Home

TheSinner.net

A place to call my own

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

A place to call my own

Postby EmmaJ4 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Well, I've spent about 2 months now looking for a place for my two friends and I to live next year...and still nothing. We've come close once or twice, but no cigar. We're going into our fourth year, it'll be the last opportunity for us to live together and the thought of living somewhere without them saddens me greatly :(

I've lived in halls every year and now I just want to be with my two closest friends. If you hear of anything, or have any advice I'd be incredibly grateful. Good luck everybody else who is still homeless! I wish you all the best!

Emma J (eej3 / 07793747094)
EmmaJ4

Re: A place to call my own

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 am

First bit of advice - don't panic yet. I saw all the problems with accommodation last summer and had a number of e-mails come to my account asking for help from postgrads coming over from other countries. They all got accommodation. You tend to find that things appear all of a sudden towards the end of the year and right through the summer. Obviously this is not ideal - and it would remove a lot of stress to not have to think about the mess of still not having a flat, but solutions can be found.

Second bit of advice - keep checking the local papers and windows of the newsagents as they often have individual properties coming up and appearing in there. You might just be lucky. Also, ask at the letting agents if they have waiting lists - therefore, if something comes up, they might let you know.

Thirdly - check the noticeboard outside the general office in the union. It's a really good place to find the occasional place and many forget to check it. You can also post your details there. Also use the Sinner's accommodation thread - a very useful resource.

Fourthly and finally - get in touch with Eleanor Feltham, the Accommodation Advocate in the Union, as she will be able to advise you of other potential next steps amongst other things.

Hope all this helps & good luck!!!

Cheers,
Phil Pass
SRC Accommodation Officer (& Director of Events & Services Candidate)
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:12 am

We found our house at the end of June and we had a choice of 3.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby sushiguru on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:41 am

Statistics: The only science that enables different experts using the
same figures to draw different conclusions.
-- Evan Esar
sushiguru

Postby EmmaJ4 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Thank you everybody for the advice! I was delighted to see that people responded and it helped me calm down a lot! Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to respond!
I have now found a house! :) (yay!) And wish anyone else good luck in finding a property, there are more and more properties appearing throughout the summer!

Emma
EmmaJ4

Postby tritus on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:26 pm

RandomMusings wrote:First bit of advice - don't panic yet. I saw all the problems with accommodation last summer and had a number of e-mails come to my account asking for help from postgrads coming over from other countries. They all got accommodation.

Cheers,
Phil Pass
SRC Accommodation Officer (& Director of Events & Services Candidate)

Yeah, most of them in DUNDEE. That was a lot of help, may as well transferred their applications to Uni of Dundee anyway. And the crazy thing is, people who came to St Andrews and kept complaining to the accomodation office somehow managed to get into halls even though they hadn't applied. The people who had applied were sent to dundee...hmmm. Strange that.
tritus

Return to Advice Please!