Home

TheSinner.net

Is it worth it?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Is it worth it?

Postby Han on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Ok. So, have just graduated and left St Andrews for the south of England. Now have met a guy through a friend at whose wedding we got really close and slept together (but only slept, too tired/drunk/amongst company for anything to happen) except he lives in Warwick/Edinburgh. Have been bantering away for the last couple of days and I really like him (and I'm fairly certain he likes me)...

Is this worth pursuing?
Han

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 pm

Do you mean it would be a long distance relationship? If so, I would suggest no. Long distance relationship are hard with a person you have been with for a while to get to know them, I'd hate to think how taxing it would be for a new relationship.

[hr]

"The entirety of these definitions lie outside the gamut of the sRGB color space — such a pure color cannot be represented using RGB primaries. The color swatch to the right is a desaturated approximation, created by taking the centroid of the standard definition and moving it towards the D65 white point, until it meets the sRGB gamut triangle."
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Only you know the answer to that question I'm afraid.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Of course it's worth it. How much will you regret it if you don't try?

Re:

Postby beeny on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Are you sure you're not reading way too much into the situation? The way your post reads, you're only supposing he likes you too. Not to be harsh, but could it not have been just a one night thing? Emotions run high when drinking at the best of times, particularly at weddings.

If he does like you, I'm afraid I would still have to say that it's not the best idea- Munchingfoo is right, long distance rarely works out for people who have been together for years before being parted, you would have virtually no chance with a new relationship.

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby Grant on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Why not give it a go? You've got nothing to lose really.

Even if its hard and fails, at least you'll have no regrets or "what ifs" that will haunt you.

The fact is, it could work. Not every long distance relationship fails, I know a few success stories as well as failures. Even then, the failures lasted a couple of years - thats pretty good going for any uni relationship regardless of distance involved if you ask me.
Grant

Re:

Postby Han on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks for all the advice, guys - it's useful to get some perspective on it all. I think for the moment I'll play it by ear and see how things go once we're both settled again...
Han

Re:

Postby Tigger on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:50 am

Regret the things you have done, not the things you hvaen't.
In other words, Never have the What Ifs? going through your mind.
A new relationship over a long distance can be fun, there is no pressure, and the irregular visits make seeing each other more exciting!!

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby sweet on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 pm

I know a very hsppy couple who met while living several hundred miles apart, they're now married. It was worth it for them....
sweet

Re:

Postby lts2 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Ah - long distant relationships...

In my experience they are more likely to work if you already know the other person well/been together for a long time and there is an end point in sight. If not then you start to ask yourself the question quite quickly - is this worth it?
lts2

Return to Advice Please!