Home

TheSinner.net

Laptop selling advice

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Laptop selling advice

Postby ct3012 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:59 pm

I'm seriously considering getting the black 13" Macbook, and selling my current laptop to try and raise some funding for it.

The laptop I'd be selling is a Sony Vaio VGN-C1S, bought in March 07 for £800 from Currys and I was wondering what would be a reasonable asking price for it because laptop prices have come down so much for this sort of spec. It's been upgraded to Vista, but this could be undone with remastering the laptop and the disk drive doesnt open unless you go into Computer>DVD drive> Eject and other than that and some wear around the edge of the chassis from pretty much daily use and being carried around it's in good nick.

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-C1S%2FH&productFilters=retired&site=voe_en_GB_cons&pageType=Overview&category=VN+C+Series

Suggestions please :)
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Re:

Postby Tigger on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:02 pm

I can pick up a Sony Vaio now with Blu ray etc, top spec, trade, for just under 500. So Anything over this will make yours unsaleable. I'd suggest around 400, and hope for the best.

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby johnjohnjohn on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 pm

400-500... and don't mention the CD drive issues, that would seriously devalue it in most people's eyes. Unless you want to be really honest.

If you're getting anything from Apple, make sure you get the education discount. Go to the website from any university computer and it will allow you access to the Education section of the site, knocks about 20% off the total bill. I managed to get the white macbook tweaked a bit for £800 when it should have been £1050.

Oh and my advice would be don't get the black Macbook, the finish on the paint shows up every single finger mark ever to grace its lovely cover. Good for forensic scientists, but for anyone else its a recipe for manic cleaning disorder.
johnjohnjohn

Return to Advice Please!