Home

TheSinner.net

the percentage of scottish students

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

the percentage of scottish students

Postby lithiumwy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

I wonder how many undergraduate students in University of St Andrews are from Scotland. I am very curious about a phenomenon that most of the undergraduates I met in St Andrews are either from England or international, until now I only know one undergraduate with scotland background. I wonder why? I have to admit that my sample pool is not large enough so want to know a statistical data. Thanks a lot
lithiumwy

Re: the percentage of scottish students

Postby hoopyfroodette on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Submit a Freedom of Information request and you may find out: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/foi/overview/
hoopyfroodette

Postby Kindof on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 am

I've noticed a curious phenomenon whereby more than 90% of the UK population is not Scottish, do you think there's any chance that the two could be related?
Kindof

Postby October on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Or maybe you're jsut hanging out with a non-scottish crowd.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Postby Traveller on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am

FOI request submitted. It should be answered no later than 8 February.
Traveller

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Kindof wrote:I've noticed a curious phenomenon whereby more than 90% of the UK population is not Scottish, do you think there's any chance that the two could be related?

I've noticed the curious fact that we're in Scotland.

Postby again on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Guest wrote:I've noticed the curious fact that we're in Scotland.

Which might be relevant if the UCAS application system - used by students throughout the UK - gave any recognition to the various constituent countries of the United Kingdom - which it does not.

Or if there were cultural, social or financial factors discouraging students from the other constituent countries from applying to Universities in Scotland - which there are not.

Or if St. Andrews was a middling University with limited appeal which did not attract the attention of students further afield that it's local authority - which is not the case.

Or if the admissions office was more interested in retaining the national purity of the University rather than its world class reputation - which it is not.
again

Postby Delts on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Kindof wrote:I've noticed a curious phenomenon whereby more than 90% of the UK population is not Scottish, do you think there's any chance that the two could be related?

Wow, what a fucking idiot.

Anyway, I think it depends on the subject for what percentage of students are Scottish. The majority of people in my physics lectures were Scottish. Most of the Chemists that I knew as well were Scottish. Maths had a lot from England there but was still quite Scottish. It tended to be the arts subjects that I found to be lacking in Scots. Having said this though, my sample is now almost 5 years old...
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby wild_quinine on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:50 pm

A high proportion of my closest friends at St. Andrews were Scottish. A little over half, I think.

But one thing I would say is that anecdotal information is of very little value in this kind of circumstance, especially if it is then used to make value judgements which may themselves be inappropriate.

I remember one time in the pub, probably late in first year, there was a discussion about the number of people from private schools at St. Andrews. And I said that I didn't really know that many people who'd been to private school. And then one by one, all of my friends at the table pointed out that they had been to private school*. Like, every single one. And I just didn't know it, because I, stupidly, arrogantly assumed that I would have known.

Thing is, before then I would have said that most students in St. Andrews that I knew hadn't been to private school. After then, I struggled to find anyone at who hadn't. 24 hours turned my anecdotal data into piffle.

(*You might think that this particular faux pas is less applicable to nationality, but you'd be surprised at the sheer number of people who think that the Edinburgh accent is just a posh sort of English...)
wild_quinine

Postby slg46 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 am

Delts wrote:
Kindof wrote:I think it depends on the subject for what percentage of students are Scottish.

I would agree, there is almost a 50:50 split of Scottish students and English students in my Geology class. However, there are only 15 of us so not very representative of St. Andrews :P
slg46

Postby October on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 am

slg46 wrote:I would agree, there is almost a 50:50 split of Scottish students and English students in my Geology class. However, there are only 15 of us so not very representative of St. Andrews :P

Geo has always been scottish heavy. sometimes being even more then 50:50. in my time it was along the lines of 75% scottish.
So if someone's wanting to hang out and meet scottish students, I'd surgest getting your self along to the Patt on a friday night, and hang out with the geol-soc.

And Yeah, I'd agree that it depends on the subject. I think in all my time here I've only ever met one scotsman who said they were doing IR.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Postby Traveller on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Response from FOI request ...

Percentages of student population from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland:

Scotland 26%
England 28%
Wales 1%
N.Ireland 2%

Percentages of students from countries comprising greater than 1% of the student population:

United States 13%
China 6%
Germany 3%
Canada 2%
France 1%

Source: Student Snapshot Semester 1 2010
Traveller

Postby Kegrad on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for posting that, Traveller, it's quite interesting to know.
Kegrad

Postby lithiumwy on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Traveller wrote:Response from FOI request ...
lovely! Thanks a lot Traveller!

Percentages of student population from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland:

Scotland 26%
England 28%
Wales 1%
N.Ireland 2%

Percentages of students from countries comprising greater than 1% of the student population:

United States 13%
China 6%
Germany 3%
Canada 2%
France 1%

Source: Student Snapshot Semester 1 2010
lithiumwy

Return to Advice Please!