Home

TheSinner.net

How good is St. Andrews?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

How good is St. Andrews?

Postby I am new on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:25 am

Hi ya,
I know it is a bit early but I am thinking about applying to St.Andrews next autumn. Can you give me some opinions about what is great and what is not? How good do you find the uni academically? Is it pretty posh?
Thanx a lot in advance!
I am new

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:59 pm

Hey there, st andrews is great man!! Its like if you like social things there isnt that much to do, but there are millions of pubs and the union is pretty cool..we have a cinema...but you know, dundee (the nearest big town) is only 40 mins away, and theres plenty to do there!!

Its not really posh- i mean you do get some liek really posh people (we call them ya's) but you dont tend to see them thaty often so its all cool!! Most people ive met are "normal" and down to earth- another thing thats great is that you know everyone- you pass every one and you liek knoe them all!! Its great...

Depends what subjects you're doing...french dept isn't that great, but you know, its all good!! In general, its pretty good academically!!

hope you decide to come- its a great experience man!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:08 pm

Coming to St Andrews was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Lau on Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:37 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 19:08, 25th Mar 2005:

Same here...it's great! Come to St Andrews!
Lau

Re:

Postby annonymous1 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:34 am

What do you want to study? Then judge it on the strength of the uni's reputation for that subject as well - it will have an important standing in your future after education!
annonymous1

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:39 am

Come to St. Andrews.... you won't regret it!

x
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:40 pm

It's in the middle of nowhere, but there are various (and cheap) means of getting to other places for a night out. Night life, in my opinion, is not at all bad considering the size of the place - no clubs mind.

As for it being 'posh', well, the student body is pretty diverse; there are all sorts here, and generally if you do not feel inclined to associate with a particular group/clique (if you believe they are such) then you don't have to.

Basically, it has everything you need, life here is as easy-going or fast paced as you want it to be.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:29 pm

It's on the edge of nowhere, but it's great
Light the Rag

coming soon..

Postby sweet chick on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:51 pm

I am coming to st-andrews in september. From the website it looks as if ther are tonnes of things to do socially. I know it must be cool to meet people you no all the time but is it not annoying that everyone knows your buisness - or is it not like that??
sweet chick

Re:

Postby HarryP on Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:13 pm

Quoting Lau from 22:37, 3rd Apr 2005
[s]Bonnie wrote on 19:08, 25th Mar 2005:

Same here...it's great! Come to St Andrews!

Likewise
HarryP

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:07 pm

I miss the town already...

If you get the chance to share the dream, take it...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby cooldudette on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

st andrews is bollocks. Me and my friend have both left after 2 years, and in that 2 years i only met 2 people that i would consider to be normal people that you can hang out with and get pissed.
if you're posh then st andrews is great; but i'm not posh in the slightest and often felt discriminated against or shunned. There are so many people that think they are better than everyone else that it's quite hard to make friends.
cooldudette

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:57 pm

i personally think that last post is bullshit.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.maxeh.co.uk [The Music Community][/s]
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com [Projects Home][/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby sb1 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:55 am

I totally agree with Duggeh. I LOVE St.Andrews!!!!! :-D
sb1

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:34 pm

It's impressive that it took two years for her to reach the decision that she didn't like St Andrews.
Al

Re:

Postby tintin on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:41 pm

I thought the point of coming to University was to study, not find people to drink with - though I may be mistaken. A bit of a silly reason to leave half-way through if you ask me.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mat_salleh
tintin

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting cooldudette from 21:35, 2nd Aug 2005
st andrews is bollocks. Me and my friend have both left after 2 years, and in that 2 years i only met 2 people that i would consider to be normal people that you can hang out with and get pissed.
if you're posh then st andrews is great; but i'm not posh in the slightest and often felt discriminated against or shunned. There are so many people that think they are better than everyone else that it's quite hard to make friends.

firstly, wheres the fun in normal people. secondly if all the people you know are yas then you are hanging out with the wrong crowd (though daddy wouldn't think so). thirdly thats a nice supiriority complex you have there. fourthly I think it's sad that you would leave university (and with it your degree and a well paid job) because you can't find anyone to drink with. That said we value your opinion, and I can only say that hers are not typical experiances.

[hr]

minesweeper times:
Beginner: 3
Intermediate: 34
Expert: 163

A wasted life.
eternally optimistic - against all evidence
the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby jeng_1806 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Quoting cooldudette from 21:35, 2nd Aug 2005

im personally quite curious as to why you're still visiting the sinner if you hate the uni and its people so much...?

i have to say i love the town, miss everyone when i leave for the summer and cant wait to get back!! im just going into fourth yr and so far each yr has been better than the last so cant wait- and as for people to drink with have to say ive met plenty! posh people- if you dont like them, you dont have to hang around with them- you learn where not to go if you want to avoid them.

so there you go, come to st andrews- its awesome :)

academically think its pretty good for most things, you can double check tables on the net.
jeng_1806

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:26 am

Anyone who knows me in real life or just on the Sinner will know it took me awhile to settle in as St Andrews was never my first choice institution (I put it on my application from to fill up the sixth space but a combination of eff ups by my college meant I ended up in St Andrews.)

Anyhow, I'm now about to start my 4th year and I have to say I'm happy that I came! :) I found good friends (yes I met some tossers too but you'll find them wherever you go).

Lecture theatres/department buildings are all within an easy walk so it saves on travelling costs. You get to know your tutors/lecturers better which means it's easier to get help if you're stuck on something or you just want some topic clarifying.

Having St Andrews on your CV looks good, and I find it happens to be a nice conversation starter.

Make no mistake - I still miss the city and love Manchester like mad - but with my bro studying in Manchester I get to go down and join in the fun there too!!

So yeah, the point of this post is: If you like the idea of an old traditional uni with its quirkly little ways, and living in a small town doesn't bother you, then you're part way to liking the way of life in St Andrews.

If you come and don't settle in straightaway - don't fret! It can be daunting seeing all these posts saying it's great and then getting here and not settling in straight away but my advice is STICK WITH IT!! Give it time...you'll eventually meet people like you and have a good time!

And as for coming across loads of yahs and there being no normal people here....well what do you define as normal?? Yahs do exist...but they're not everywhere and I certainly don't find myself bothered by them in the slightest!

Ultimately...uni is what you make it...if you come to St Andrews, get involved, talk to people, etc...then you're bound to love it!
harmless loony

Return to The Students' Association (Union)