Home

TheSinner.net

an American in Scotland

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

an American in Scotland

Postby AmericanSteph on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:38 am

Hey!
I'm a 20 year old American girl coming to St. Andrews for a term. Any advice for me?

Stephanie Watkins
AmericanSteph

Re:

Postby Jihad_Ragsta on Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:16 pm

The advice depends on what hall you'll be staying in (JohnBurnetJohnBurnetJohnBurnet) and what courses you're stuck with. But if anyone's interested in my tuppenceworth then I'd have to recommend that americans don't stick together during their time here. You're missing the point of studying in a different country- branch out and meet the locals! But you'll enjoy studying here regardless :)
[i:297ulvrk]Okay! Who greased my wiener?![/i:297ulvrk]
Jihad_Ragsta

Re:

Postby Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:35 am

[s]Unregisted User AmericanSteph wrote on 05:25, 27th Aug 2003:
Hey!
I'm a 20 year old American girl coming to St. Andrews for a term. Any advice for me?

Stephanie Watkins

oh..I was hoping this would be someone else...nevermind...
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

advice

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:23 pm

[s]Unregisted User AmericanSteph wrote on 05:25, 27th Aug 2003:
Hey!

Stephanie Watkins

Ditto on getting to know the locals. They will respect americans more if you show you are really interested in them and not here for a party!

Re:

Postby Just A Notion on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:48 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 20:21, 8th Sep 2003:
Ditto on getting to know the locals. They will respect americans more if you show you are really interested in them and not here for a party!

That's a rather shallow assumption. I guess somehow, someone decided that that's all that americans do. Who knows, maybe it's because they're more out going and confident in their ways, and they find others with whom they're compatable, who just happen to be compatriots.

Advice: I'm afraid you might have to be prepared for a moderately-loud minority, fortunately small in size, who endorse anti-American bigotry.
Just A Notion

Re:

Postby Sabre13 on Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:04 am

Try and avoid getting into an all american clique, its easy to do im sure but from what ive seen it leads to a much shallower experience throughout the term.
Sabre13

Re:

Postby Jihad_Ragsta on Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:52 pm

That's a rather shallow assumption. I guess somehow, someone decided that that's all that americans do. Who knows, maybe it's because they're more out going and confident in their ways, and they find others with whom they're compatable, who just happen to be compatriots.

I'm interested to know if you are American yourself. If you are, prepare yourself for more emails, I'm afraid. Personally, I didn't simply 'decide' this was what Americans do, my friend. I have watched them do this for three years, so this assumption is backed up by my own eyes. And you're turning this strand into an anti- American one, which is not what I want. Today ;)

[hr]
I am Godzilla! You are Japan!
[i:297ulvrk]Okay! Who greased my wiener?![/i:297ulvrk]
Jihad_Ragsta

Re:

Postby Just A Notion on Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:35 pm

[s]Jihad_Ragsta wrote on 20:52, 10th Sep 2003:
I'm interested to know if you are American yourself. If you are, prepare yourself for more emails, I'm afraid. Personally, I didn't simply 'decide' this was what Americans do, my friend. I have watched them do this for three years, so this assumption is backed up by my own eyes. And you're turning this strand into an anti- American one, which is not what I want. Today ;)

Nope, not American at all. Besides, it applies to everyone that they should make an effort to get on with everyone, and also not just be here to party.

And gj with the spam threat ;)
Just A Notion

Return to Advice Please!