Home

TheSinner.net

uni accomodation

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

uni accomodation

Postby FieryFairy on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:58 pm

I know everyone is asking about accomodation at this time of year, but I was just wondering how difficult it is for third year students to get into uni halls?
I have heard that priority is given to first and second year students.
Has anyone had experience of difficulty getting into halls for their third year?
FieryFairy

Re:

Postby HQ on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:12 pm

It used to be that it was hardest to get back in for your 3rd year. But I think they just pick people at random nowadays. If not and it's how it used to be you've not got much chance.

Nobody does anymore as there aren't even enough spaces for all the first years. Unless you are on your hall committee in which case you can get back in easy enough.
HQ

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:17 pm

Accomodation Services officially say they choose randomly, with only preference given to first years. However, there are some factors they will take into account- medical reasons, being a committee member, and so on. If you have a bad record in halls in the past, for example being fined for an incredibly disgusting room, or causing serious damage, this may count against you.

But officially, second years do not get priority over third years. (And the rumour I always heard was that second years were bottom preference, anyway.)
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:27 pm

I always thought it was 1st yrs, medical reason people, committee, 4th yrs, 3rd yrs, then lastly 2nd yrs - but i dunno they seem to randomly choose people half the time!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby :0 on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:01 am

Second and third years are joint bottom of the list is the thought of most I know, although fourth years are not that likely to get back in now anyway - there's too little space as it is for the first years.

The online forms come out soon though and apparently they'l have an "indication" of what the rent will be.

So place your bets for how much you think it will have been hiked up by this time...
:0

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:07 pm

well im a 3rd year and got in this year so there must be a pretty random side to it!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:03 pm

when do we apply for accomodation for next academic year?
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:26 pm

March, probably. Round about the same time as last year.

[hr][s]"When I was seven, I used to eat ants."

Dominic Monaghan, 'The Two Towers:Extended Edition' cast commentary

[/s]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:49 pm

"The plan is that you should be possible to apply on line between 2 -20 February."

From the wednesday memo on the subject. Quoted directly so they're not my grammatical errors :P
Pussycat

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:08 pm

Ah, well, I'm leavng at the end of the year, so I didn't check!

[hr][s]"When I was seven, I used to eat ants."

Dominic Monaghan, 'The Two Towers:Extended Edition' cast commentary

[/s]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:18 am

do people currently on a year abroad get preference since they aren't here to flat hunt?

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:46 am

Accomodations services, they can throw us out when ever they like and the rent hikes are ridiculous I'm moving out next year, had enough.
Midget

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:12 pm

Officially, as has already been said, there is no preference given to 3rd year over 2nd year.

However, as most 1st years live in Hall, there are a large number of people applying to stay in Hall for 2nd year, so the probability of each individual getting in is less.

For 2nd year into 3rd year, there are less people who want to stay in Hall, either because they've already spent 2 years in Hall and now want to move out, or because they didn't get a place in Hall for 2nd year, so already live in a flat, and stay in their flat for 3rd year. This means there is a greater chance of a 3rd year who wants to stay in Hall doing so - there is less competition.

Most people who I know who have applied for Hall and not got a place are 1st years going into 2nd year.

Also note, that for the more "traditional" halls (eg University Hall, St Salvator's, St Regulus', Hamilton and McIntosh) it is the Warden of the Hall who makes the decision about who will stay in Hall, and they may (unofficially) give preference to 3rd year students over 2nd year, even if that is not the official policy of Student Accomodation Services.

So, to answer the original question, it is not that hard to get into 3rd year from 2nd year, however it may be harder this year because of the increased intake of 1st years.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:25 pm

The only way to have a guaranteed place back in your hall is to either have specific medical reasons or to have been an active member of hall - ie an active member of the hall committee or getting voted on to be an active member of the committee at the end of this year for next year.

The way it is decided who gets back into hall is apparently just to keep a good balance gender wise and culture wise, ie a good mix of national and international students.

As the above poster said though it is more likely that first years will get back in due to their greater numbers but also I would imagine to alleviate the cramped conditions that have had to be endured this year - I would expect more space to be allocated for first years to prevent new first years from having a bad experience right at the beginning of their time in St Andrews as many had this year.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:34 pm

I think it would be appropriate to mention the fact that a lot of people are having problems with the rent rses the uni is placing on the accomodation.

For this reason, i am looking to leave and get a privare rent. I'm a firstie going in to second, bio/geog, hate work, love procrastination. Anyone interested should contact sh66.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Year abroad

Postby Peaches on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:46 pm

Going back to the question on whether Year Abroad students got preference or not to gat back in to hall, it is hard to say.

If you are abroad you normally still have friends here who can look for you and therefore it is not too hard.

On the other hand, if you claim you feel you need help "integrating" again into the St Andrews comunity they may be more helpfull and stick you in New Hall. OR if you get on with them, some of the members of the departments know the right people and will help get you back into hall.

With the price of Student Acomodation rising... a flat may be a better idea anyhow...

I have a spare room next year cos I went abroad and everyone graduates this year, if you are interested!
Peaches

Return to Advice Please!