Home

TheSinner.net

Lifetime Membership of Union Perks?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Lifetime Membership of Union Perks?

Postby Oldbie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm a graduate with a normal lifetime membership card to the union and I was just wondering what that entitled me to attend event wise? I know I can get in the union, but would I for example be able to use the photocopiers or other services? Eat in the union? Get into events, join societies etc? Pick up some posters at the next sale? :)

I have e-mailed the union a couple of times now to ask but never got a reply, and I can't find much information on the website either. So I thought I would try the trusty old Sinner!

Thank you in advance for any help.
Oldbie

Re: Lifetime Membership of Union Perks?

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:34 pm

As far as i know, it means you can do all the things normal union members do. You can definitely join societies and go to the bop because i have a lifetime membership and have done so :)
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Other perks:

- You may dismiss anything an ordinary member says with the phrase 'That's not how we did it in my day.'
- Once a year Royce Hunt will personally tell you a defunct Association law that you never knew existed
- The reigning President is legally obliged to salute you as you drive past the building

I think all that's easily worth a tenner.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby Lid on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Bizarre Atheist wrote:- You may dismiss anything an ordinary member says with the phrase 'That's not how we did it in my day.'
- Once a year Royce Hunt will personally tell you a defunct Association law that you never knew existed
- The reigning President is legally obliged to salute you as you drive past the building

Only if the Association flag has flown on three previous consecutive Sundays from the Assocation flagpole, but not if the Association flag has flown at half mast in more than two of those previous three, and still only when your membership card is affixed to the sunroof, more than four, but no greater than seven centimetres from the edge of the glass, obviously.

Or at least that's how we did it in my day.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby Oldbie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks very much for the info! That's more than I expected to be honest Thalia, so definitely worth the ten quid :D

I've already began far too many sentences with "Back in my day..." since I came back to St Andrews, it's a little worrying.
Oldbie

Postby orudge on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:09 am

Oldbie wrote:I've already began far too many sentences with "Back in my day..." since I came back to St Andrews, it's a little worrying.

Despite not having graduated yet, this is my fourth year, and I still find myself saying "why, when I were a fresher..." far too often!
orudge
Administrator

Postby Si on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:29 am

How would one go about becoming a lifetime member? Do you have to sign up when you graduate?
Si

Postby Lid on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 am

Si wrote:How would one go about becoming a lifetime member? Do you have to sign up when you graduate?

Assuming you still have your matric card / can remember your matric number and the year you graduated, just go to the general office with a passport size photo and £10 (might be £15) in your grubby little mitt, ask to apply for a life membership, and voila, in but a few minutes, it shall be yours.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby Si on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:45 am

Lid wrote:
Si wrote:How would one go about becoming a lifetime member? Do you have to sign up when you graduate?

Assuming you still have your matric card / can remember your matric number and the year you graduated, just go to the general office with a passport size photo and £10 (might be £15) in your grubby little mitt, ask to apply for a life membership, and voila, in but a few minutes, it shall be yours.

Fantastic, thanks for the info. I still carry my matric card round with me in my wallet so I will definitely be signing up for a lifetime membership next time I am in town.
Si

Return to Advice Please!