Home

TheSinner.net

Hottest Guy/Girl

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

Oppressed, oschmessed

Postby Tom Plant on Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:53 am

Yes, 'twas I.

Liz, are you really saying that manners and good dress-sense are just the products of an oppressive society? Do you think that people are intrinsically as rude and sloppy as we nowadays accept in the west? I don't - and bear in mind that the men are equally as calm and humble as the women. Expression of anger and confrontation goes against the Japanese spirit as a whole. These are not considered feminine qualities, just adult. It just so happens that, not being gay, I'm not all that interested in the men...

But you're right, in some ways Japanese society does discriminate against women, more so than in the west. It is still difficult for women to get top jobs in Japan, and the Japanese of our parents' generation are far more rigidly tied to conventional domestic arrangements than in the West, i.e. the wife stays at home and looks after the kids and house while the husband works. We are kidding ourselves if we think that the vast majority of western families are any different from this, but it's changing in Japan just as it is in the west.

But it's too easy to write all traditional Japanese women off as 'oppressed sisters'. You're looking from a very western point of view. Bear in mind that the most oppressive organ of the west, namely Christianity, has been almost completely absent in Japan. Japanese women are far more sexually free than their western counterparts. Many older women are genuinely happy to have a home, women and children provided by their salaryman husband, whom they maybe see one day a week, and maintain a fancy man or two on the side. They don't understand why their daughters don't want boring but monied husbands and a married life of leisure. This is not what I'm looking for, to be sure, but it's not uncommon. In western eyes, it's repressive, sure, but to the older Japanese women, it's very convenient.

Quid pro quo, Mr Powers. There are bad things about Japanese society, and there are good. Female sexuality is not a subject of taboo here. Unlike in the west, where a girl who has had several boyfriends is labelled loose, virginity is no prized commodity here. Women, especially in our generation, are as free as men in this respect, and far freer than most of their western sisters.

Both our societies have inequalities, which we are both overcoming - but it's definitely not those inequalities which make Japanese women beautiful. No, the reason that so many western men like Japanese girls is not because they're weak (which they're not), or submissive (which they're certainly not), but because they are as eager to make us happy as we are to do the same for them.

Now the Jerry Springeresque moral -

"much-needed social change is happening in Japan, just as it is in the West. But the stereotype of the society does not equate to the individuals who comprise it, and it is not right to judge it without first recognising our own different but equally harmful weaknesses, kids. Good night."

Bollocks to it all, my girlfriend's Japanese, and she's the most wonderful girl I can imagine. That's all that really matters! Why am I even writing this stuff? Who am I trying to justify myself to? Is it my mother, Freud? Is it?
Tom Plant

Oh, yes...

Postby Tom Plant on Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:55 am

And thanks for asking, Emma, I'm fine. I even have a handlebar moustache now.
Tom Plant

american girls kick ass

Postby blondewithgreeneyes on Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:57 pm

ya i'm an american girl, and i will tell anyone who posted rude or opinionated comments about us: we don't give a shit, we know were sexy, pretty, talented, smart, ect. so we don't care if others bring us down. if you like americans girls such as my self: great more power to you, if not then kiss my ass and move on. thank you.
blondewithgreeneyes

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Tue May 06, 2003 1:37 pm

[s]Unregisted User blondewithgreeneyes wrote on 03:11, 25th Apr 2003:
ya i'm an american girl, and i will tell anyone who posted rude or opinionated comments about us: we don't give a shit, we know were sexy, pretty, talented, smart, ect. so we don't care if others bring us down. if you like americans girls such as my self: great more power to you, if not then kiss my ass and move on. thank you.

And you wonder why everyone hates Americans? Smug, Arrogant and extremley annoying. Believe me I had to deal with em' when I was working in DRH. The girls are definatly worse than the guys. I always preferred Canadians anyway. Does anyone remember mad ginger Canadian Dave who used to wear shorts in winter and lived in DRH? He was cool, does anyone know what happened to him?
Fugaziboy

lengthy but relevant

Postby stan on Tue May 06, 2003 3:08 pm

okay this is lengthy and ive tried to edit as much as possible but what is left has some relevance to this thread. more intreguinely it attacks both american and british preconceptions. found it in todays times and is online and is written by a prominant american. if you can be bothered what do you think?

Earthy, highly sexed, and not the Britain I expected
David Frum

...When the British public want to read about the United States, it seems, they want to read about a rapacious country governed by a moronic president... Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, customers are queueing up to buy coffee-table books about Cotswold cottages and defiantly unapologetic histories of the British Empire...

The simplest explanation of these transatlantic differences is that we love you — but you don’t love us back...

And possibly they are right not to be placated. If the accusation against America is that Americans are too full of themselves to pay attention to anybody else, we hardly mitigate the offence by paying attention to a Britain that has ceased to exist...

The first and most deeply held stereotype of Britain among Americans is that of the twitchy, embarrassed, repressed Englishman and the frosty, sexless Englishwoman, both of them crushing all authentic feeling under the deadly obligations of good manners: Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral, Polly Radlett of Love in a Cold Climate. The truth is, though, that you are more likely to meet these stereotypes in Boston than in Bolton.

[edited alot here about politics as i didnt feel it relevant]

After reading the British press, one suddenly realises how much polite self-censorship North Americans engage in. A small example: a few days ago I saw in one of the British papers a heart-warming photograph of a serviceman returning from Iraq to meet for the first time his new baby. The caption explained that the serviceman’s “fiancée” had just given birth. Almost one-third of American babies are born out of wedlock — but it suddenly struck me that I had never seen a similar caption in an American paper. The photo editor would simply assume that the couple in the picture would not wish to publicise that their baby was born before they could get married — and so, out of ordinary courtesy, the editor would write a caption that sidestepped the relationship between the baby’s parents, like so: “Mom Betty Smith presents Sgt George Jones with the couple’s new baby, Jimmy, age three weeks.”...

The British like to scoff at American political correctness, and indeed by British standards, American public life must seem choked by taboos: against smoking, against cursing, against ethnic jokes. By American standards, in turn, the British seem almost shockingly earthy. At lunch in a fancy restaurant, a friend watched as a British woman pulled her baby on to the lunch table and changed its diaper in full view. You will sometimes catch a glimpse of a drunken New Yorker urinating in a dark alley; Londoners unembarrassedly relieve themselves against the brightly lit walls of the Centre Point building and then zip themselves up to run and catch the bus...

American visitors to Britain used to be affronted or delighted (according to their own status and ideology) by the class-conscious traditionalism of the old island. Henry James complained that the United States had no established church, no court, no ancient universities, nothing for a novelist to sink his teeth into — and exulted that Great Britain had them all. But despite the wigs on the lawyers and the tailcoats on the doormen of the hotels on Park Lane, there’s much more institutional continuity in the United States than in modern Britain: we still have counties and juries, gallons and local militias, search warrants and autonomous local governments. Our Capitol is 30 years older than your Parliament buildings; the façade of the White House is more than 100 years older than the front of Buckingham Palace. As for the feudal spirit, you are much likelier to find it in the valet parking lots of Los Angeles than in any British doorman, no matter what absurd costume management has forced on him...

The young Henry Adams served in the US Embassy in London in the early 1860s, and complained in a letter home that the British refused to acquire any new friends after the age of 11. That was old Britain. Today, judging by what my twentysomething friends tell me, it’s probably easier to make friends in London than in New York City — and almost certainly much easier for young men in pursuit of young women to make, um, good friends. The old British obsession with privacy seems to have been transcended for good. On the trains and buses, they happily shout the most intimate sexual and medical details into their mobile phones for all to hear...

Don’t misunderstand: I love Britain and I love the British — and I love them just the way they are: blunt, expressive, emotional, highly sexed, indifferent to rules and protocol. I love their informality of dress and their preoccupation with good food and fine wine. I only wish the British would overcome their prejudices and learn to value Americans as they are: polite, formal, stiff upper-lipped, sexually restrained, and imbued with the idealistic spirit of reform...

Perhaps we can’t interest you in phototributes to American country houses, although there are some very old and pretty ones. But could we at least prevail on you to consider the possibility that the United States is not a rogue state: it is just the you that you used to be. You’ve left much of that old self behind, of course, and for excellent reasons I am sure. But can’t you find it in yourself to pardon us for preserving the values and customs of older Britain across the ocean, just as we preserve your Gainsboroughs in the lush gardens of Pasadena and London Bridge in the deserts of Arizona? Or are you too angry at your own history to forgive us for continuing to live it?

David Frum, a former speechwriter to President Bush, is author of The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush.

[hr]
stan

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Tue May 06, 2003 5:01 pm

[s]stan wrote on 16:08, 6th May 2003:
okay this is lengthy and ive tried to edit as much as possible but what is left has some relevance to this thread. more intreguinely it attacks both american and british preconceptions. found it in todays times and is online and is written by a prominant american. if you can be bothered what do you think?

Earthy, highly sexed, and not the Britain I expected
David Frum

...When the British public want to read about the United States, it seems, they want to read about a rapacious country governed by a moronic president... Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, customers are queueing up to buy coffee-table books about Cotswold cottages and defiantly unapologetic histories of the British Empire...

The simplest explanation of these transatlantic differences is that we love you — but you don’t love us back...

And possibly they are right not to be placated. If the accusation against America is that Americans are too full of themselves to pay attention to anybody else, we hardly mitigate the offence by paying attention to a Britain that has ceased to exist...

The first and most deeply held stereotype of Britain among Americans is that of the twitchy, embarrassed, repressed Englishman and the frosty, sexless Englishwoman, both of them crushing all authentic feeling under the deadly obligations of good manners: Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral, Polly Radlett of Love in a Cold Climate. The truth is, though, that you are more likely to meet these stereotypes in Boston than in Bolton.

[edited alot here about politics as i didnt feel it relevant]

After reading the British press, one suddenly realises how much polite self-censorship North Americans engage in. A small example: a few days ago I saw in one of the British papers a heart-warming photograph of a serviceman returning from Iraq to meet for the first time his new baby. The caption explained that the serviceman’s “fiancée” had just given birth. Almost one-third of American babies are born out of wedlock — but it suddenly struck me that I had never seen a similar caption in an American paper. The photo editor would simply assume that the couple in the picture would not wish to publicise that their baby was born before they could get married — and so, out of ordinary courtesy, the editor would write a caption that sidestepped the relationship between the baby’s parents, like so: “Mom Betty Smith presents Sgt George Jones with the couple’s new baby, Jimmy, age three weeks.”...

The British like to scoff at American political correctness, and indeed by British standards, American public life must seem choked by taboos: against smoking, against cursing, against ethnic jokes. By American standards, in turn, the British seem almost shockingly earthy. At lunch in a fancy restaurant, a friend watched as a British woman pulled her baby on to the lunch table and changed its diaper in full view. You will sometimes catch a glimpse of a drunken New Yorker urinating in a dark alley; Londoners unembarrassedly relieve themselves against the brightly lit walls of the Centre Point building and then zip themselves up to run and catch the bus...

American visitors to Britain used to be affronted or delighted (according to their own status and ideology) by the class-conscious traditionalism of the old island. Henry James complained that the United States had no established church, no court, no ancient universities, nothing for a novelist to sink his teeth into — and exulted that Great Britain had them all. But despite the wigs on the lawyers and the tailcoats on the doormen of the hotels on Park Lane, there’s much more institutional continuity in the United States than in modern Britain: we still have counties and juries, gallons and local militias, search warrants and autonomous local governments. Our Capitol is 30 years older than your Parliament buildings; the façade of the White House is more than 100 years older than the front of Buckingham Palace. As for the feudal spirit, you are much likelier to find it in the valet parking lots of Los Angeles than in any British doorman, no matter what absurd costume management has forced on him...

The young Henry Adams served in the US Embassy in London in the early 1860s, and complained in a letter home that the British refused to acquire any new friends after the age of 11. That was old Britain. Today, judging by what my twentysomething friends tell me, it’s probably easier to make friends in London than in New York City — and almost certainly much easier for young men in pursuit of young women to make, um, good friends. The old British obsession with privacy seems to have been transcended for good. On the trains and buses, they happily shout the most intimate sexual and medical details into their mobile phones for all to hear...

Don’t misunderstand: I love Britain and I love the British — and I love them just the way they are: blunt, expressive, emotional, highly sexed, indifferent to rules and protocol. I love their informality of dress and their preoccupation with good food and fine wine. I only wish the British would overcome their prejudices and learn to value Americans as they are: polite, formal, stiff upper-lipped, sexually restrained, and imbued with the idealistic spirit of reform...

Perhaps we can’t interest you in phototributes to American country houses, although there are some very old and pretty ones. But could we at least prevail on you to consider the possibility that the United States is not a rogue state: it is just the you that you used to be. You’ve left much of that old self behind, of course, and for excellent reasons I am sure. But can’t you find it in yourself to pardon us for preserving the values and customs of older Britain across the ocean, just as we preserve your Gainsboroughs in the lush gardens of Pasadena and London Bridge in the deserts of Arizona? Or are you too angry at your own history to forgive us for continuing to live it?

David Frum, a former speechwriter to President Bush, is author of The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush.

[hr]

I didnt mean that Britain's perfect. We have plenty of moron's of our own (Their called students ), J/K. Seriously though I'm sure there are some cool Americans out there, but why do we get the idiots? I had to serve these assholes and it drove me mad 'oh my god they dont have tablecloths here' grrr... Stupid fools. Then they were blabbering on at me about that stupid Thanksgiving Day saying I was jealous of it!Of What? Their ancestors lying to the native Americans and stealing their land? Yeah that's really something to be proud of!
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue May 06, 2003 7:06 pm

On the subject of thanksgiving...

McIntosh Hall celebrates Thanksgiving.

We have breakfast of pancakes and bacon and maple syrup, and chicken (not turkey, but still points for trying) in a dining hall decorated with an American flag.

Somebody wrote into chit chattan to tell how there was a bunch of american girls in front of them in the queue, saying how much thanksgiving meant to them, and how it was really cool that the hall was celebrating this important holiday.

When the girls got to the hall to collect their special meal that meant so much to them, not one person actually gave thanks to the kitchen staff that had prepared it.

classy

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Emmy on Thu May 08, 2003 10:33 pm

[s]Unregisted User mossop wrote on 15:50, 3rd Dec 2002:
[s]Unregisted User PS wrote on 00:32, 2nd Dec 2002:[i]
I think they are more interesting

I too agree with this, but what about the scottish twang? OK, I'm not talking weegie screetch or anything here, but north scotland? Muy sexy!
[/i]

yeah Scottish accents are gorgeous - highlands and islands are the best - so diverse and like a song! the cities are a bit harsher and v different! but all v. sexy! heard a they shetlander's and orcadian's?
Emmy

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:43 am

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 14:37, 6th May 2003:
[s]Unregisted User blondewithgreeneyes wrote on 03:11, 25th Apr 2003:[i]

And you wonder why everyone hates Americans? Smug, Arrogant and extremley annoying. Believe me I had to deal with em' when I was working in DRH. The girls are definatly worse than the guys. I always preferred Canadians anyway. Does anyone remember mad ginger Canadian Dave who used to wear shorts in winter and lived in DRH? He was cool, does anyone know what happened to him?
[/i]

Hi well I am an American and I will say we arent the easiest to handle but when you get to know us we arent so bad ...plus you cant judge us by knowing only one person....it justs mu opinion
bye

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:22 pm

I think that part of the anti american attitude is created by 2 main things.

1. the very small number of rich americans who aren't representative of americans as a whole, who we have to put up with. Because of the nature of these people (loud, rude, in your face and uber confident) we notice them a lot, and we form opinions (not the bloddy yanks in the resaurant AGAIN! etc). I'm sure similar britons go to america... but its a bigger country so americans will see less of them, plus british people who are rich and rude and offensive don't make their presence known in general as much as their american counterparts.

2. we see what your government is like, what it does, how corrupted it is by corporations, religion, money and power.
Our government isn't great either, but it's no where near as bad, and we don't have the power to abuse... whereas america can abuse their power as much as they want and reshape the world in their own image and no one can stop them. Most non-americans can see this (as im sure many americans do) and this generally makes us anti american.

I'm sure the vast majority of americans are great people. But these things above, and things like the proportion of americans that believe in creationism, have an impact on our opinions and our view of the stereotypical american.
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:16 pm

^^
[hr]¸ôóé, ëßãá ÅëëçíéêÜ, ãéá íá ñùôÜôå "what is this?"
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby this really really annoys me. on Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:06 pm

[s]Unregisted User Anonymous wrote on 09:29, 8th Jul 2002:
American girsl are, in my opinion, beautiful and have a great accent.

since when can you call all american girls beautiful? there are several million of them, you can not say they are all beautiful as the law of averages says they wont be. and there are different american accents anyway.
same goes for germans and orientals.
some brtish girls are polite etc and im sure there are nasty orientals.
this really really annoys me.

Daaannng....

Postby AznLily428 on Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:14 pm

I'm an American, Female, from Oklahoma, and I'm Chinese, and 21. Now that we got that out of the way...American girls are no different from other women in different countries. There are beautiful women from all cultures. It's just depends on the males personal choice. As an American, we are intrigued by your accent also. But calling us loud and rude? Maybe if we are drunk (not saying me personally). You have no right making the implication by popular opinion. Judge an actualy American by talking to them one on one, then make your decision. There are rude people everywhere you go, they are just reacting to prejudice mind settings or pure stupidity. So what if we show confidence, hiding and being shy never gets anybody anywhere! The buisness world is not friendly to the faint of heart. Get to know an American before you judge us. We are quite friendly and open people...
AznLily428

Re:

Postby carmon on Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:18 pm

[s]EviLTwiN wrote on 14:22, 8th Jul 2003:
I think that part of the anti american attitude is created by 2 main things.

Well said!!! I'm an Asian-American and yeah, not all Americans are nice and sweet...the rich ones are a bit snobby and some are just plain prejudice and rude! But anyhow, well said EvilTwin!
carmon

Hoes

Postby Mad_Scot on Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:27 pm

[s]Unregisted User Anonymous wrote on 09:29, 8th Jul 2002:
American girsl are, in my opinion, beautiful and have a great accent.

American girls are cheap hoes in my opinion...basically just trailer trash..
Mad_Scot

Re:

Postby benedict on Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:37 pm

note the name: Mad_Scot folks.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
benedict

Re:

Postby Keynes on Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:30 am

<<<2. we see what your government is like, what it does, how corrupted it is by corporations, religion, money and power.
Our government isn't great either, but it's no where near as bad, and we don't have the power to abuse... whereas america can abuse their power as much as they want and reshape the world in their own image and no one can stop them. Most non-americans can see this (as im sure many americans do) and this generally makes us anti american.>>>

I can see how this would cause one to dislike the American government and foreign policy. However, this government abuses its own citizens as well. My father, for example, worked for Enron (as an energy consultant), and helped the company allocate its resources more efficiently. He was reimbursed in stocks, which, after the scandal [caused by execs], lost an incredible amount of value.

I understand that non-Americans are disgusted. I understand that people feel (rightly) oppressed by our foreign policy and culture. It is a viewpoint that I respect, and understand to be important. I am not debating your point.

However, as someone who has been DIRECTLY affected by the corporate scandals, I get a bit bitter. Please realize that many Americans are adversely affected by the actions of the U.S. government as well. You can toss around words like "corruption" and "money" all you want, but it's far worse up-close.

And we have to pay taxes to support these policies...

[hr]

Challenge is pleasure.
Keynes

Wish they all could be California girls...

Postby larkvi on Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:12 am

Why do only the really dumb American girls post replies to this board (perhaps because it is a really shallow topic?), thus setting themselves up for the lambastes of trolls?

I would point out that the most likely reason that all seem to think that American women are stupid and loud is that, in St Andrews, the ones who aren't stupid and loud also don't advertise themselves as Americans...

I would like to thank Keynes for showing that not all American women are airheads who cannot form a coherent sentence.

Anyways, gentlemen, you are missing the point. As someone who has lived in both the US and the UK, I feel I can comfortably state that there are no significant differences between the women in either country. No matter where you go, the fact of the matter is that women are EVIL. This doesn't change. You are going to have to live with it, so why not stop trolling boards and go out and get your heart crushed a few times--you will find that the nationality of the boot does not change the treadmarks on your heart. Women of all races are equal-opportunity mankillers... ;-)
larkvi

i love this paragraph!

Postby stan on Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:14 pm

[s]larkvi wrote on 06:12, 2nd Aug 2003:
No matter where you go, the fact of the matter is that women are EVIL. This doesn't change. You are going to have to live with it, so why not stop trolling boards and go out and get your heart crushed a few times--you will find that the nationality of the boot does not change the treadmarks on your heart. Women of all races are equal-opportunity mankillers... ;-)

deserves to be posted again!
stan

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:27 am

Give a girl with an irish accent any day....its SO sexy, I'd die happy with a smile on my face if I had an irish lass whispering sweet nothings in my ear in that lovely voice...I've yet to meet an irish girl who hasnt struck a nerve with me through her voice!!
Paranoid

PreviousNext

Return to The Students' Association (Union)