Home

TheSinner.net

Durham Buses

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Durham Buses

Postby sat on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Does anyone here have any experience of travelling about Durham? Specifically I'm looking for bus services from the (rail) station to a University department (mathematics) or the town centre in general but nothing seems to give anything useful.
sat

Re:

Postby lost on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 am

It is very easy and short to walk from the train station to the different university departments (unless its biology which I think is up a massive hill!)
lost

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 am

Walk you lazy git. Googleearth for a map, 30mins max. The quickest way is to head down North Road(opposite the roundabout at the bottom of the station approach road), sharp right at the bottom to the Fighting Cocks then left then up the hill along South Street and basically straight ahead along Pimlico then past a roundabout then past the New Inn and you're there.
Midget

Re:

Postby sat on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:36 am

Quoting Midget from 09:19, 17th Jan 2008
Walk you lazy git.

Quite.

Quoting Midget from 09:19, 17th Jan 2008
... 30mins max. The quickest way is to head down North Road(opposite the roundabout at the bottom of the station approach road), sharp right at the bottom to the Fighting Cocks then left then up the hill along South Street and basically straight ahead along Pimlico then past a roundabout then past the New Inn and you're there.

The map I looked at would suggest something like that, and indeed I was told about 20-30 minutes: getting there's not really a problem, and I'd usually just do it on foot. Though, there may be possibilities of punctually challenged trains, extreme rain etc., in which case it is useful to be able to jump on a bus. And it's always nice to have contingency plans.

Though quite aside from the relative merits of walking and otherwise, what struck me was the difficulty of finding details of an obvious provider of town services: Arriva seems to do buses in the area but their service list didn't have anything obvious, and Stagecoach didn't have much either it seemed.

Oh, and thanks for the replies.
sat

Re:

Postby CheeseDaddy on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:55 am

Well the easiest way to get there is probably to walk. Arriva run most of the buses and the service is generally awful, you'd be lucky to get a bus in the time it would take to walk there. You wont actually get a bus from the station, you'd have to walk down into town anyway so personally I wouldnt bother. However if you would rather catch a bus I reckon the 55/55A, 56 or 57 would get you there, although ive no idea where they stop near the uni. Walking is definitly the best bet, Durham is small enough that everything is within walking distance
CheeseDaddy

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 am

I find this a rather useful source of information, it may help.

http://www.traveline.info/index.htm
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:58 am

Sorry, but I have no idea about buses and looking for anything online is a nightmare -why can't there be online bus info like there is for rail -involving different service providers, telling you how to get from A to B?
Midget

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:21 am

Quoting midget from 10:58, 17th Jan 2008
Sorry, but I have no idea about buses and looking for anything online is a nightmare -why can't there be online bus info like there is for rail -involving different service providers, telling you how to get from A to B?

That link I provided is actually quite good,it has information about several bus providers usually (nationwide I believe), and various methods of travel other than buses and trains. It has always helped me to get from A to B anyway.
theonlyone

Re:

Postby sat on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:35 am

Quoting midget from 10:58, 17th Jan 2008

That would require companies to talk to eachother... Though maybe rail providers are more amiable and willing to cooperate.

The point about buses being awful is noted.
Quoting CheeseDaddy from 09:55, 17th Jan 2008
Walking is definitly the best bet, Durham is small enough that everything is within walking distance

Right. Well that's quite helpful. I suppose, having never been, I don't have any idea of its size.

Again, thanks for the information.
sat

Re:

Postby CheeseDaddy on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Of course you could always go to the northbound platform at the station, theres a taxi rank there if you really dont feel like walking.
CheeseDaddy

Return to Advice Please!