Home

TheSinner.net

is it really boring?

Welcome to the Union message board. Here's your opportunity to tell us what you think of what we're doing on your behalf. Enjoy! - Oli Walker, Head of Media, Marketing and Design, http://www.YourUnion.netPlease post any requests for advice (about anything) on The Sinner's ADVICE board. Ta!

is it really boring?

Postby hero on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

hi darlings!!!!

I've been offered a place 4 next year, and don't know what 2 do....is it boring there? I live in London, and I've heard that there really isn't anything at all at St Andrews. Any shops? any restaurants? and clubs?????

I know there are loads of pubs - thats good, but is that IT???

luv

hero
hero

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Not really, yes, no.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby Dax on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

No, we have no shops, no restaurants and no clubs here. We spend our days sitting on the grass talking. I can't honestly remember the last time I saw a motorised vehicle.

The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that we have no electricty. Also TB is prevalent since we have no clean water supply.

Although on the bright side we do have three toilets to share between the entire town Apparantly we are to get a new one, although don't build your hopes up, as we all know what our tribe leader is like. Says one thing, delivers another and all that.

(intended as tongue in cheek)

Hero (Metro)
Dax

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

St Andrews isn't London, and that's the way we like it. Throw another cow pat on the fire Mum, there's city folk a-comin'!
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby monkeymadness on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Hero (Metro)

eh? what?
monkeymadness

Re:

Sorry, I was taking the piss out of the original poster who called themselves 'Hero'. I took it to be taken from the name of Enrique Iglesias' song. On the same album there is another version of the song called 'Hero (Metro Mix)'
Dax

Re:

Thanks for clearing that up for people who are not fans of Enrique Iglesias.
monkeymadness

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Yes I'm sure us hetros are all clear on the subject now (jesting of course)
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby Chris Satterley on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Enrique will always live in the shadow of his father.
Chris Satterley

Re:

Postby armareum on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

But when his father dies, does that mean?...
armareum

Re:

Postby Clonion on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

He'll be underground? (Assuming that Pater will be buried that is)
Clonion

Re:

Postby Emma on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

We may live in hope...

Referring to the previous post, thetre's a small New Look, some ace charity shops and a Costa, but there's only one club with serious events, and if you're a girl they won't let you in.

No, really, they won't.
Emma

Re:

"is it really boring?
hi darlings!!!! "

I don't know why it is, but she just sounds like a stuck up, pretentious, yah.

Anyone else have a similar vibe?

(Mabye its just our countryside intuition kicking in!)
Dax

I thought the same thing too

Postby sheep on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I first read the girls message. But that means that even if theres nothing for her to do here in the way of shops, clubs etc, she'll be able to converse with the half of the uni who are just like her. Maybe its better if she doesn't come? (just a thought, and also I realise we (I) should judge her on the basis of one post).
sheep

Re:

Postby Anon on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

If you like going to the pub and getting pissed then St. Andrews is great, but to be honest there isn't much else in the way of night life. There are no clubs or music venues in town and the Union restricts itself to cheesey disco. I'm a third year and I've been pretty bored here, so if a social life is important to you St. Andrews probably isn't the right place.
Anon

Re:

To be fair, in my esteemed opinion (and i've been here four years) the above post is talking shite.

If you want a social life, then this isn't the place to come? Urh, no. Complete bollocks.

If you want a social life which consists of clubbing, pubbing etc then maybe this isn't the ideal place to do so. But if you want a social life where you go out pubbing, and then on to the numerous house parties which go on, and which you'll ALWAYS meet someone you know then this is certainly the place to be. Literally, every week outside the Students Union kicks out, there'll be loads of people announcing where the parties are and the majority of people having parites do have an open door policy.

St Andrews possibly isn't great for ORGANISED night life, but if you're prepared to put a little effort in yourself, then its certainly worth considering.
Dax

What kind of music would you like the Union to put on?

Postby Ents - RichZ on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

We do put on a range of stuff in the Union, it's not just pop stuff. Rocksoc events always seem to do OK, there are other sorts but the poweres that be - ie vps won't put them on if people don't turn up to them! I know that the variety isn't massive but it's a bit pointless if hardly anyone turns up. Especially from our point of view - if we've spent a few hours setting stuff up and nobody turns up then we're bound to think "what's the point" ehh!?!

I don't mean to sound like I'm 'having a go'. I've just re-read it and relise it may sound that way but it's not meant to, and I've got to go so can't change it.
Ents - RichZ

Re:

Postby chris on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Dax

cheers for that message as it's just what i wanted to know....my only hesitation was that the nights could be too quiet, but with loads of pubbing and house parties, it sounds right up my street.

i'm from london, but from what i can tell, i'm nothing like a 'yah'. not to sound rude, i have met a few 'yah'-like people and have found them somewhat arse-like. this will be a ridiculous question, but here goes....just becuase i'm from london will some people assume i'm a yah?
chris

Re:

no
monkeymadness

Re:

Chris, not at all no

The people generally termed yah's up here are the types that are stuck up, up themselves basing their entire university life on just how rich daddy is.

But don't worry, London doesn't automatically equate to yah.

I'm out of here in three weeks, and if you do decide to come up, then I hope you have a fantastic time, I know I have. (Also, whereever, you decide to go, have fun)

As a sign that the nightlife is good uphere, I'm feeling rough as a badgers a**e this morning - excessive drinking in hall of residence, then off to the pub for a few pitchers and then finishing up at a rather large house party!
Dax

Next

Return to The Students' Association (Union)