Home

TheSinner.net

things to do

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

things to do

Postby andies on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi.

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but is worth a shot. I moved to St andrews a few months ago (non-Student), and I am finding it difficult to find things to do to meet people.

Naturally everything is student oriented, but also from what I've seen a lot of what goes on is not really advertised very well, but is usually found out by word of mouth.

Things I'm thinking of are any kind of groups, classes etc of any nature which would be good for getting out and meeting new people.

Cheers :)
andies

Re: things to do

Postby ONeill on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:02 pm

There's plenty to do but I guess you could be right in that if you don't know where to look then it's hard to break into any social circles.

If you give us an idea of your interests or activities you like doing then someone may be able to help you out.
ONeill

Postby andies on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm

ONeill wrote:There's plenty to do but I guess you could be right in that if you don't know where to look then it's hard to break into any social circles.

If you give us an idea of your interests or activities you like doing then someone may be able to help you out.

thanks for the response. am willing to try anything to be honest.
andies

Postby andies on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm

oh, meant to metion also, i am female and mid-twenties. thanks :)
andies

Postby jollytiddlywink on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 pm

The university offers a wide range of different language classes. I believe that they run only during the semesters, so you may have to wait two months. But they offer lots of choices: all the usual ones like French, German, Spanish and Italian, as well as things like Mandarin, Russian, Gaelic, Japanese...

You can go to the Admissions Office (on the Scores) and ask for information about the classes at the front desk. Just make it clear that you mean the informal evening courses, and not a language degree!

You could try going to pub quiz nights... I don't know if that would be your idea of a fun evening, but if it is, just go along and see who needs an extra on their team, and not only do you get a lively evening, but you've got a couple of people to talk to for a while, and perhaps some new friends. I can't offer any help on which pubs have quizzes, or when they are, because I hardly ever set foot inside pubs. But I'm sure that other sinners can oblige with that information...
jollytiddlywink

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi

To be honest, lots of activity seems to have died off over the summer after the mass exodus of students. Im just finishing up my first year of a phd here and have also struggled to find things to do over the last couple of months.

I know a few people who travel to Dundee regularly for sportier things like climbing, swimming and dancing. I train twice a week in karate there now that the uni is out.

The uni sports centre also runs some classes which might be open to non-students and might still be going (I dont really know much about whats on offer or any details). Not too sure about anything else in St Andrews itself. I seem to have spent a RIDICULOUS amount of time playing pool at the student union lately.

Don't be afraid of trying to get involved with the postgrad community here either as I know from others and personal experience that there are lots of people here in the same boat. And if you dont like any of them then theres always next year's batch :)

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 pm

andies wrote:thanks for the response. am willing to try anything to be honest...........

...........oh, meant to metion also, i am female and mid-twenties. thanks :)

... (with comments like that following on from one another on The Sinner you are just asking for trouble).
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby big_phil on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 am

RandomMusings wrote:
andies wrote:thanks for the response. am willing to try anything to be honest...........

...........oh, meant to metion also, i am female and mid-twenties. thanks :)

... (with comments like that following on from one another on The Sinner you are just asking for trouble).

This is so so true, though with it being holiday time you may get away with it until september...
big_phil

Return to Advice Please!