Home

TheSinner.net

Help!!!

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Help!!!

Postby Vicks on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:38 pm

Hi!

I need help!! Can someone tell me if I can stil do CS1004 (second comp sci module) even if I failed the first one, CS1002? I got a 4.9 (god dammit!!)

I know that CS1002 is a pre-requisite of CS1004 so does this mean since i failed CS1002 i can't do CS1004?!

Thanks!!
Vicks

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:32 pm

You can still do CS1004 as long as you have your ptp (which obviously you do) as you have not yet properly failed the module Cs1002 as you can do the resit in September. So no worries :)

But jeez, a 4.9. Under the old system that would have been a 5 and a pass, that must suck.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Vicks on Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:18 am

[s]Pussycat wrote on 23:32, 8th Feb 2004:
You can still do CS1004 as long as you have your ptp (which obviously you do) as you have not yet properly failed the module Cs1002 as you can do the resit in September. So no worries :)

But jeez, a 4.9. Under the old system that would have been a 5 and a pass, that must suck.

Thanks so much for replying so quickly!! I was having visions of going along tomorrow and being chucked out the class!! Yeah it does suck, I heard about the old system! :-(
Can't believe it was only by 0.1!!!

Also, does anyone know if you should have an S beside your mark if you reported exceptional circumstances during the semester?

Thanks again!!

Vicks xxx
Vicks

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:09 am

I don't mean to sound pompous as I am intending this as advice.

CS1002 is a very easy computing module.
If this is your degree intention read next section.

Did you work very hard, if not work really hard at CS1004 it is more difficult. If you did work hard really think whether comp sci is the road for you the modules get a lot harder after that one.

If it's not your degree intention read this.

If you worked hard definately don't take CS1004 there are many easier(or different, not everyone has the same aptitudes) modules. If you didn't work hard do you really wany to do cs1004 it is very hard in comparsion to cs1002.

Speak to your advisor I think. They will be able to give you the best advice, but I hope this helps and I didn't mean to scare you if this post has that effect.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby HQ on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:33 am

CS1004 is piss easy compared to CS1002 (both first year modules are easy).

I wouldn't worry about it.
HQ

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:37 am

If you failed by .1 did you perhaps piss off the staff? It seems rather funny to fail you by .1 but really as someone said before - if computing is your degree subject and you have got a fail in first year i would not advise continuing with comp sci. Second year is a ridiculas jump in work load from first and again for going in to third from second. Comp sci is a hell of a work load compared to other subjects i have done and believe me its only going to get harder next year. But yeh you should be able to sit the course as long as its not a prerequisite - if it is a prerequisite its a matter of being nice to the comp sci people and asking them if you can still do it!!!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:25 pm

You can sit CS1004 fine like I said. Also there should be an S beside your mark if exceptional circumstances were reported. If there is no S there and you did report exceptional circumstances go and talk to the course co ordinator (Graham Kirby?) and explain. They may just have forgotten as I once had a deferred exam and they forgot to mark it down so I had an X which was later replaced with the deferred sign.

I'm guessing if you had exceptional circumstances then this is why the mark is a bit low, (that and a lot of people don't aim that high in first year because they don't need to) so I wouldn't worry about the course being too difficult for you or anything like that :)
Pussycat

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:14 pm

[s]HQ wrote on 08:33, 9th Feb 2004:
CS1004 is piss easy compared to CS1002 (both first year modules are easy).

I wouldn't worry about it.

not true. cs1004 is easy if you found 1002 easy as you have to use nearly everything you learned in 1002 in 1004. saying that both modules are easy is a bit of a stupid thing really since this person obviously didn't find it easy as they got a 4.9!!
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby HQ on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:39 pm

Yes they got 4.9 but they did say they had exceptional circumstances.

Also people who find it very easy might be less inclined to bother doing the work until it gets into the harder stuff in second year.
HQ

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:50 pm

CS1004 is a bit like CS1002 in that it gets more difficult with each practical. & seeing as everything builds on what you've previously supposedly learnt how to do, then you may find that you understand less & less as the course moves on.

i'm now a Maths student after failing the 2nd year Comp Sci module. if you don't like what you're doing then maybe think about doing something else this semester as Comp Sci just gets worse. if you like & are willing to put lots of hours in then go ahead.

but if they don't let you continue into CS1004 then you may find it's something of a blessing. CS1004 is ok in itself but anything into 2nd year is plain nasty.
benedict

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:38 am

I'm assuming you got into CS1004 fine? Like I said a pre-requisite to a same year module has to take resits into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the posts that have been made regarding how you will now have to think about changing your degree, if computing is even your degree subject. I know from experience that only you yourself can know what you are capable of and marks first time around can be no good indication of what you are really capable of.

I certainly found CS1002 to get easier the more I did, same with second year stuff, it's just down to the individual really.

By the way, if you are having trouble getting them to accept your claim of exceptional circumstances, a trip to Dave Roberts may be in order :)
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Vicks on Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:52 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 00:38, 10th Feb 2004:
I'm assuming you got into CS1004 fine? Like I said a pre-requisite to a same year module has to take resits into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the posts that have been made regarding how you will now have to think about changing your degree, if computing is even your degree subject. I know from experience that only you yourself can know what you are capable of and marks first time around can be no good indication of what you are really capable of.

I certainly found CS1002 to get easier the more I did, same with second year stuff, it's just down to the individual really.

By the way, if you are having trouble getting them to accept your claim of exceptional circumstances, a trip to Dave Roberts may be in order :)

Thanks everyone!!

I went to see my advisor (Graham Kirby) and he was sooo nice! He said its not a problem and I can still do CS1004!! Yay! Yes, Comp Sci is my degree but I've been thinking about changing to internet computing for a while actually. I really enjoy it and I've already done a lot of Java/ASP/PHP and all that cos I've got a website I've been working on for about 3 years! I'm definitely sticking with the whole comp sci/internet thing as my main degree, I'm not changing. It's what I really enjoy :-)

Apparently the whole 4.9 thing is because this year it changed and now even if your combined mark for practicals and written exam is a pass, you MUST get at least a 5 in the written paper to pass, otherwise the most they can give you is a 4.9 :-( My GPA for my practicals was 15!

I totally messed up the written paper! Last semester was so bad for me, I missed soo many lectures and tutorials and the course just got harder and the more i missed the more puzzled i was!! I was called home 7 times last semeseter due to family problems and couldn't really concentrate much. I saw Dave Roberts last semester and he was lovely about it. Everyone has been really good and supportive :-)

Anyways hopefully the situation has calmed down now and I can catch up on everything!

Thanks again for the advice!

Vicks xxx
Vicks

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Internet computing isnt all that much different to the computing course anyway.
Watch out for learning C next year - i still have no clue on that and theyre trying to make us do it again this year :'(
You wont actually do that much coding except in the practicals - its much more theory based but you'll use java and a bit of javascript and actually you dont really do that much of the whole web site making thing anyway in the internet course!
But you'll see when you do the C course whether you wanna do internet or not - a lot of the computing people who didnt do well in that course in second year changed to do internet computing!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Joesta on Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:44 pm

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be OK.
Joesta

Re:

Postby turtle on Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:06 am

I did CS1002, i got a 4.7 - but i did no work. None. It was a stupid thing to do, but I didn't enjoy the course, it just seemed so pointless. It was my degree intention, but i changed, because that's no way to think about a subject that you're going to be doing for another three years. It's a shame I have to resit, I can't be bothered reading up at the end of the summer just to get the credits for a subject I'll never even think about again.

[hr]This is a signature
turtle

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:11 pm

Doesn't it just get rounded up to 5? Or am I being a dense 4th year since it doesn't really affect my marks?

[hr]St Andrews....if you can't pay, then you can't stay :(
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:14 pm

[s]KateBush wrote on 18:11, 16th Feb 2004:
Doesn't it just get rounded up to 5? Or am I being a dense 4th year since it doesn't really affect my marks?

[hr]St Andrews....if you can't pay, then you can't stay :(

no it doesn't, they couldn't get a pass because they failed the written paper which you MUST pass in order to pass the module. Their actual grade was probably more like a 7/8 with the good practical marks, but it was impossible for them to pass anyway because of the written paper.
andrewdalgleish

Return to Advice Please!