Home

TheSinner.net

Dropping a module grade at honours

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Dropping a module grade at honours

Postby dystopianleveller on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 am

I've heard you can drop a grade from your honours modules results to improve the overall standard of your degree. Is this true, and if so, do you have to apply for it or is it done automatically?
dystopianleveller

Re: Dropping a module grade at honours

Postby James.C. on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Surely then wouldn't you be short on credits for honors?
James.C.

Postby hoopy froodette on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm

No, you can't. You can apply for S-coding for a module if there are extenuating circumstances that would have adversely affected your work in that particular module. That would mean the degree classifier would be run with and without that module and if there was a difference in the degree classes you may be awarded the higher one at the Special Classification Board.
Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
hoopy froodette

Postby fluffy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

but when i tried to do that (because my dad nearly died and i had to miss several weeks of uni, so it was a really good reason) IR were really shitty about it, and my dissertation supervisor pretty much told me shit happens, you can't S-code. so it's really up to your school.
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Postby ojk6 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Did you try going via Student Support? They're usually more helpful in these matters...
ojk6

Postby fluffy on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 am

student support can put pressure on your school, but at the end, it's entirely up to your school to make the decision.
fluffy

Postby MelissaL on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 am

Plus I've learned you can't S-code your dissertation/thesis.
MelissaL

Postby fluffy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 pm

actually thats what i was trying to s code, and student support said i could do it. in the end, my IR advisor wasn't happy though.
fluffy

Postby defrule on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

As far as I know, student support services can force a module to be S-coded and your school will have to do it. It would need to be a good reason though, for example if you've been seeing support service a lot throughout the semester and they've been aware of your issues.

As for the grading scheme, sadly under the averaging system, a poor grade can really drag your grade down or make it difficult for you to raise it. Some schools do look at the median of all you're scores if you're mean grade is slightly below the requirement for a certain class.
defrule

Return to Advice Please!