Home

TheSinner.net

Cat litter training

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Cat litter training

Postby flossy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:13 am

I've just got a 6 year old rescue cat who is a wonderful pet except for her "business". she has previously been litter trained but she has taken to pooping behind the front door (she does however pee in her litter tray - go figure). Simple answer would be to move the tray behind the door but then i wouldn't be able to get in or out...

Any tips?

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby davearnie on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:06 pm

You really just have to keep at it. Cats are a strange breed.

For one : you have to keep the litter tray very clean - if it is not, a cat will generally go wherever it pleases.

To get it to actually go to the litter tray, you have to just keep taking it there.

Everytime you notice it going towards the door, go over to it and physically pick it up and put it in the litter tray. Keep doing this and the cat will eventually get it.
davearnie

Re:

Postby Fenella on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Some cats can be picky about the type of litter, so you could try using different kinds to see if she prefers something else. Also try changing the depth of litter.

Is the litter box covered? A lot of cats don't like to be watched and prefer having a cover, while others don't like using a covered box.

How close do you have the litter box to where you feed her, or where her bed is? Cats don't like to defecate near either of those areas, so make sure you keep them well separated.

Good luck!
Fenella

Re:

Postby HarryP on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Does she miaow wanting to go out before she goes by the door or just wanders there, does it and then curl up again? Some cats just prefer to poop outdoors....
HarryP

Re:

Postby flossy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:19 pm

I replicated the litter tray from the shelter, in terms of using wood-based litter, uncovered and in the corridor away from the kitchen where she eats. She doesn't miaow before she does it, she just sneaks off.

I bought her a harness and leash and we went for our first walk today (she's always been a housecat so she's not allowed out alone). It was fun but sadly no outdoor pooping...

[hr]

flossy

Re:

Postby Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Stick a cork in it.
Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop

Return to Advice Please!