Home

TheSinner.net

Selling books online

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Selling books online

Postby Idealist II on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:23 pm

Evening sinners,

Quick question - I'm looking to sell some textbooks online and I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere besides Amazon Marketplace where I'll be able to do this. I entered into a bit of a dispute with Amazon a few years ago and they have since suspended my seller's account. I have since attempted to thwart this system by creating a new account with different details etc but the crafty lot at Amazon.co.uk caught onto me. They have sent me info of the appeal process, which I'm pretty sure if I followed I would win but it's very long winded and involves gathering evidence and such.

All I'm looking for is a quick, easy way to sell some old Geography textbooks - and I'm a good honest seller, not a tardy poster as amazon would have you believe...

Kind Regards,
Idealist - Graduate of 2007!
Idealist II

Re: Selling books online

Postby orudge on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:57 pm

You could always post them on the Facebook marketplace, although this tends to be most successful at the start of the appropriate term for the modules. Plus if you're not in St Andrews, sorting out payment/delivery might be a bit more of a problem. There's always the trading board here, of course, too.
orudge
Administrator

Re: Selling books online

Postby happyscience on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:50 pm

If you decide in the end that you don't want to sell them, there is a new university (2007) in Sulaymaniya, Kurdish Iraq, that wants books to help rebuild the country on its own terms.

Donor Thomas Cushman, who is a professor in the sociology department at Wellesley College and the founding editor of the Journal of Human Rights, has this to say:

What I did was ask colleagues to donate books, which they did in good numbers. We sent thirty cartons of first-rate books, especially on global affairs, history and literature and they are housed in the new library. … The university is especially in need of technical books, social science books, software even. … Nathan Musselman, the Prefect of the University who is teaching a class, wrote to me thrilled to tell me that the students were now writing their term papers in English and using many of these books as their main sources for research. He is greatly desirous of receiving more, now that the initial library is set up. … So the idea is to get people to donate in a more micro way; to send one or two new, current and important books (perhaps they have review copies, extra copies, etc) to the new library of the University. All of these small polyps could yield a substantial coral reef of knowledge for the new generation of students there.

You can visit their page here:

http://www.auis.org/index.php/Library-B ... tions.html

Just a thought...
happyscience

Return to Advice Please!