Home

TheSinner.net

Postgrad social life?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Postgrad social life?

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:39 am

I was wondering whether any other pgs find that there is really no social impetus to speak of in St Andrews if you are not an undergrad. I have been here for a year and, as I didn't live in halls last year, didn't meet that many people except for those (mostly ugs) who were involved in societies. I find social events in my school crippling - everybody seems to know one another and really don't seem to have any interest beyond the academic - and explicitly postgrad events such as the St Leonard's dinner and ball all rely on you knowing a group already. Do other people find this problem? What to do? I am keenly aware that many of my friends are 4th years and that when they graduate I'll have to start again. Any advice etc much appreciated.

Re: Postgrad social life?

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28316

First step I suggest would be registering a regular username on here. Most of the sinner student members seem to be postgards, like me. Once you make a postgraduate friend whole lives in one of the postgraduate residences you'll have no trouble meeting new people and doing new things, since these places are pretty sociable. Do you have an office with other people in it? Do you meet up with these guys socially? That would be an easy first step.

There isn't a club or society that won't let you in if you're a postgrad. You could trying going along to some things that interest you. I know that speaking to 18 year olds is a bit crap, since they usually don't have anything interesting to say, but some undergrads show a remarkable level of maturity at times. :P These clubs generally have fourth year members too.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Metalhead on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:46 am

What? You can have a social life as a postgrad and not just work all the time? I've been misled!
Metalhead

Postby Edinburgh Boy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm

I don't think your experiences will be unique to life at St As. My experience at another institution was that it took a lot of adjusting getting used to a smaller circle of friends having been a St A's undergrad. My own subject area did not require any teamwork, and I did not even have shared office space, and so making new friends was hard work at first. Does your subect have social events where you can meet other postgrads? Presumably there are some weekly seminars? I hope you do meet some good people, as I know postgrad work can be quite solitary.
Edinburgh Boy

Postby Delts on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 am

Try going to a big event where there are lots of different people, both pg and ug and just strike up conversation. There's a suitable one coming up actually in the union, Idlewild :D

To note that despite this being a blatant ad I have done this at gigs before and ended up good friends with the people. Best topic start is "my god this band is shite" whether they are or not
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Return to Advice Please!