Home

TheSinner.net

Where to eat?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Where to eat?

Postby januaryrain on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:16 pm

So my parents are coming up tomorrow and want me to find somewhere to take them to grab a snack for lunch. Any recommendations?
januaryrain

Re:

Postby fatboy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:44 pm

DRA Bistro
fatboy

Re:

Postby James01 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm

The Oak Rooms is really nice, if a bit expensive. Order the club sandwich, its excellent!
James01

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:02 pm

The sushi bar under the Thai restaurant is amazing! I recommend the bento boxes.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby romantic on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 17:02, 28th Mar 2008
The sushi bar under the Thai restaurant is amazing! I recommend the bento boxes.

Agreed. The salmon bento box is great.
romantic

Re:

Postby Freaker on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:19 pm

I say Oak Rooms, always a nice place and just the right mix between formal restaurant atmosphere and casual.

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 pm

I like the Grill House.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeugh! i like to eat that special food so tasy tum! little cow cow moo go beef strew!!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:55 pm

An excellent "snack" at lunchtime can always be got at the Whey Pat: all they do really is soup and sandwiches, but the soup always seems to be a good homemade one, and the sandwiches are stuffed-full triple-decker affairs. There's usually a special and a pudding too. (And you can have a decent pint along with it.)

The plougman's is also excellent.
sat

Re:

Postby ojk6 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:02 pm

OK so it's no doubt too late now but the Harbour House Cafe opposite MacIntosh is excellent and very reasonable.

Quoting januaryrain from 15:16, 28th Mar 2008
So my parents are coming up tomorrow and want me to find somewhere to take them to grab a snack for lunch. Any recommendations?
ojk6

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:46 pm

Depends on your parents, I like the Grill House or the Raisin. Tasty and relatively cheap.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:56 pm

God no! When was the last time you ate in the raisin? Dry tasteless filth. Only thing its good for is having with a pint when you pissed. IMO

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:19 am

The Raisin's Scream burgers were amazing for a quick lunch over a pint.

Otherwise, I was a big fan of the Vic's baguettes with curly fries.

[hr]

[s]http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440&pwstdfy=c9c14f50e63e4951ba5a9abb7ffcdc6e[/s]
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:05 pm

I remember having some BBQ chicken malarky and a pint and still had change for a fiver in the Raisin. For my unfussy palette I was happy enough :) Recommend'd!

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 pm

The Raisin is cheap and cheerful, but there's always better places to eat, I'm afraid. (Grand if everywhere else is full, but St Andrews has a fair few decent resturants)

So, my recommendations (late as they might be):

- Grill House (I don't think I've had a bad meal in there in a long time, and I eat there every other week almost, lunch menu is usually very good)
- Jahanghir (Another typically good resturant. Not much else to be said: good food, not too pricey)
- Glass House (Not quite as good or interesting food as the Grill house, but a decent, if plainer, alternative. Makes up for increased plainness with a slightly higher posh sensation)
- The Balaka (More expensive than Jahanghir but offers a more unique menu and, I think, is a bit better...but both are good)

I also like Little Johns and the Dolls House, and Peppercorn wasn't too bad either, though slightly pricey for the quality.

Best bet, IMO, is the Grill House. Very good food for the price of it, especially at lunch time.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Return to Advice Please!