Home

TheSinner.net

Out of your depth?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Out of your depth?

Postby Kirsty on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm currently in second year but I am constantly feeling that I am out of my depth. My grades are okay but nothing to shout about. Everyone else just seems to be able to do so much better than me and I am always worried that I won't be able to hit those 11s i need to get for next year. I do quite a lot of work but I always feel that it's never enough. In tutorials other people seem to know so much more than me and have the confidence to ramble on where as i just get embarrased and go red when ever i have to speak up. I enjoy and understand my course but i don't seem to have the same grasp as others do.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Kirsty

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:29 am

From the sounds of things you need to chill out. University presents opportunities to think for yourself. You say others have the 'confidence' to 'ramble on'. Are you sure they're actually saying anything worthy of merit, or just gabbing off because they like the sound of their own voice?
Go to the union and get drunk more or do karaoke or something. University also offers opportunities to flourish as an individual without someone taking offense at said flourishing and stab you as a consequence. Examine why you are embarassed to speak up, because without a doubt the reasons won't make much sense when scrutinised according to conventional logic.
University allows you the chance to appreciate just how much more intelligent you are than everyone else. If you have something to say, say it. If not, don't say anything.
Um...join the chatroom.
Also, if you are enjoying the course and find it interesting, as well as doing all the required work, you will easily surpass those vital 11s.
Plenty of people feel various things at and about St Andrews. Fear not.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Tigger on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:42 am

you didnt say what subject your doing. Ill be entirely honest with you, i felt the same when i hit second year cos i didnt bother my ass thru first year. my grades were shit too, and i asked for feedback from tutors. it was all down to essay structure, continuation of argument etc. wineboy is right, you need to relax, get ahead in work, do your essays a couple of wees early, and get feedback off your tutor for an essay outline. they are usually alright about it. and read stuff noone else does in second year. link arguments to original books, people tend to go for newer editions, and leave out some important info. my best essay grade was due to 6 pre 1960 books, that were written by now dead professors from academia.
on the other hand, if your a scientist, then it might be the way your learning. you may be more of an aural person rather than visual, in which case, take a dictaphone into class. if its the other way round, take your laptop whenever possible, have notes on the subject from webct etc already up, and add to them in a different font colour. then you can go over them at night, condense them, and skim the important stuff!!
hope i was a help.
ps..
if things are really bad, you may not be ready to hit uni yet, maybe a year out, working, volunteering, something, would kickstart your enthusiasm.

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby the Empress on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:39 am

I wouldn't worry about having trouble speaking in class. I was the same in second year, but just more experience, getting to know classmates help, as well as taking modules you end up being passionate about. Being really into something helps when you do presentations! Those classmates who ramble on? Chances are they're talking rubbish, or have quite doiminating personalities (it might be grating on more than just you! lol, watch your tutor's face;). I used to be quite intimidated when I first started uni, but I started to recognise fallicies and often paraphrasing/quotations from text books when others were speaking. I agree with the above, reading widely and independently means that you can come up with quite original essays - hitting the 18s and 19s. If you're having trouble with grades, you might be weaker on exams or essays, so identifying which will help you. Not sure what subject you're doing, but good structure in essays is always be vital. If something doesn't quite fit in your essay or argument, even if it sounds good, be ruthless and pull it out.

Struggling in the beginning can actually be helpful later on, as you can take on board criticism and improve, and know how to persevere. I've known people who peak, and then blame poorer grades on particular tutors, instead of re-examining their work. Hope that helps a bit!
the Empress

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:40 am

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 00:29, 21st Mar 2008
what not

rob - i love you.

You're ace too Tigger(******) and Empress(*****). You guys should be the only people allowed to speak on the sinner.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:22 am

Hey there Kirsty, I'm in exactly the same boat as you, I'm second year Ancient History and wondering what the heck is going on most of the time, and what indeed I am going to do with my degree. It's more common than you think to have doubts about your course/the university, so if you want to talk about it message me on the sinner or facebook me, it's actually sometimes easier to talk about it with someone else having the same difficulties than with your housemates/close friends who arent.

Anyway at the moment I think personally it's a phase everyone goes through in their second year, though I'm still torn as to whether I should buckle down and get on with the work or just have a complete rethink of everything.

Student Support Services are available to talk to as well, and much more accessible than you'd think, I had a couple of chats with them in my first year and they really helped me out and were very sympathetic.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:14 pm

Rob someone loves you!!!! Quick say something to upset someone.

I was in the same boat given that I pretty much took 1st year as a year out and really did nothing. I realised the mistake when I went into second year and despite working hard have felt I have been playing catch up ever since.
I have found that getting a friend to proof my essays first has done me the world of good for my grades at that end. Unfortunatly I cant have someone do that for me in exams (hence the bad marks). To be honest if you are doing the work you will get the 11s you need. But be prewarned there is a big jump in expectations when you hit honours so try your best to relax a bit while you can and read some things relevant to your course over the summer rather than just forgetting everything you have learned.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby beeny on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:12 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 04:40, 21st Mar 2008
what not

rob - i love you.

You're ace too Tigger(******) and Empress(*****). You guys should be the only people allowed to speak on the sinner.

[hr]

Someone drunk foo?

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:14 pm

extremely, but i think there was truth in it :P

[hr]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Internet Police on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 04:40, 21st Mar 2008
what not

rob - i love you.

[hr]

Wrong. Instant fail. Please relinquish your rights to the internet.
Internet Police

Return to Advice Please!