Home

TheSinner.net

Depression

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Depression

Postby Guest on Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:49 pm

I have been to the doctor and he has told me that he thinks I have depression.

I am not eating properly as I have no appetite, and I am falling behind with coursework. I also have lost interest in going-out and just want to hide away which my friends are noticing. Basically I feel permanently drained.

The doctor wants to refer me to a psychiatrist and to see the local Community psychiatric nurse. He is also talking about prescribing me with anti-depressant, which I am a bit hesitant about.

This is obviously more than student blues, but does anyone else feel similar or had symptoms like this?

Re:

Postby tintin on Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:20 pm

Try the Depression Support Network first, if you want to meet like-minded people, although this might not necessarily be the best thing for you at this stage.

I'm not an expert of the subject, but I would advise you to avoid ani-depressants if possible unless it is absolutely necessary. Depression is most effectively treated byself-help rather than passively.

Often a good way to get out of a rut of depression is to do some vigourous, outdoor expercise. I know that it is hard to motivate oneself to do it, but getting past that first hurdle is the first step to recovery.

Take each day as it comes. When you get up, think up some sort of plan for the day, and write it down. Obviously don't timetable so rigidly that there is no room for manoeuvre and that you wory yourself whether you'll be able to make the next scheduled activity, but at least make one, to introduce some sort of structure to your day.

To this end, try and think up a list of things that have needed doing for some time, like the washing-up, fixing that broken door, washing the floor etc. The more time you are occupied (and doing something like washing the floor where you'll get an almost instant result and thus sense of having achieved something), the less time there is for worries.

Depression often has at its root worry. Therefore, ask yourself the following question about each of your worries: "What is the absolute worst that could happen as a result?" And then face up to it, accept it, and put it out of your mind. If there is nothnig you can do about it, accept that it is out of your control; if possible, try and solve the problem there and then; confront it head on and banish it.

Join a new club - do something completely different and the resulting interest will fill time otherwise used for worrying. This is especially useful at night time - go out to a club, go to the cinema, go to the Library: do something constructive to fill those lonely hours.

Congratulate yourself for what you've achieved, like having mopped the floor, by rewarding yourself. The sense of satisfaction will also help.

The list above is far from exhaustive, but there are certainly a few tips there to get you started.

Good luck.
tintin

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:52 am

The above is very good advice. In a lot of cases where the doctors or student support suggest going to a psychiatrist or taking anti-depressants, all that is really needed is some will power and determination to pick yourself up.

It isn't easy but it is possible, and it's certainly worth a try before resorting to anti-depressants. There is probably a root cause which you need to figure out, stress is the usual one. Like the above advice, learn to let go of issues where you have no control. You don't say, but do you enjoy your degree course? Not enjoying your work can get a lot of people down, and that is something that is easier to fix than most people think.

Have a sit down and really think about things, or better still think while going for a walk. Try and sort stuff out in your head and get the energy to actually want to get better. If you can do that you're more than halfway to getting better.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Been there on Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:34 pm

While I would agree that the two previous on this thread have given some good advice, don't be surprised if it doesn't work. It's difficult to tell from your post how depressed you are, but if someone is severely depressed then it can be incredibly difficult to make yourself do those positive things to get yourself out of it. I was incredibly against the concept of anti-depressants until I reached the point when I couldn't cope in any other way, and they really have worked for me.

So, yes, try and get yourself out of this by yourself, and productive things like cleaning floors are good. Also, talking to someone to get things off your chest is a good idea, whether this is a friend or Student Support (who are very nice, and not worried by people sobbing at them). But if these don't work then consider medication, but be warned - it will take a few weeks to work, and you may have to try different types till you find one that works for you.
Been there

Re:

Postby davearnie on Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:13 pm

I agree that the above advice is useful, however i have been there myself and am currently still battleing my depression.
If there is no apparent reason for the depression or even if there is, sometimes it can be near impossible to just pick yourself up and go on with life, i had to take a leave of absense last semester because of my depression.
I would say that if it is geniune clinical depression, then no matter what the reason is or if there is no apparent reason, your hormone levels are all shot to fuck, that is why you have no motivation or will power to do anything. Someone telling you to just go out and do things is all very well but its easier said than done.

My advice would be to see a counsellor first, if that doesnt seem to help then antidepressants can be a way to get you out of the worse of it but i would seriously consider what you are getting yourself into before you go down that road because when you start them there is no going back, you have to stay on them then get weined off them!

Also try and go out with friends, or try to meet new people to take your mind away from the depression.
davearnie

Try this for starters?

Postby tintin on Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:08 am

1. Just for today I will be happy.

2. Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires.

3. Just for today I will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, nor abuse or neglect it, so that it will be a perfect machine for my bidding.

4. Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

5. Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways; I will do someone a good turn and not get found out. I will do at least two things I don't want to do, as William James suggests, just for exercise.

6. Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress as becomingly as possible, talk low, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticise not at all, not find fault with anything and try not to regulate nor improve anyone.

7. Just for today I will try to live through this day only, not to tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime.

8. Just for today I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two parts, hurrying and indecision.

9. Just for today I will have a quiet half-hour all by myself and relax. In this half-hour sometimes I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective into my life.

10. Just for today I will be unafraid, especially I will not be afraid to be happy, to enjoy what it beautiful, to love, and to believe that those I love, love me.

Sibyl F. Partridge, quoted in Dale Carnegie 1984: 126-7

"Much of what we call Evil...can often be converted into a bracing and tonic good by a simple change of the sufferer's inner attitude from one of fear to one of fight." - William James.

So let us fight for our happiness!
tintin

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:20 am

Good luck, mate. Hope it works out.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:32 pm

good thinking. most negative things can be looked at in fairly positive lights. take fear for example, if you regard fear as excitement then it can empower you & even make you courageous.

'In this half-hour sometimes I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective into my life.'

not sure about that but insert a deity of your choice i guess. i'd probably go for Ian Curtis.
benedict

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:09 pm

While the advice on this thread has been useful, it's important to remember that sometimes there IS no known cause for depression. So don't feel bad if nothing specific has kicked it off. It can be as simple as a chemical imbalance in your brain that is causing you to feel like this. If you're anaemic then you feel bad cos there's an imbalance in your blood, right ? Well, if you're depressed, then it could well be that there's an imabalnce in your hormones/ serotonin levels etc....but you'd never say to anaemic person "pull yourself togehter...be more active"...so if people start telling you to get a grip, don't take any notice.

And don't feel bad about having to take pills if that's what it takes. You need iron if you're anaemic, so you may well need something with serotonin if you're depressed. It's not being 'passive' as tintin calls it; depression, real clinical depression, is a severe illness which NO ONE would ever choose to suffer from. It can be life and soul destroying. But you've taken the first big step which is admitting there's a problem and gone to the Doctors. THat was really brave. You've set the ball rolling already. THere are loads of therapies that you can try, and your Doctor is sure to recommend some.

The Depression Support Group might be a very good way to meet other sufferers, and you can get in touch with them through SupNet (supnet@st-and.ac.uk) If you just want to chat to someone in confidence though, a trained professional rather than other students, then I'd suggest Student Support (sss@st-and.ac.uk)
They have a number of lovely intake workers who can just listen to you in confidence and then help you work out what you want to do next.

Depression can be a lonely business: please try and remember you're not alone. One in four people is thought to suffer from depression at some time in their lives. I hope you get things sorted.

[hr]St Andrews....if you can't pay, then you can't stay :(
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby hmph on Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:35 pm

Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of actually liking being depressed out of some misguided notion that it makes you more popular. There are far too many people who go about going "life is shit, why me cos I have no friends" day after day in the hope it gets them some sympathy.

It's folk like that who give depression a bad name cos they are in fact inflicting it on themselves.

Think positively and WANT to get better and you will.
hmph

Re:

Postby PS on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:06 pm

[s]Unregisted User hmph wrote on 15:42, 16th Feb 2004:
Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of actually liking being depressed out of some misguided notion that it makes you more popular. There are far too many people who go about going "life is shit, why me cos I have no friends" day after day in the hope it gets them some sympathy.

It's folk like that who give depression a bad name cos they are in fact inflicting it on themselves.

Think positively and WANT to get better and you will.

Well perhaps these people actually are depressed to some extent. Although there are some people who fake the whole cynicism thing, or beleive that their past is worse than everyone elses, for the above reasons.
PS

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:05 pm

I was trying to give advice for a clinically depressed person? Not someone feeling a bit blue (tend to be completely different)

KateBush

Re:

Postby hmm on Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:12 pm

[s]KateBush wrote on 14:05, 19th Feb 2004:
I was trying to give advice for a clinically depressed person? Not someone feeling a bit blue (tend to be completely different)

My point was that often people in the second category force themselves into the first catagory, so was warnng against actually enjoying depression which unfortunately many people do.

Oh and you can have actual depression without it being called clinical depression. There are many different types.
hmm

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:53 pm

Bloody hell - just a point on the side - if the same unregistered user is going to post please can you use the same name not 5 different ones and then refer to your last post that is under a totally diff unreg name :@
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby hmm on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:02 pm

[s]PurelySynthetic wrote on 16:53, 19th Feb 2004:
Bloody hell - just a point on the side - if the same unregistered user is going to post please can you use the same name not 5 different ones and then refer to your last post that is under a totally diff unreg name :@

I used two different ones over two posts. Couldn't remember the first one and as I referred to it anyway and the names were so similar it makes no difference. Bit silly to assume all unreg posts are by the same person though.
hmm

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:01 pm

Could you not just register?

KateBush

Re:

Postby doobee doo on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:01 am

[s]KateBush wrote on 19:01, 19th Feb 2004:
Could you not just register?

Could, don't want to.

1) don't feel like it
2) hopeless with passwords
3) ain't necessary
4) not a fan of people being told they have to on other boards.

Besides being a reg member always leads to arguments, mostly.
doobee doo

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:16 am

My ex girlfriend (before we got together) was very depressed, although she refused to go to a doctors to officially be diagnosed as such (so firstly well done to get that far, must have taken some courage). I cant advise any medical methods of remedy, but I seriously recommend confiding in a close friend if you have one in st.andrews, I was this girls closest friend, and enduring a whole day watching Friends episodes was enough to keep her going! She also stopped eating and withdrew herself, but if you have a friend closeby they'll understand and do their utmost to get you out and about, not so much in demanding roles, but in fun, sociable activities which maybe dont require too much solo interaction (cause obviously being in a bad unsociable, depressed mood in a hi-social activity will make things worse!) I doubt this makes much sense, but seriously just find a friend, confide in them, and just chat away, telling someone else your problems or concerns at the very least gets them off your chest for a while to concentrate on other things.

Hope I helped, really i do!
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby tintin on Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:19 pm

I would second that advice. A friend who is naturally outgoing but can listen works wonders; it does help to get problems off your chest and to find ways to laugh at them. Laughter is good medicine and will help: it releases some endorphins, I think.
tintin

Re:

Postby Wishingyouthebestofluck on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:12 pm

[s]Unregisted User hmm wrote on 16:59, 19th Feb 2004:
[s]PurelySynthetic wrote on 16:53, 19th Feb 2004:[i]

I used two different ones over two posts. Couldn't remember the first one and as I referred to it anyway and the names were so similar it makes no difference. Bit silly to assume all unreg posts are by the same person though.
[/i]

Well silly people make silly assumptions. On a completely different note, I think that KateBush's advice was great and I would have a look at http://www.campusblues.com Good luck.
Wishingyouthebestofluck

Next

Return to Advice Please!