Home

TheSinner.net

Smallest, cheapest, mini-laptop-type-thing

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Smallest, cheapest, mini-laptop-type-thing

Postby Midget on Sat May 31, 2008 3:41 pm

I would search for this only vague descriptions don't really cut the mustard on google.

Basically I want to find some nice little device that has wifi(and an explorer obviously) and word, quite small, but not something so hi-tech that it costs a bomb, so doesn't need to be ridiculously tiny.

A mini-laptop, only I'm sure they have all sorts of funky names. So all I'm looking for really is a name so I can search it out on ebay.

Midget x
Midget

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat May 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Cheap = less than a £100 or sort of thing that might go for less than £50 on ebay.

Small = small enough to put in a large pocket.
Midget

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat May 31, 2008 4:41 pm

You could try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nokia-E61-Very-go ... dZViewItem

You can get a keyboard attachment for it, although it already has a querty keyboard. It has an 802.11G Wireless card. It comes with word/excel/powpoint. It has an organiser, an MP3 player, and the ability to install new applications. The memory is upgradable with a MiniSD card. It's also a mobile phone.

I own this phone and I ike it.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby novium on Sat May 31, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't know about mini laptop, but I have a palm TX, and it's pretty nifty. It was only about 100 pounds. it does the wi-fi thing, email, browsing, etc. Even IRC.

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat May 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 17:41, 31st May 2008
It's also a mobile phone.

Probably a stupid question.
Do you have to pay for a phone contract to use it on the internet etc or can you use it just as basically an internet browser and ignore the phone component?
Midget

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 pm

Oh and cheers for the replies, it makes searching ebay a lot easier, there's a lot of crap to sift through.
Midget

Re:

Postby zuza on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:21 am

I am selling a palm that has never been used and therefore in excellent condition, if you are interested? I'm sure we could arrange a good price!

Edited to add details:
It's a Palm Zire 72s Special Edition. Comes boxed with instruction manual. Included is:
The handheld palm (obviously!), USB hotsync cable, power adaptor. I'll also throw in a carrying case and qwerty keyboard (small, detachable, folding).

Applications are: palmOne media, RealOne Mobile Player, Web Pro Browser, Bluetooth Manager, DataViz Documents to Go (Std), VersaMail, Messages (SMS/MMS), Voice Memo and more!

Supported desktop systems: PC running Windows 98/200/ME/XP or Mac OS 9.2.2OS X v 10.2 or v10.3. SuuportsMicrosoft Outlook 98, 2000, 2002, 2003.

Please contact me through my profile if you are interested or email ses12@... Cheers!
zuza

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:05 am

Quoting Midget from 20:09, 31st May 2008

Probably a stupid question.
Do you have to pay for a phone contract to use it on the internet etc or can you use it just as basically an internet browser and ignore the phone component?

As long as it's unlocked you can use it without the phone component. (This is something to ask the seller if from ebay - or as standard if bought free from contract).

The wireless card will give you internet for free in a WiFi area open to you. The browser is actually quite good, and is in full colour. You can use web-based e-mail here - gmail is particularly good if you visit the mobile version.

All the non-internet functions will work as expected.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby sat on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:18 pm

This has received some coverage of late:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/produc ... epc_laptop

(But shop around obviously.) It probably won't do "Word", being a Linux machine, but will no-doubt have the equivalent. (OOo or something.)
sat

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Mien Godt!

SOme of those laptops are retailing for about a grand! One thousand pounds for a tiny cramped screen, no CD drive and basic IE, wi-fi and office capabilities. Has the world gone mad?!

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby sunshine on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Get an EEE PC

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

Cheap, very light, pretty small, very durable, pretty quick, and it'll do all the stuff you mentioned easily.
sunshine

EEEPC

Postby computer geek on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi,

I would highly reccomend the EEE PC.

I have previously owned a EEE PC 701 and was very happy with it. I now notice there is a new, slightly more expensive model the EEE PC 900. The 900 has a larger screen, more memory, more storage and a faster processor - might be worth considering, XP would run great.

EEEPC 701
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/produc ... epc_laptop

EEEPC 900
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... ID=B103319
computer geek

Re:

Postby Daniel on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:00 am

Quoting Midget from 16:41, 31st May 2008
I would search for this only vague descriptions don't really cut the mustard on google.

Basically I want to find some nice little device that has wifi(and an explorer obviously) and word, quite small, but not something so hi-tech that it costs a bomb, so doesn't need to be ridiculously tiny.

A mini-laptop, only I'm sure they have all sorts of funky names. So all I'm looking for really is a name so I can search it out on ebay.

Midget x

Aye, the EEE's are what you want. Dead small, dead cheap, dead reliable.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:07 pm

I'd recommend the Acer 2920, it's small and has a 12.1 inch screen. It looks a bit like a kids toy once you open it but the specification is too good not to check out. It's got a 250 gb hard drive, 2 gigs of RAM, with a 2 ghz processer. The equivalent mac for example is over twice the price.

This is on top of the usual thing like wireless, DVD/CD writer, bluetooth and a 5 in 1 card reader.

The prices start at 400 and go up to 500 for the best version.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:15 pm

the full model of that is Acer Aspire 2920, this may be too late but I thought I'd post anyway.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Incoming American on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:05 pm

I second (or 3rd or 4th) the EEE PC. I have one myself and absolutely love it!
The one problem is that most come with Linux, which is nice but some wifi systems won't connect to. FORTUNATELY, there's a beautiful website that you can search for that tells you how to put XP on the machine via USB drive (just google "EEE PC install Windows USB").
The one problem you might have is that the keyboard is rather small. However, *I* have tiny hands so it works perfectly for me. (But I am a girl so tiny dainty hands aren't a large problem, except for piano playing.)
Incoming American

Return to Advice Please!