reply to her "ad" with another email address and then be really interested etc etc and arrange to "see the flat." ...but thats probably a little immature and unnecessary. I'd say just be plain honest and say you saw the ad on the sinner and let her know that its fine with you and she should feel free to talk to you about any problems she has, but you would like to be involved in choosing the new flatmate as you will have to live with him/her.
Lyeta

Re:

Postby theflirt on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 pm

Perhaps she hasn't mentioned anything to you, so far, in case she cannot find someone to take her room and thereofore doesn't want to upset/annoy you in case she isn't moving out. She may also find it hard to talk to you about things and hence hasn't mentioned it...maybe instead of worrying about yourself you should think about your flatmates feelings/problems and possibly try and help her or accomadate her!

why were you looking at accomodation anyways?

[hr]

oh pants
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby just_looking on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:02 am

Just sit her down and say listen you silly bitch I know what your playing at I saw the messages just come clean and I can call you a cow and find a new flat mate. Oh yes!!! tell her she reeks of pish and you never liked her anyway. You will feel better later.
just_looking

Re:

Postby dilema on Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting theflirt from 17:44, 29th Jan 2007
Perhaps she hasn't mentioned anything to you, so far, in case she cannot find someone to take her room and thereofore doesn't want to upset/annoy you in case she isn't moving out. She may also find it hard to talk to you about things and hence hasn't mentioned it...maybe instead of worrying about yourself you should think about your flatmates feelings/problems and possibly try and help her or accomadate her!

why were you looking at accomodation anyways?

I as looking at Accom as my other flatmate is going into her final year next year and is looking for someone to live with so I check the boards from time to time to see if there's anything up there.

"Instead of worrying about myself"? I reckon you'd be worried too if you were in the position where possibly POSSIBLY someone unvetted by yourself was moving into your flat (think possible axe-murderer for an extreme). At any rate, we had a big chat this afternnon and it felt like we sorted some stuff out. We'll see how it goes.
dilema

Return to Advice Please!