Home

TheSinner.net

good dentist in st andrews...

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

good dentist in st andrews...

Postby wf on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi,
Can anyone recomend a good dentist in st andrews?
Will
wf

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:39 pm

Peter Davidson is great. I only used him in an emergency but he was fantastic. I think he lectures in Dentistry at Dundee and writes textbooks.

Re:

Postby Garnet on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:10 am

good luck getting one. I needed an emergency appointment and was told the nearest avaliable place was kirkcaldy

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Peter Davidson

Postby Mac2 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:31 pm

I second Peter Davidson.

He's private, but gives a Student discount and is very reasonable.

Recommended++
Mac2

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Quoting Mac2 from 12:31, 21st Nov 2007
I second Peter Davidson.

He's private, but gives a Student discount and is very reasonable.

Recommended++

Where does he practice from? And does he take NHS patients? I have wisdom teeth coming in, and I remember being told a while ago by my dentist that my mouth might not be big enough for them....which is mildly worrying, not to mention painful...
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:20 pm

He is near the bottom of South Street. I don't think he does NHS patients. I think there is one NHS dentist in St. Andrews(that may have changed though, I havent been there for 2 years) - and that practice was full and probably still is.

Peter Davidson's discount is very good. If you have to pay, I would use him and take advantage of the Student discount.

Re:

Postby flossy on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:33 pm

The NHS one only takes on under 5s and over 60s as far as I'm aware. They'll give you the number for the emergency NHS dentist if you need it.

Do you have an NHS dentist at home? If so, it's well worth keeping your membership up to date and booking check-ups for when you're home visiting the relatives.

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting flossy from 18:33, 23rd Nov 2007
Do you have an NHS dentist at home? If so, it's well worth keeping your membership up to date and booking check-ups for when you're home visiting the relatives.

My own problem is that St Andrews is effectively my home, for the duration of my time at university at least. I guess I may just have to bite the bullet and go to see Peter Davidson or someone at some point. Does anyone know what sort of figures he charges for, say, a check-up?

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:06 pm

I have no dentist at home, he went private, and was charging membership just for the pleasure of being a patient of his, let alone treatment, I decided I wasn't going to line his pocket and pay for his months holiday to some where exotic. So I haven't seen a dentist in 2 years....
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:07 pm

About 18 months ago I had really bad toothache so I went around a few of the dentists in town. one of them gve me a number for emergency dental treatment in Fife. I rang them up and within 24hrs had an appointment with the dentist on North Street and I was able to make an appointment with them after my initial consultation to have my temporary filling changed for a proper one. Cost me about 12 quid. Surely the internet must have the mystical Fife Emergency Dental number for your wisdom teeth....

Otherwise, I'd say Dental Hospital in Dundee. I believe they have an emergency drop-in clinic or something. From what I've heard, once you get an emergency appt. with them, then you;re on their books - but this could be a myth...

edit: Fife Dental Helpline 01592 740230
[hr]

CALLBACK!!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby Garnet on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:21 pm

you were very lucky i phoned that number and as i said before got told nearest place was kirkcaldy, they give you an appointment from anywhere in Fife and for someone who doesn't have transport it was too far.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:11 pm

I used to be with a dentist on North Street, Just across from the Irvine building.

BT.com doesn't have it listed anymore. It was the Aber-somethingorother surgery, I think.

Can anybody help me? I need to get work done and my 'own' dentist at home won't do it for me because he's booked up too far in advance.

Or, does anybody know of a good dentist in Dundee?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Skeve on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 pm

You have a thing called the X24
Skeve

Re:

Postby cam on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:23 pm

NHS 24 is shit when it comes to dentistry... I needed emergency treatment and they said it wasn't serious enough over the weekend to warrant treatment at Dundee.

I called up Louise Davidson on South Street on a saturday evening and she arranged to see me within an hour and do an emergency repair. I then saw her on the Tuesday morning when she completed the treatment.

She was great, and I'm guessing she must be the wife of Mr Davidson, mentioned earlier. Her practice is near the Mediaeval History department on South Street.

The other thing was that surprisingly the cost wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be for the treatment. If you're desperate with toothache you sometimes just need to go private.
cam

Return to Advice Please!