Home

TheSinner.net

What is Gannochy like?

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

What is Gannochy like?

Postby Elizabeth on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:18 am

Hi - I'm coming back to St. Andrews for my M.Litt. (already did undergraduate 1999-2003) and I've been offered a place in Gannochy. I have to admit that I don't really know anything about it and the one time I visited a friend there, I wasn't too impressed...it seemed dark and dingy. Does it actually have a community feel, as half the people eat at Sallies and the other half are self-catered? Do the self-catered students find that their food is eaten by drunken people at 3 in the morning (as happened when I live in Atholl)?

If it's really a great hall, please let me know...I'm a bit worried and wondering if I should take my chances on finding a room for let somewhere.

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:27 am

[s]Unregisted User Elizabeth wrote on 16:24, 10th Aug 2004:
Hi - I'm coming back to St. Andrews for my M.Litt. (already did undergraduate 1999-2003) and I've been offered a place in Gannochy. I have to admit that I don't really know anything about it and the one time I visited a friend there, I wasn't too impressed...it seemed dark and dingy. Does it actually have a community feel, as half the people eat at Sallies and the other half are self-catered? Do the self-catered students find that their food is eaten by drunken people at 3 in the morning (as happened when I live in Atholl)?

If it's really a great hall, please let me know...I'm a bit worried and wondering if I should take my chances on finding a room for let somewhere.

Thanks!

It really depends on the people who will be on your floor. (do you know what room you'll be in?). This past year has been really great for me - lots of friendly people around. The catered people tend to know eachother better (i am non catered as are most people) but out of term everyone's self catered anyway. an odd thing does go missing from cupboards and fridges, but again it depends on the people you'll be sharing with. There can be problems with people not doing their fair share in the kitchens etc but i think the lovely community friendly feeling outweights all of this. if you make the littlist effort to be friendly, everyone is lovely. obviously there are some strange unfriendly people but that just gives the rest of us something to talk about :)
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby James on Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:55 pm

In my first year (and yours, Elizabeth, 1999), way back when Gannochy was wholly an undergrad building, it was introduced to me as "The Prison Wing of Sallies".

That was, I'm sure, purely based on looks, the same way as a place in Deans Court would fill one with more romantic ideas. The person quoted was a wit, of sorts, and I liked it.

I've had a few post-grad friends there recently, and they seemed to like it. Though the coridoors may be pokey, community still exists.

I also know for a fact, and have seen photographic evidence, that the view from one of the C floor toilet windows, out over the sea is amazing in the right conditions. Is the same true of other toilet windows? Therein lies a rather boring mystery.
James

How is my room?

Postby Tam on Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:10 pm

Hello,

I read your post, and I was just wondering who my room is. I am unfamiliar with how to read the letter I received, but it says for house number SS/GY36. Is that just room 36? I am considering letting elsewhere. Please advise.

Thank you.
Tam

[s]Rilla wrote on 13:27, 12th Aug 2004:
[s]Unregisted User Elizabeth wrote on 16:24, 10th Aug 2004:[i]

Thanks!

It really depends on the people who will be on your floor. (do you know what room you'll be in?). This past year has been really great for me - lots of friendly people around. The catered people tend to know eachother better (i am non catered as are most people) but out of term everyone's self catered anyway. an odd thing does go missing from cupboards and fridges, but again it depends on the people you'll be sharing with. There can be problems with people not doing their fair share in the kitchens etc but i think the lovely community friendly feeling outweights all of this. if you make the littlist effort to be friendly, everyone is lovely. obviously there are some strange unfriendly people but that just gives the rest of us something to talk about :)
[/i]
Tam

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:35 pm

[s]Unregisted User Tam wrote on 13:01, 17th Aug 2004:

I am unfamiliar with how to read the letter I received, but it says for house number SS/GY36. Is that just room 36?

Yes, the code translates as "St Salvator's Hall / Gannochy House Annexe, Room 36".
RJ Covino

Room number.

Postby Elizabeth on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:03 am

Tam - I think that SS/GY stands for Single Standard/Gannochy and that, yes, 36 is your room number. Mine is 67 - does anyone know either of these rooms? BTW, I did send in my acceptance, so will be living at Gannochy - the clincher was the thought of the North Point being right across the street....mmmm....fruit crumble. :)

James, are you the James who works on this website? If so, I know you by sight. I never knew that Gannochy was all undergraduate in our first years in St. As...interesting. I think at least by the summer before our third year, it was pretty much postgraduate.
Elizabeth

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:41 am

Hi! well basically gannochy is divided into two blocks - north block and south block (very imaginitive names i know). north block has 4 floors, each with its own kitchen, and south block 2 floors with only 1 kitchen, although another one is being built this summer, due to be finished "soon". room 36 is on what is currently known as the italian floor - lots of europeans, and has a really great atmosphere, i think most people are leaving though so there will be a new crowd in september. im on the floor below you, so pop down to the kitchen below yours and say hello! room 67 is in the south block. it depends on the year, but this year the 2 blocks had pretty seperate social lives, bar a couple of exceptions. all rooms, except the subwardens are pretty much the same size, although afew are bigger - they have all been booked up in advance though. I really can't give you much advice except be friendly etc, spend time in the kitchens and common room and dont get too stressed out about the state of the place because it will only get you down if you let it.
by the way, i have never been in a toilet in gannochy that has a window - how have i missed out on this?
Rilla

E-mail today.

Postby Elizabeth on Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:56 pm

So I just received this from Student Accommodation Services:

I refer to your contract for Gannochy House starting September 2004 . Due
to unavoidable circumstances it has been necessary to change your room
allocation to Room 47 instead of 67 .
You do not need to sign another contract as all other aspects of the
contract are the same.

This is a step up or a step down in the opinion of current/past Gannochy residents? Also, what could be "unavoidable circumstances" - someone else *demanded* to have Room 67?! :)
Elizabeth

I'm in Gannochy

Postby lauremw on Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:15 am

Hi I'm in room 10 in Gannochy, and I really hope there's a good group of people around me! I'm registered for an MLitt in art history.

- Laura

[s]Unregisted User Elizabeth wrote on 15:15, 23rd Aug 2004:
So I just received this from Student Accommodation Services:

I refer to your contract for Gannochy House starting September 2004 . Due
to unavoidable circumstances it has been necessary to change your room
allocation to Room 47 instead of 67 .
You do not need to sign another contract as all other aspects of the
contract are the same.

This is a step up or a step down in the opinion of current/past Gannochy residents? Also, what could be "unavoidable circumstances" - someone else *demanded* to have Room 67?! :)
lauremw

Re:

Postby James on Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:27 pm

[s]Unregisted User Elizabeth wrote on 16:16, 18th Aug 2004:
James, are you the James who works on this website? ... I think at least by the summer before our third year, it was pretty much postgraduate.

No - though I know him too, since we both did Maths and have a couple of friends in common.

Yes - I think it was largely post-grad in 3rd year, and now the transition is complete.
James

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:44 am

There is no difference (in size) between rooms 67 and 47. Just you're in another part of the building. I have spent the last year in Gannochy and I really loved it, I made some wonderful friends. but most of them are leaving this week :( so i will be friendless. so i will be depending on all the new people to be nice and fun
Rilla

room size

Postby Nick on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:44 am

This is really a useful thread. After much wrangling I have been allocated a room in Gannochy, someone has moved out... maybe someone on this thread???
I am curious as to what is supplied?
How big are the rooms?
Is there a desk and bookshelves?
I have an awful lot of books and just worried where they are all going to go.

Also I am curious about kitchen utensils and bedding. Do we supply the lot, or are some things already supplied?
Obviously I have not got my pack yet, so I am a bit in the dark at present.

I have to admit I don't know St Andrews, just been on one weekend to check the place out.

I am also curious, can we use things like Messenger on our own computers connected in our rooms to the Uni network?
Nick

partner

Postby James on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:44 am

Hey, I am going to be in Gannochy... just curious, my partner is coming to see me next June after examinations... what is the chance of her going undetected and sharing my room for a week?
James

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:05 pm

[s]Unregisted User James wrote on 01:11, 8th Sep 2004:
what is the chance of her going undetected and sharing my room for a week?

Slim, as the walls are paper-thin; however, you won't get bitched out for having her there.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:11 am

[s]Unregisted User Nick wrote on 01:08, 8th Sep 2004:
This is really a useful thread. After much wrangling I have been allocated a room in Gannochy, someone has moved out... maybe someone on this thread???

could be or could it be room 25 you'll be moving into? someone just said last week they're moving into a flat

I am curious as to what is supplied?
How big are the rooms?

not very big

Is there a desk and bookshelves?

yes and yes

I have an awful lot of books and just worried where they are all going to go.

if you have alot of books they probably wont all fit on the bookshelves provided but some people can put another bookshelf either at the bottom of the bed or along the window (ie somewhere it wont be considered a "firetrap")

Also I am curious about kitchen utensils and bedding. Do we supply the lot, or are some things already supplied?

everything is provided except towels. there can be problems in the kitchens with some having a surplus of forks etc but every now and then things balance out when we go and raid the other kitchens in the middle of the night. woops, this all sounds very juvenile, doesn't it. the kitchens are not great as there is some problems with cleaners and bins not being emptied hopefully this will all get sorted out very quicklky!

Obviously I have not got my pack yet, so I am a bit in the dark at present.

I have to admit I don't know St Andrews, just been on one weekend to check the place out.

it is a nice place. small. very small. but fun.

I am also curious, can we use things like Messenger on our own computers connected in our rooms to the Uni network?

yes, you can use messenger etc in the rooms if you have your own computer.

think that's everything answered, any other questions just ask! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in about a week now!

no, just remembered there's another question - there should be no problem having guests stay overnight - noone really cares, only the beds are tiny and walls are quite thin.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Nick on Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:09 pm

could be or could it be room 25 you'll be moving into? someone just said last week they're moving into a flat

Hey, thanks. Very helpful. Lucky guess or what, room 25 it is. Seriously worried about book space though. Just got told that one of the modules I was hoping to do may not be running, so looks like I am doing the modules I did my first and second dissertations on ...oops, even more books to bring :(

Look forward to saying hello to everyone, I will be the old git with a book on my lap, don't feel shy about interrupting me.
Nick

Moving in details.

Postby Elizabeth on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:30 am

So I will be arriving on Wednesday afternoon - where do I need to go to get my keys, etc? If I have to go to Sallies, just wondering what I should do with my bags, as I'll be coming in a taxi. I'm also worried that everyone in Gannochy will have met each other already and I'll be on the out :(

Also, can anyone please tell me what my mailing address should be so that I can give it to people here before I leave? Where do we pick our post up anyway? Sigh...so many questions, so much packing to do, and I can feel my throat getting scratchy even before the prospect of Freshers Flu (which I got every year, despite only pulling freshers while I myself was one!).

I look forward to meeting everyone though and am happy that even though Gannochy looks really ugly, the people, at least on here, seem really lovely and warm. :)
Elizabeth

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:59 am

[s]Unregisted User Elizabeth wrote on 02:52, 20th Sep 2004:
So I will be arriving on Wednesday afternoon - where do I need to go to get my keys, etc? If I have to go to Sallies, just wondering what I should do with my bags, as I'll be coming in a taxi.

Go to the main door of sallies to get your keys - dont worry about your bags etc sallies and gannochy are so near eachother you can leave your stuff at gannochy, run over collect your keys and it will all be fine!

I'm also worried that everyone in Gannochy will have met each other already and I'll be on the out :(

Again, dont worry! afew of us have met eachother already but there's still loads of empty rooms so people will be arriving all week. We will be having a party on friday so hopefully everyone will have arrived by then and we can all meet up. And there's a whole year ahead to get to know people!

Also, can anyone please tell me what my mailing address should be so that I can give it to people here before I leave? Where do we pick our post up anyway?

The address will be:
Room __
Gannochy House
North street
st andrews
fife
ky16 9az
scotland.

the post goes to pigeon holes in the common room its delivered there every morning.

Sigh...so many questions, so much packing to do, and I can feel my throat getting scratchy even before the prospect of Freshers Flu (which I got every year, despite only pulling freshers while I myself was one!).

I look forward to meeting everyone though and am happy that even though Gannochy looks really ugly, the people, at least on here, seem really lovely and warm. :)

Everyone so far that I've met has been really really nice and friendly and sociable and keen to meet other people. Relax and enjoy it! See you wednesday!
Rilla

Return to Advice Please!