Home

TheSinner.net

Recalled library books

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Recalled library books

Postby fluffy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:59 am

Help!! I have an essay due on Friday. 5000 words. There are two books I really want to use, which are out of the library and which I have recalled about 5 days ago. But they haven't been returned to the library yet (im the only one that recalled them). and they're officially due (without the recall) on friday. is there any way to get hold of these? someone is obviously ignoring the recall emails, which I think is hideously unfair... they've had them over a week.
Please help...

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby ribs on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting fluffy from 09:59, 11th Dec 2007
Help!! I have an essay due on Friday. 5000 words. There are two books I really want to use, which are out of the library and which I have recalled about 5 days ago. But they haven't been returned to the library yet (im the only one that recalled them). and they're officially due (without the recall) on friday. is there any way to get hold of these? someone is obviously ignoring the recall emails, which I think is hideously unfair... they've had them over a week.
Please help...

[hr]

I don't think there's any way but you could always talk to the library staff and see if they can do anything. Otherwise your lecturers might have copies of the books and lend them to you.
I was in the same position - I'd recalled a book ages ago for an essay due yesterday and they handed it back late today :(

[hr]

"It's hard to be modest when you're as good as I am"
Muhammad Ali
Summer is a state of mind.
ribs

Re:

Postby RobFett on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:13 am

Explain the situation to your lecturer. Perhaps they will give you an extension.
RobFett

Re:

Postby maenad on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:59 am

Don't people get a week's notice when a book they have out has been recalled? Therefore, if you recalled it 'about five days ago' it would indeed be due on Thursday or Friday. In fact, if it's a long loan book it would normally be due in February, so if it's due on Friday the recall has been applied to it. Why do you think they're officially due "without the recall" on Friday?

I know it's annoying for you but the other person is following the rules. You could easily have been that person, trying to finish the book and complaining that someone has recalled it for Friday.

Even if the other person was supposed to bring them back before Friday (which they aren't) I'm afraid there's nothing you can do if said person is willing to pay the fines.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Get two other people to recall it and it will be put in Short Loan, but I'm not sure whether that will get the books back any sooner?

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting maenad from 11:59, 13th Dec 2007
Don't people get a week's notice when a book they have out has been recalled? Therefore, if you recalled it 'about five days ago' it would indeed be due on Thursday or Friday. In fact, if it's a long loan book it would normally be due in February, so if it's due on Friday the recall has been applied to it. Why do you think they're officially due "without the recall" on Friday?

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?

FYI, multiple copies are also subject to recall. Although, even if you do recall them, you still don't get them earlier; the person just can't renew them.

Anyways; Why don't you tell us which books you need on the off-chance someone has them?

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:26 pm

I suppose your best bet is to ask people in your class, though if there's lots of you they could be difficult to track down. Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do, can the library give you the name of the person?

I almost did that to someone for an essay, then I decided it was awfully immoral.

Re:

Postby maenad on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:21 am

I forgot about MCs. I haven't recalled one myself but it looks like you'd still get the week anyway.

Quoting from 17:37, 11th Dec 2007
can the library give you the name of the person?

No, this breaks data protection laws.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Return to Advice Please!