Home

TheSinner.net

Why did you become veggie/vegan?

Why did you become veggie/vegan?

Postby donnamatrix on Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:21 pm

Here's a new thread suggested by George (maybe you can copy and paste your post in this thread George?)

I became veggie over 3 years ago when I saw Apocalypse Now - when the cow is killed it looks right at the camera, right at you as it falls, and that was it for me - it just clicked. That was in my first year - I went to hall that night and had the veggie option, and never looked back.

About a year and a half ago I found myself browsing some websites (VIVA! and PETA and others) and started reading about veganism. I realised that what I grounded my vegetarianism on--compassion--ought to extend to my giving up animal products completely. I was more of a transition than it was from meat-eater to veggie, as I really needed to educate myself on vegan nutrition, and sort out what I could and couldn't eat. I'm so glad I stuck at it - I can't imagine not being vegan. Although it wasn't a motivating concern, I later learned about the health benefits of cutting out dairy and eggs.
[s]"Those who claim to care about the well-being of human beings and the preservation of our environment should become vegetarians for that reason alone. They would thereby increase the amount of grain available to feed people elsewhere, reduce pollution, save water and energy, and cease contributing to the clearing of forests."
--Peter Singer[/s]
donnamatrix

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:01 am

NOT because the devil seduce me (as Paul inferred earlier this week).
..er a number of reasons;

1/ I read "Fast food nation" by Eric Schlosser, it really put the fear in me about meat quality / safety.
2/ I lived in catered hall for 2 years
3/ Its cheaper and healthier this way
4/ I don't really like meat
5/ I was attempting to be a student and try and annoy my family and parents. Fortunately they saw through this and have been most marvellous and supportive...

I rarely ever tell people I'm vegetarian however, I just say "I don't eat meat." Iv'e found that gets a better reaction, people seem to be opinionated against vegetarians, and admittedly there is a lot of undesireable baggage given to "us" from the bad preachy food-fascist types.

[hr][s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Lyra on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:57 pm

I became officially veggie when I discovered it was easier to describe myself as Vegetarian than list the things I didn't like.
I have stayed veggie because I like being an inconvenience to meat eaters who have absolutely no idea what to feed me.
I also enjoy sitting in restaurants and cafe's and realising that I don't actually like the token veggie option on the menu ... :-P
The Man With No Name - Danger fits him like a tight black glove
Lyra

Re:

Postby zen-like tranquility on Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:47 pm

I was born veggie

and I stayed veggie, well, I couldn't really say exactly why, but it just makes most sense
zen-like tranquility

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:01 pm

For a bet
papercutheart

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:47 am

Quoting papercutheart from 22:01, 13th Apr 2005
For a bet

HAHA! You LosE!

[hr]

[s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Return to TEMP (newsinner): vegesoc