Home

TheSinner.net

Gyms in St Andrews

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Gyms in St Andrews

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 pm

I was going to a lovely gym at home in the summer and wanted to continue now I'm back in St Andrews, however, the University gym doesn't exactly appeal - mainly for size reasons, but also it seems that you're limited to an hour.

I know there's a gym on the way out to Morrisons, but I was wondering if there were any others nearby? Or can anyone change my mind about the sports centre?

Thank you :)
starsandsparkles

Re: Gyms in St Andrews

Postby orudge on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:32 am

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know where the nearest decent 25m swimming pool is? The St Andrews pool is obviously more of a leisure pool. Cupar pool, last I checked, had really weird opening hours, although maybe that was just because it was the school summer holidays. Dundee, otherwise, I guess?
orudge
Administrator

Postby Katherine_the_Noggin on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am

Not sure about swimming pools. But the East Sands Leisure Centre (next door to Albany Park) has a fitness suite there, so that might be another gym type option. Probably best to pop along and ask to see it/ask about prices etc.
Katherine_the_Noggin

Postby CheeseDaddy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Im not sure you are limited to only an hour at the AU, always thought that once youd got in no one cares how long youre in there for. I know Ive definitly been in for over an hour before. On a side note, has anyone successfully managed to use it without paying? Ive often thought it would be pretty easy, just swipe in, get changed and knock on the door to the rooms where someone will let you in.
CheeseDaddy

Postby JJZM on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:34 pm

Does anyone know how much it is exactly? I'm really interested in joining.
JJZM

Postby starsandsparkles on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Sports Centre membership is £33 for a student for the whole year or £2.10 for the day. The gym is £1.15 per visit but you can get multipasses.

Have a look at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/home/

I've decided to just go to the sports centre and see how it is.
starsandsparkles

Postby househunter on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 am

The OCH has a 20 metre pool in the spa. Don't know how much it'll cost, but if you know someone who works for the hotel they can probably get you in cheap as most of them have staff access to the spa, or at least they did when I worked there.
househunter

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:58 pm

househunter wrote:The OCH has a 20 metre pool in the spa. Don't know how much it'll cost, but if you know someone who works for the hotel they can probably get you in cheap as most of them have staff access to the spa, or at least they did when I worked there.

About £600 a year I think.
starsandsparkles

Postby househunter on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Ha, cost me £10 a year, never took the offer up though.

Seriously though find someone who works in the hotel and they might be able to give you guest passes or something?
househunter

Return to Advice Please!