Home

TheSinner.net

Lost essay!

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Lost essay!

Postby emily-c on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:15 am

I have been working on an essay for a few hours in Butts Wynd and as I was writing I kept hitting the "save" button along the way. I forgot that as I was working on a document that I had opened from an email attachment that I sent myself I needed to click "save as" button, so I didn't. I then exited word and now the essay is nowhere to be found. Is there any way at all of retrieving this document?? Otherwise I am screwed and set back another day, and the essay is already late!
emily-c

Re: Lost essay!

Postby Freaker on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:47 pm

There is a slim chance you will see the file again - I once had that luck. I think what I did was go back to the same computer the same day (go before it next shuts down or undergoes maintenance), open a different file from email (to try and see which temporary directory it puts the file into), and then nose around the directory. If you get this far, chances are your old file will still be there, somewhere, just the way you left it.

Good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re: Lost essay!

Postby wild_quinine on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Good advice, but this chance is slim even on a home computer. On a University Computer it's even less. Chances are the temp folders get cleared on logout. Or even before.

PS. My sincere condolences. The feeling you're having right now, that angry, pure frustration? There is nothing to be done about it. Just get back to work and don't do it again.
wild_quinine

Return to Advice Please!