Home

TheSinner.net

Landlords....

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Landlords....

Postby ARTooD2 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:40 am

This may sound like a silly question but do landlords have a duty to make the property you let wind and waterproof? Just ask because the sash windows in my flat are jammed open. We've asked him to fix them 4 times and he still hasn't sent a joiner round. I'm tempted to complain to the council but don't want to look foolish. Any help would be appreciated.

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby sloco on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Quoting ARTooD2 from 01:40, 11th Jul 2008
This may sound like a silly question but do landlords have a duty to make the property you let wind and waterproof? Just ask because the sash windows in my flat are jammed open. We've asked him to fix them 4 times and he still hasn't sent a joiner round. I'm tempted to complain to the council but don't want to look foolish. Any help would be appreciated.

[hr]

King Sinner

You could email the student representative for accommodation who will forward your email to someone at the council.
sloco

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Yes, they do. I think.

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/advice_topics/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_rented_accommodation/who_is_responsible_for_repairs#1

The actual text of the Housing (Scotland) Act seems to exclude certain types of tenancy from the Repairing Standard chapter however, so you'd better check. Eleanor Feltham is the Association's accommodation advocate, so if she's in, she's a good first point of contact.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby MoneyBags on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm a landlord in this town, and I have to say, its no bloody wonder that landlords ignore your winging. Every bloody time you break something you expect us to come running to your aid and fork out for the repairs.

Well, tuff.
MoneyBags

Re:

Postby James Shield on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Quoting ARTooD2 from 01:40, 11th Jul 2008
This may sound like a silly question but do landlords have a duty to make the property you let wind and waterproof?

Yes, they do. If you're having problems with your landlord, go and see Eleanor Feltham (Accommodation Advocate) on the middle floor of the Union or email her on ef41@.
James Shield

Re:

Postby irish200 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Quoting MoneyBags from 15:28, 11th Jul 2008
I'm a landlord in this town, and I have to say, its no bloody wonder that landlords ignore your winging. Every bloody time you break something you expect us to come running to your aid and fork out for the repairs.

Well, tuff.

Considering how much money you make from these bloody whinging students I hardly think it a great effort for you to repair a broken window or a broken fuse once in a while, it is afterall your responsibility. Oh well, maybe you could do nothing and enjoy all the lovely money coming in at the end of every month from your property as it falls apart.
irish200

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 pm

I echo James Shield's post above. Eleanor is employed by the Student's Association to help out with all kinds of accommodation issues, and she knows housing laws inside out.
She is in the office next to the Travel centre in the Union every monday, tuesday and Wednesday morning. If you can't get in to see her, send an e-mail as she is always pretty quick to reply.

Phil Pass
SRC Accommodation Officer

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Quoting MoneyBags from 15:28, 11th Jul 2008

Well, tuff.

They were broken when we moved in...so I hardly think we could be held respobsible for breaking them...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Gusy

Postby Fawksie on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:51 pm

You know the unreg is taking the piss yes?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 15:51, 12th Jul 2008
You know the unreg is taking the piss yes?

Indeed...but meh...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 pm

I'm not sure if the same laws are applicable in Scotland but in England and Wales the landlord (under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954) covenants to maintain the main structure of the building (like retaining walls etc) and to ensure that the building is serviced with water, gas and electricity. I can't remember (but will look it up) if windows are included in this. Anything deemed a fixture is outside the landlord's responsibilities.

Also in England the tenant must act as any good tenant would and this includes fixing little things like light bulbs and unblocking minor blocks in the toilet etc. I remember a case similar to your situation where the court held it was the tenant's responsibility to make sure a sky light window was closed when it rained. He didn't close it and the flooring of the flat was damaged.

As I said this is the situation in England but I don't know about Scotland.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 13:06, 13th Jul 2008
I'm not sure if the same laws are applicable in Scotland but in England and Wales the landlord (under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954) covenants to maintain the main structure of the building (like retaining walls etc) and to ensure that the building is serviced with water, gas and electricity. I can't remember (but will look it up) if windows are included in this. Anything deemed a fixture is outside the landlord's responsibilities.

Also in England the tenant must act as any good tenant would and this includes fixing little things like light bulbs and unblocking minor blocks in the toilet etc. I remember a case similar to your situation where the court held it was the tenant's responsibility to make sure a sky light window was closed when it rained. He didn't close it and the flooring of the flat was damaged.

As I said this is the situation in England but I don't know about Scotland.

Well I would be happy to close it if they did close...:P

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Return to Advice Please!