Home

TheSinner.net

Gowns at other institutions

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Gowns at other institutions

Postby Sarah on Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:33 pm

Hello, I'm looking for some advice/opinions on gowns. I have my red gown from my first degree at St Andrews; now I'm about to embark on a postgrad course at Durham. My college is asking me to buy an UNDERgraduate gown as I will need it for formal dinners, matriculation, etc.

However, I'm a POSTgrad, plus I'm a bit skint; but I'm told that I'll be able to wear the gown of my first institution. So - do I (proudly) stand out from the darkly-gowned crowd and wear my red'un (the college might not let me), or shall I try and get hold of a secondhand postgrad gown? I've seen new ones to buy on the Ede and Ravenscroft website but they start at £166 :-O Do Bess sell them perhaps?

Failing all this I will probably just buy a college gown...

Anyway thought I'd ask - cheers!
Sarah

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:01 pm

[s]Sarah wrote on 16:33, 8th Sep 2004:
However, I'm a POSTgrad, plus I'm a bit skint; but I'm told that I'll be able to wear the gown of my first institution.

When you were informed this, they do not mean the undergraduate gown of your first institution. They are referring to your graduate gown.

So - do I (proudly) stand out from the darkly-gowned crowd and wear my red'un (the college might not let me)

And right they shouldn't, as it would be most improper for you to be masquerading as a St Andrews undergraduate when you are, in fact, a St Andrews graduate!

shall I try and get hold of a secondhand postgrad gown?

Should you still be in St Andrews, there are _occassionally_ graduate gowns available at the B.E.S.S. gown sale; however, another avenue that you may wish to approach is to contact E&R directly and ask them about the purchase of ex-hire gowns. These are usually in rather good condition, having been used only for the graduation ceremonies on the day itself, and come at a greatly reduced cost.

If you need contact numbers for E&R down in Edinburgh, post back.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Sarah on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:32 pm

Sadly I'm no longer in St Andrews. I've got the number for Ede and Ravenscroft so will give em a ring tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!
Sarah

Re:

Postby Sir Tufton Bufton on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:59 pm

Why on Earth would they ask that you wear an undergrad gown when you're obviously not an undergrad?

How odd.

I've always understood that students should wear the gown from whatever previous college/level they attended - until they have what is sometimes (ominously) called a terminal degree.
Sir Tufton Bufton

Re:

Postby Anthony Jordan on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:01 pm

Why on Earth would they ask that you wear an undergrad gown when you're obviously not an undergrad?

How odd.

The M.C.R. of University College Durham petitioned the Master for permission for Members to be allowed to wear the Durham Undergraduate gown to formal events if they did not have the gown of their degree. Undergraduate gowns can be procured quite cheaply through the college if one is an undergraduate (at least they could when I came up in '96 - about £30 for a new one, and £20 for second hand), but failing that try Gray's the Durham robemakers direct (191 386 4168). Alternatively there is a gentleman selling a Durham u/g gown on eBay at the moment.

Anthony.
Anthony Jordan

Return to Advice Please!