Home

TheSinner.net

Dr-Teacher?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Dr-Teacher?

Postby fluffy on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:16 pm

I want to do an MRes after my MA in International Relations. And then do a phD in the same. But a part of me still wants to train to be a teacher. Would it be possible to do both. Ie. do the the phD and then if nothing else really grabs me, train as a teacher? I assume the local body wouldn't fund the teacher training on top of the MRes though, right? Anyone done this before?

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I was taught chemistry at school by a Dr Dick, so I don't see why not.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Grant on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm

I was taught Biology at high school by a Dr Thomson (and he was bloody great), and a huge chunk of the science department were either Prof.s or Dr's, so its definitley possible.
Grant

Re:

Postby fluffy on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:09 pm

but they were science people - do you think it is different for arts people? and does anyone know whether the LEA will fund a teaching qualification after gaining a phD or will it have to be entirely off my own back?

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:21 pm

My English teacher for Advanced Higher became Dr Hall half way through the year, being plain old Mr Hall before that.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby beeny on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 pm

in my last year at school, history was taught by an american academic - dr tidswell

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby Tigger on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I was taught chemistry by Dr. Jeckyl.

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby October on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:23 pm

I was taught English by a Dr Weatherhog.

[hr]

Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting October from 23:23, 28th Apr 2008
I was taught English by a Dr Weatherhog.

That's an awesome name. I was surprised when I actually got results when I googled it just now.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Jay on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:20 pm

Quoting beeny from 21:18, 28th Apr 2008
in my last year at school, history was taught by an american academic - dr tidswell

[hr]

I was taught history by a David Tidswell from America at my first high school - same one perhaps?

[hr]

Friends applaud, the comedy is over. (Beethoven, on his deathbed)
Friends applaud, the comedy is over. (Beethoven, on his deathbed)
Jay

Re:

Postby Bubbles on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:12 pm

There is nothing to stop you becoming a teacher at any age. So even if it is something you want to come back to later you can. I graduated from St A last year and now doing my teacher training in Dundee. Its been a really good course so far but is so demanding time-wise (it really is a full time course). All the people on my course are older than me, having had a career before going into teaching which shows it is something you can go back to.
Bubbles

Re:

Postby Bubbles on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Are you thinking of training in England? Did you know that if you trained in Scotland and that your subject is a 'shortage' subject you can get funding from SAAS. Think you have to be resident in Scotland for 3+ years though.
Bubbles

Re:

Postby househunter on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 pm

Also don't forget that if you train in England (not Scotland unfortunately) and are from the EU, you get a training bursary which currently stands at £6000 or £9000 for shortage subjects. This is paid monthly whilst training on the PGCE course.

Big problem with England though is the top up fees of up to £3000 that you have to pay.
househunter

Re:

Postby Edinburgh Boy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Very many people with doctoral qualifications entering teaching at all ages, whether they have or have not done a PGCE. Some private schools do not require it but do look for other examples of teaching, such as temporary lecturing. Given the very heavy workload at most schools, I would advise doing your doctorate first, and then, should you wish, apply for a PGCE.
Edinburgh Boy

Re:

Postby Top-up hater on Thu May 15, 2008 8:34 am

Actually, this year top up fees aren't longer capped at £3000.

It's £3145, if you wish to start in '08/'09
Top-up hater

Return to Advice Please!