Home

TheSinner.net

Feeling Down

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Feeling Down

Postby Buzzy on Wed May 28, 2008 6:35 pm

So University is over for another summer and although I have got an amazing summer planned I feel really down about having to leave St Andrews. I'm really gonna miss my mates here, and also started seeing a girl a few weeks ago who I happen to really really like, except I probably won't see her all summer. I need a boost but not sure where I'll get one from. I know this seems really petty, but maybe I just need something to occupy my time so I don't sit and stew on my depressed state. Does anyone else feel similar?
Buzzy

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I find physical exercise is best for this. Go for a run, get to the gym for a couple of hours, it's a great timewaster and you can really get in to a good fitness routine.

Once you get to a time of the day when you feel comfortable, ring up someone still in town and get into a pub. The rest of the routine goes a bit like this:

Order the drink
Sit down
Stare at the drink
Drink the drink (two fingers minimum)
Stare at the drink
Drink the drink
Stare at the drink
Drink the drink

other rules are simple;
- if a girl comes in say something demeaning or complementary while tapping your mate on the shoulder. If you need help with this concept, check out this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification )
- Drinks should be instantly replenished.
- Small talk is purely optional.
- You cannot leave until the pub closes or you run out of money.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Don't give us your pish on Wed May 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting Buzzy from 17:05, 28th May 2008
Does anyone else feel similar?

No we have real problems.
Don't give us your pish

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Wed May 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting Don't give us your pish from 20:44, 28th May 2008

Very sympathetic, have you ever considered going into state counselling? You'd fit in well.

If you're worried about the girl try and text her or give her a ring every so often so she doesn't forget you. If you have a good summer planned focus on that and the time will pass fairly quickly, is there anything you can plan in anticipation of it?
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Nelson on Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting Don't give us your pish from 20:44, 28th May 2008

Nice to see another anonymous internet hardman, enjoy your moment of power did you?
Nelson

Re:

Postby HookerBot on Thu May 29, 2008 1:44 am

Don't worry m'darlin. I feel much the same...I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did, but hey, I think once you're back home and into a routine again, the down-ness will fade.
Gah, I'm still drunk. And not in a good way either. :(
HookerBot

Re:

Postby Pacitti on Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 am

I feel exactally the same. i hate being home, my life's up here now. i reckomend the above drinkin solution it does work well. make the most of the time you have left with mates and the girl, it'll be fine.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37109385
Pacitti

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Thu May 29, 2008 10:54 am

Woe is me, life is not going to be quite as awesome for the next few months. I don't often feel like hurling random abuse, but for those of us whose summer fell through, their mates are not home, or are too busy to spend any time with them, and don't have a fine young wench to come back too this is a little insulting. Get over it, everyone else does.

[hr]

eternally optimistic - against all evidence
the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby Dark_Soul on Thu May 29, 2008 11:02 am

You say you need something to occupy your time, but are you not going to have a job when you go back home? Having a job, especially a physically challenging one, will make the time fly by as all you will do is work and sleep. Then again, that's not going to help your situation if you're already going to be down in the dumps as you'll be more depressed.

You also say you have an amazing summer planned so I'm going to assume you'll be travelling or going on holiday? Doesn't sound too bad to me!

As for the girl, if its meant to be then I'm sure it'll work. Also, if your mates really are your mates then you are bound to keep in touch somehow.

[hr]

Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel, when you are gone?
Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel, when you are gone?
Dark_Soul

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu May 29, 2008 11:06 am

Quoting the racing tortoise from 11:54, 29th May 2008
Woe is me, life is not going to be quite as awesome for the next few months. I don't often feel like hurling random abuse, but for those of us whose summer fell through, their mates are not home, or are too busy to spend any time with them, and don't have a fine young wench to come back too this is a little insulting. Get over it, everyone else does.

Just because your situation is worse that doesn't mean that it is necessarily any more difficult to deal with.

For example, imagine a man who loses a limb in an unprovoked attack being told "Stop whining, at least you didn't get murdered".

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Thu May 29, 2008 12:17 pm

Get over it, everyone else does.

[hr]

Clearly judging from your bitter tone everyone else does not get over it ;)

Also, is your signature meant to be ironic?
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Did you not read the post about Heroin???! They have real problems...grow up.

Re:

Postby anonymous internet hardman on Thu May 29, 2008 1:03 pm

For example, imagine a man who loses a limb in an unprovoked attack

Now there's a real problem.
anonymous internet hardman

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Thu May 29, 2008 3:20 pm

So University is over for another summer and although I have got an amazing summer planned I feel really down about having to leave St Andrews. I'm really gonna miss my mates here, and also started seeing a girl a few weeks ago who I happen to really really like, except I probably won't see her all summer. I need a boost but not sure where I'll get one from. I know this seems really petty, but maybe I just need something to occupy my time so I don't sit and stew on my depressed state. Does anyone else feel similar?

I think a lot of people feel like thisat the end of the year - it's not easy leaving your St Andrews life behind and heading back home. I always find the best way to distract myself is working and getting into a routine. 9-5 job, quick dinner, head to the gym for a couple of hours and then go home to watch a movie/tv/sleep/facebook stalk all my friends who seem to have amazing adventurous summers travelling the globe :-P

You could try finding uni people who live within a couple of hours and arrange some weekend meet ups at the nearest big city? And skype is great for keeping up with everyone (free!!!).

As for the girl, have you spoken about what's going to happen over the summer? She's probably worrying about it as much as you are and would love for you to suggest a few visits during the holiday.
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Thu May 29, 2008 9:17 pm

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 13:17, 29th May 2008
Get over it, everyone else does.

[hr]

Clearly judging from your bitter tone everyone else does not get over it ;)

Also, is your signature meant to be ironic?

Ok I'm more than a little bitter, things in comparison to the original poster really seem to suck for me right now, and I really don't think he deserves any sympathy. Not because I do, because I know things could be a hell of a lot worse for me (and don't expect or deserve sympathy), but because I think they have been spoilt rotten and need to learn to cope with the "bad" times. This thread may have touched a nerve.

As for the sig, I do expect things to get better, but they really don't look good now. The poster is the opposite, getting upset at nothing, so I think it is very appropriate.

In terms of productive advice I would recommend going for a long run, but seriously get a grip.

[hr]

the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby Pacitti on Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 am

ok so i think that people are taking this a little too seriously! MY interpritation of the original post was more to do with how other people felt about leaving st andrews not about gettin sympathy.

yes this is not a serious 'problem' but it may be that this situation has affected the OP in a detrimential way.

it's about your perspective on the situation.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37109385
Pacitti

Re:

Postby beeny on Fri May 30, 2008 1:44 am

Quoting Pacitti from 01:45, 30th May 2008

it's about your perspective on the situation.

[hr]

Can't talk for anyone else, but i'm personally a little annoyed at the word 'depressed' being bandied about as if we all get down when something doesn't seem to go our way.

Think the original poster needs the perspective you talk about. Or at least an edit to the post...

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri May 30, 2008 6:52 am

I think you confuse depression and clinical depression.

Depression: Depression, or a depressed mood, may in everyday English refer to a state of melancholia, unhappiness or sadness, or to a relatively minor downturn in mood that may last only a few hours or days. This is generally seen as quite distinct from the diagnosis of clinical depression.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Nelson on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Wow some of you really are heartless bastards! Surely depression (not clinical depression) is an subjective state so it's not really up to you to decide how depressed the original poster is!

Also, I don't think the OP was looking for sympathy, more like advice on others who feel like it and deal with their problem.

Personally, I wish the OP a great summer, and am sure everything will work out well!

(edited for typo)
Nelson

Re:

Postby fat bastard on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 pm

i think you mean 'subjective'
fat bastard

Next

Return to Advice Please!