Home

TheSinner.net

Any chance of a 2.1????

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Any chance of a 2.1????

Postby Idealist on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:05 pm

I posted something similar to this on the results thread on the main board but i fear it may get lost amidst all of the excitment!

Ok, so after working out all of my honours results, I have discovered that I am 0.2 away from being considered for a 2.1, and I am so so gutted about this! I cocked up two modules last year and it has really destroyed my mean (which is sitting at 12.8).

Does anyone know of any circumstance where in a situation like this, the department have decided to be generous and consider awarding a 2.1? I got a really good mark for my dissertation, would this help my cause?

I do have an unconditional offer for a place on a post-grad course so its not like I'm really dependant on a 2.1...I just really don't want to leave St Andrews with a 2.2, especially as I am so close to a 2.1!!

Am I clutching at straws???

[hr]

[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:16 pm

Ironic User Names ftw.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby househunter on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:08 pm

You're actually 0.7 away from a 2.1. You're only 0.2 away from an exam board decision which could still give you a 2.2 if they should wish so.

So unless you're challenging an exam grade decision, you have no chance of being bumped up to a 2.1. Sorry.

EDIT:: Actually, are you sure you're calculating the credit weighted mean and not just the mean of the grades?
(doesn't matter if the credits for the modules are all the same tho)
househunter

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Its is far too easy to get a 2:i at his uni without stupid upgrades. Get over it, move on.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Hex on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 pm

If the credit weighted median is above 13.5 with a 12.8 credit weighted median the result is: "Lower Second, but may be referred for consideration for an Upper Second."

If it was only a couple of poor modules that have dragged down your mean then your credit weighted median may well be above 13.5. But even if it is then don't be too hopeful. The guidelines for that case are:

"Additionally, in the exceptional cases in which the weighted mean falls below a borderzone but the weighted median is above it, the Board of Examiners can consider whether (with the agreement of the External Examiners) to recommend to the Dean that the higher class be awarded."
Hex

Re:

Postby fran on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:58 pm

Just out of curiosity: What subject are you and where did they accept you for a postgrad?

Apart from that (to everyone now): Does anyone know of any successful appeal cases?
fran

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:49 pm

I appealed my lack of entry to Mod Hist at the end of second year - I got a 9.7 overall, even though my work throughout the year had been over 11s, so I just happened to muck up in the exam.

I made an appeal on the grounds that my flatmates and I were undergoing relatively serious accomodation issues during revision time and wrote to them appealing on the basis that I hadn't missed a single tutorial all year; that I had handed in all work on time; contributed to class discussions actively and that I'd got decent marks throughout first and second year. I still got rejected, but fortunately I had enough credits in Mediaeval History to do "History" which ironically worked out better for me because it didn't stop me doing the Modern courses I wanted alongside some in Mediaeval.

I was a bit let down and disappointed in the School when they didn't make an exception, especially because people on The Sinner had given the impression that even total losers won appeals, even those who were really bad at handing in work or who missed loads of classes. However, as I ended up doing courses in Mediaeval that I enjoyed it wasn't necessarily to my detriment.

[hr]
box_of_delights

Return to Advice Please!