Home

TheSinner.net

Be careful at Cherries

Be careful at Cherries

Postby donnamatrix on Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:22 am

I went to Cherries for lunch today, and ordered a houmous and salad baguette. They cut it in half for me as I was eating in. As I went to pick up the second half of my baguette, I noticed to my horror something that looked very much like tuna (something I didn't like even when I ate meat) on the roll. Turns out it WAS tuna. I went up and showed the girl who had made it, who apologised and refunded the cost of the baguette.

I don't know how it got there, but it's made me really wary of eating there again! I'm sending them a polite letter asking their staff to be more careful with cross-contamination in future. The thought that I could've eaten tuna makes me sick.
[s]"Those who claim to care about the well-being of human beings and the preservation of our environment should become vegetarians for that reason alone. They would thereby increase the amount of grain available to feed people elsewhere, reduce pollution, save water and energy, and cease contributing to the clearing of forests."
--Peter Singer[/s]
donnamatrix

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:36 pm

Sorry but to me that's a little pedantic...
papercutheart

Re:

Postby donnamatrix on Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:18 pm

[s]papercutheart wrote on 16:36, 8th Apr 2005:
Sorry but to me that's a little pedantic...

To me it's not pedantic at all. I try to avoid animal products (and flesh) as much as possible, and have been doing pretty well so far, and have been doing it for so long that the thought of eating meat makes me feel sick. Surely anyone can see how upsetting it would be to buy a vegan sandwich only to find fish on it! I don't think you can apply the word 'pedantic' to a serious ethical and personal issue.

[hr]
[s]"Those who claim to care about the well-being of human beings and the preservation of our environment should become vegetarians for that reason alone. They would thereby increase the amount of grain available to feed people elsewhere, reduce pollution, save water and energy, and cease contributing to the clearing of forests."
--Peter Singer[/s]
--Peter Singer[/s]
donnamatrix

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:19 pm

Yes because ethics mean its ok for that brutally murdered fish to end up in the waste bin instead...
papercutheart

Re:

Postby donnamatrix on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:44 am

[s]papercutheart wrote on 20:19, 9th Apr 2005:
Yes because ethics mean its ok for that brutally murdered fish to end up in the waste bin instead...

!!! This wasn't a whole fish, it was a small piece of tuna. And no doubt they didn't bin their entire supply of tuna because of my complaint. I don't know what they did with the half of the sandwich I returned - assumedly it did go in the bin, but luckily the houmous wasn't 'brutally murdered'. I suppose you'd rather I ate the small piece of tuna to save it from being put in the bin?

[hr]
--Peter Singer[/s]
--Peter Singer[/s]
donnamatrix

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:40 am

No but you can't play the ETHICS card over this, since your not exactly saving the fish...
papercutheart

Re:

Postby flossy on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:45 pm

I think the crosscontamination thing is more worrying than the veggie thing-- what if you were allergic? Or if they used the same tongs for cooked and cold meats for non-veggies? That's totally disgusting and could get them closed down.

[hr]

Jesus saves.... Shearer scores on the rebound.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Lyra on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:12 pm

I'm not sure that mixing up fillings is quite the same thing as cross-contamination. Just because someone orders a 'veggie' roll doesn't necessarily mean that they ARE veggie, and I would never assume that it did, so I don't think that cross-contamination is necessarily tehe right phrase to use here.

Also I feel that there is a slight difference between mixing up fillings and using the same utensils for cooked as cold meats. One is carelessness, the other goes against standard practise for any kitchen and is illegal (I think - are Health and Safety regulations actually law?)
The Man With No Name - Danger fits him like a tight black glove
Lyra

Return to TEMP (newsinner): vegesoc