Home

TheSinner.net

DAVID RUSSELL HALL

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

DAVID RUSSELL HALL

Postby Mark on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Hey, I am starting as a fresher this September and have been given a place in David Russell Hall. It was one of the places I didn't want to be but it doesn't seem I have any choice.

Firstly, what is it like (room sizes etc)?
Secondly, if it really is terrible what can I do to try and get transferred to somewhere like Hamilton Hall/University Hall, and how easy would this be?

Thanks.
Mark

Re:

Postby tamsyn on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

All i know is that DRH is quite a long way away from town,the rooms i have seen are quite small.If you want a chance of moving put in a request at the accommodation office like in the first week you are there as people do drop out etc, you want to be top of the list.Ive heard people get on well but the major disadvantage is the distance from town and lectures etc. hope you have fun it is a great uni anyway.
tamsyn

Re:

Postby athaclena on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

DRH is one of the better ones for community spirit and loud parties and stuff, but it's far out of town if you're an artist or a medic. It's fine for Science.

All hall food is dire so don't expect much. The hall itself is pretty old, and rumour has it was biult on the same lines as a mental asylum: all the rooms are positioned in such a way that you can see someone else's room so you don't feel alone. It could be true.

A wide range of people get put in it and you've got a good chance of meeting someone you like. A lot of the other halls don't have as wide a range, which makes it harder. There's a bus for the walk, too,and I think it's the cheapest hall as you don't get lunch due to it being too far out.

If you really want to change, you can, but I wouldn't. I don't think I know anyone who didn't like being there.
athaclena

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

They are building a new DRH which will be open by September 2003! The official turf-removing ceremony took place this afternoon.

http://calvin.st-andrews.ac.uk/external ... erence=340
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I wrote out a long message in reply to this, but must have mis-typed my password, as the message wasn't posted.

Message went along these lines:

DRH good.
Food alright, brush up on culinary skills.
DRH not far away from town - people lazy and subjected to small town culture.
DRH better suited to healthy scientists than lazy artists.

And other stuff.
Thackary

Re:

Postby monkeymadness on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

It takes 15-20 mins to walk from DRH to town.

I mean, that's not really a lot is it?

Lazy bastards.
monkeymadness

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:12 pm

have a look at www.thesinner.co.uk/article-view.php?article=13 for more information and some pictures.

From Oli
Oli

DRH way back when

Postby Andy Anthrax on Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:45 pm

Totally classic place to stay to start with. I spent two years there, 1988 and 1989 (stop spitting out your beer) and they were well cool. There's enough space under the sinks for a couple of crates of lager, and enough space in the bed for two (if one of you doesn't mind the wierd bumpy wallpaper).

As for the distance... get a bike! North haugh = 60secs if you're suicidal.

[hr]Jazz? Piece of pish. Stand there and stroke your.... beard.
Andy Anthrax

Abandoned Building

Postby Lazy Boy on Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:47 pm

The block I'm in (Herkless, 25-50) is virtually abandoned. I haven't talked to anybody in the building at all! There is literally 5 people in the entire building, and its freaky as hell. I haven't made a single friend since I moved in.
Just to ask, is Herkless the only abandoned DRH block, or are there others? :)
I'm wondering since I feel really weird eating dinner on my own every day :(
Lazy Boy

Lazy Boy

Postby JJ on Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:10 pm

Find out if the others in Herkless are also 1st years (on the main board) - if they are I am sure that they would welcome you making the brave step of introducing yourself - I guess they will all feel the same!
JJ

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:38 pm

Lazy Boy - perhaps if you replied to people's greetings instead of pretending not to see them when passing then you might make friends
tintin

Herkless the party block

Postby SecondYearInHerkless on Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:43 pm

I remember the good ol days, last year actually, when Herkless was the party block of DRH. How I miss them, this year the people are... less into partying. I shall never forget the one man riot that someone had on the last day, until next year.
SecondYearInHerkless

Re:

Postby Lazy Boy on Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:44 pm

Thats interesting.. do you know me? I'm as blind as a bat in real life, so maybe thats true.
Lazy Boy

Re:

Postby Lazy Boy on Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:44 pm

Thats interesting, do you know me?
I'm as blind as a bat in real life so maybe what you say is true! :)
Lazy Boy

DRH rules. Officially.

Postby Tom Plant on Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:37 am

Ah, I spent four wonderful years in DRH. Don't worry. The people who moan about the food haven't quite got off Daddy's yacht yet - you don't get any Filipina maids feeding you caviar from their naked bellies, but the food's good for institutional stuff. Certainly, it was much better when I left Hall then when I first arrived.

As for the walk, it may not be so pleasant in deepest Winter, but you can always get a bike. Alternatively, find a friend in town with a flat you can roll into pissed as a newt and kip on the floor. That's what I did.
Tom Plant

DRH rules. Officially.

Postby Tom Plant on Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:41 am

Ah, I spent four wonderful years in DRH. Don't worry. The people who moan about the food haven't quite got off Daddy's yacht yet - you don't get any Filipina maids feeding you caviar from their naked bellies, but the food's good for institutional stuff. Certainly, it was much better when I left Hall then when I first arrived.

As for the walk, it may not be so pleasant in deepest Winter, but you can always get a bike. Alternatively, find a friend in town with a flat you can roll into pissed as a newt and kip on the floor. That's what I did.
Tom Plant

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:09 pm

Ah, Herkless. That brings up some good memories from last year. We had some great parties there :) Someone must remember them??
Rennie

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:32 pm

if someone remembers them, then it must have been pretty shit :P

[hr]its a spoon!

http://www.tastyspoon.com
niall

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:16 pm

what? niall, you make no sense.
Rennie

Herkless

Postby Moyersy on Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:59 am

I have to agree with the two other posts on here, Herkless was a really good block to be in last year.

Not seen/heard/smelt/felt much going on there this year though, shame really. I'll have to get round there to egg some windows just for old times sake.

I almost wish I was living there now because we could really trash the place since it's getting knocked down in a year or so.
Moyersy

Next

Return to The Students' Association (Union)