Home

TheSinner.net

What to do when your flatmate eats your food

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

What to do when your flatmate eats your food

Postby Precious on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:36 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would people do if they suspected someone in their flat was pinching their food? At first I thought I was just getting confused about how much of things I had, but it's happened too many times now for that to be the case. I know exactly who it is as it's only a two person flat. The thing is I'm a bit unsure about whether I should confront her because (a) not having actually seen her do it I have no proof, although I do hear her rummaging in the fridge in the middle of the night, and (b) the way the contract is set up, she can throw me out and I don't really want the hassle of having to move if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

[hr]Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Precious

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:12 pm

Well first and foremost if you confront her about it and she threatens to kick you out, go see accom services or someone as that surely cant be a legit reason!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Precious on Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:30 pm

[s]Paranoid wrote on 22:12, 16th Dec 2003:
Well first and foremost if you confront her about it and she threatens to kick you out, go see accom services or someone as that surely cant be a legit reason!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...

Since it's a private flat, can accommodation services do anything? I didn't think there was much accommodation available so I don't know if they could rehouse me.

[hr]
Precious

Re:

Postby Kibet on Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:39 am

The way you can approach the subject is just by asking, "have you seen my "blank"" if she says yes, she ate it then hopefully problem solved. if she says no then you go ok. and you wait until something else goes missing and then say it again, if she still says no then you say "i'm gonna start a list of when i am eating it, cause i keep running out". hopefully that should make it stop.

How is this contract set up, giving you no rights and her all the rights? there is some sort of student service that does handle landlord disputes, so they may be able to help with finding out exactly what you are entitled to per the contract. i don't know who to go to but someone in student support maybe?
Kibet

Re:

Postby Precious on Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:05 pm

[s]Kibet wrote on 09:39, 17th Dec 2003:
The way you can approach the subject is just by asking, "have you seen my "blank"" if she says yes, she ate it then hopefully problem solved. if she says no then you go ok. and you wait until something else goes missing and then say it again, if she still says no then you say "i'm gonna start a list of when i am eating it, cause i keep running out". hopefully that should make it stop.

How is this contract set up, giving you no rights and her all the rights? there is some sort of student service that does handle landlord disputes, so they may be able to help with finding out exactly what you are entitled to per the contract. i don't know who to go to but someone in student support maybe?

Thanks Kibet! Will try that. The way the contract is set up is that she has made me the subtenant, meaning rent is paid directly to her and she then pays it to the landlord. She has the right to give me 28 days notice to quit in the event of a dispute - she set this up as a result of issues with last year's flatmate. Thing is there are other issues as well so I'm worried it will end up blowing up into a big argument.

[hr]
Precious

Re:

Postby Rex Mundi on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:21 pm

[s]Precious wrote on 21:05, 17th Dec 2003:
Thanks Kibet! Will try that. The way the contract is set up is that she has made me the subtenant, meaning rent is paid directly to her and she then pays it to the landlord. She has the right to give me 28 days notice to quit in the event of a dispute - she set this up as a result of issues with last year's flatmate. Thing is there are other issues as well so I'm worried it will end up blowing up into a big argument.

What kind of issues? Was she eating the other persons stuff again?
Rex Mundi

Obvious solution

Postby Mac2 on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:32 pm

Laxatives on the food - if she spends the next week on the loo - you know you've got her ;-)

Otherwise... relay the patio.
Mac2

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:21 pm

If she chucks you out of the flat remember she than has to find someone else to move in otherwise she's left paying all the rent! So she might not be so quick to chuck you out. Plus just be straight with her and ask her if shes eating your food because loads of it keeps going missing. Also play on the "im too poor to buy food coz every time i do someone steals it and i have to buy food every day to replace the stolen stuff". Make her feel guilty!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Precious on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:45 pm

The other issues (which I know pissed off one previous flatmate, and may have been a factor in another one storming out after only a month) were the fact that her waking hours are 6am-10pm and she shows very little consideration for the fact that those are not my desired waking hours, nor were they his. Several mornings I have been woken by her mobile bleeping loudly at 6am, or Darius blaring from the lounge while I'm still in bed. She also has had a go at me for supposedly not doing housework when I'm the one who has to scrub the hair dye from the bath (all hers, I don't dye my hair.) She never cleans the bathroom. Like the laxative suggestion though - she's allergic to dairy and I'm not so someone has suggested I coat my food in dairy products which won't affect me!

Precious

Re:

Postby SiouxieSioux on Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:09 pm

This is probably not ver helpful but I would tell her to fuck off. Shes obviously extremely selfish and has no insight whatsoever. I'm obviously speaking for myself but I would confront her and tell her shes being an asshole.
'Silly Rabbit....Trix are for Kids!'
SiouxieSioux

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:06 pm

I wouldnt advise trying to kill your flatmate by deliberatly poisoning her now u've mentioned it on a message board - the police would be straight round arresting u!!!! :P
PurelySynthetic

CHILLI

Postby Joesta on Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:08 pm

My suggestion would be to lace your food with Chilli powder. That way her learning curve shall increase exponentially :D Alternatively, a more realistic and effective strategy would be to follow that suggested by Kibet and bring up the matter subtley.
Joesta

Re:

Postby Precious on Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:09 am

[s]PurelySynthetic wrote on 22:06, 20th Dec 2003:
I wouldnt advise trying to kill your flatmate by deliberatly poisoning her now u've mentioned it on a message board - the police would be straight round arresting u!!!! :P

It was a joke, don't worry. I don't particularly want to go that far - I want to leave here with a degree, not a prison sentence! I did feel slightly differently after finding out she'd gone home and left me with all the cleaning, however. SiouxsieSioux's advice gets more tempting by the minute.

[hr]
Precious

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:32 pm

[s]Precious wrote on 11:09, 23rd Dec 2003:
[s]PurelySynthetic wrote on 22:06, 20th Dec 2003:[i]

It was a joke, don't worry. I don't particularly want to go that far - I want to leave here with a degree, not a prison sentence! I did feel slightly differently after finding out she'd gone home and left me with all the cleaning, however. SiouxsieSioux's advice gets more tempting by the minute.

[hr]
[/i]

H, that is shocking! Stove her head in--we do NOT want to relive the trekkies from hell epxierience from second year, love!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Precious on Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:51 pm

I actually think she's worse. They at least never ate anything of mine (or I never had any reason to suspect they did anyway.)

Precious

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:55 pm

[s]Precious wrote on 11:09, 23rd Dec 2003:
I want to leave here with a degree, not a prison sentence!

you might learn more useful stuff in prison than at uni. it would set you apart from other candidates in interviews at least.

something to think about.

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Dax on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:03 pm

If you or your friends aren't eating the food then it is obviously her or her friends. This is theft. You need to ask her about it and legally she cannot end the contract on this basis. She is in the wrong. I forget the name of the local PC for the university, but she should be able to advise you if necessary. Certainly in English law, if you were to raise acrime for theft then the general laws of eviction etc are changed. At the moment I am fairly drunk but when more sober I shall look into it more fully should you requrie.

PC Dax, Cambridge Police.
Dax

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:05 pm

Hmm.. I had a flatmate with those very same waking hours.. I am not sure that she was allergic to dairy though. Yeah, it got annoying.

Re:

Postby Rex Mundi on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:43 pm

She sounds like a general pain in the arse. It was a bad sign that two other flatmates walked out on her.

I'd do what SiouxsieSioux, but first I'd spend two weeks collecting my own hair and then block the bath the day I was due to move out and I mean REALLY blocking it - you want 5-6cm of hair down that hole, so bad that shes going to need a plumber... oh and make sure you dye it her colour. Though you sound nicer and less vindictive than me Precious...

P.S. Leave some hair in the fridge too.
Rex Mundi

Re:

Postby Kibet on Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:44 am

[s]Rex Mundi wrote on 21:43, 5th Jan 2004:

P.S. Leave some hair in the fridge too.

or cook a delicious looking chocolate cake but use laxative chocolate. make sure you cut it up though so she can steal a slice. you may want to hide some of your hair in it dyed like rex said
Kibet

Next

Return to Advice Please!