Home

TheSinner.net

post-Christmas break/pre-exam period

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

post-Christmas break/pre-exam period

Postby KKK on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Being the lost fresher that I am, I was wondering exactly what is supposed to happen during those days from Jan 4. to Jan. 9 that are boldly called 'revision period' in the academic calendar? And more precisely, do I really need to fly back from home to be here on the fourth or is it just people wanting to cruelly remind us of reality before the actual exams start?

Cheers!
KKK

Re: post-Christmas break/pre-exam period

Postby slg46 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Revision period, a.k.a Cramming period, is the time-span in which panicked students blu-tac things to bedroom walls and miniaturise their notes on flash cards in a vain hope of learning something. In other words, it's the last few days before exams when there are no formal classes etc. You don't necessarily need to be here if you don't want to, some people stay "just in case".
slg46

Re: post-Christmas break/pre-exam period

Postby Traveller on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:57 pm

From the provisional exam timetable page (due to be published sometime next week):
"IMPORTANT: A reminder that students are required to make themselves available in St Andrews for the full duration of the exam diet, regardless of when their own exams take place. Students therefore should not leave St Andrews until after the Friday 20 January 2012."
It doesn't say anything about being here for the revision week - but I'd advise getting back earlier, just in case the weather affects your travel plans.
Traveller

Return to Advice Please!