Home

TheSinner.net

Observations about Orientation/Pre-sesh this year?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:42 am

[s]munchingfoo wrote on 09:11, 11th Oct 2004:
Secondly, you obviously weren't there when the Javine CD skipped when she was 'singing'

funny, that Javine didnt use a CD.....

Nothing skipped during Javine, otherwise i would've noticed, being as i was sound engineer for the evening.

(and now that you know what position i was in during those nights, maybe you'll listen to me?)
niall

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:54 am

[i]
Cheaper beer isn't going to be an option - the union sells it as cheap as it can already.

Read the union's message board and perhaps your ignorance of this topic may depart for a brief while. The price was increased under a recomendation from the licensing board.
[/i]

so i'll rephrase what ethan said,

Cheaper beer isn't going to be an option - the union already sells it as cheaply as it leagally can

that better?
niall

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:03 am

Not really. It is not a legal matter. This was also discussed on that post. A recomendation is not set in stone. I appreciate there may be difficulties involved but there was no direct contact from the LB saying you MUST put up prices, as far as I can see from the thread.

The bit about Javine skipping I read from the sinner. I will try and find the link.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)

My website:
http://aa.domaindlx.com/munchingfoo/
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Nell on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:13 am

If you belive everything you read here, then you are the fool.
Nell

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:17 am

It was from someone who said they were on Ents. Maybe it was at Tiffany. They said they jumped of the satge and it skipped or something like that.

Can't find the link.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

My website:
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:20 am

[s]md25 wrote on 22:36, 10th Oct 2004:
Why are the Union's alcohol prices so high relative to other unions? Is it just economies of scale or, for example, are the drinkers subsidising the union's other activities?

The block grant received from the university is roughly £158,000. It has been the exact same cash amount for the past three years. The increase that was received at that point was exactly enough to cover an expected increase in heat and power costs, which the Students' Association purchases from the university.
In 1995, when there were far fewer students, it was £220,000.

The costs of providing our representational functions (plus socs funding, etc) are about £300,000, so the bars and events are subsidising other activities to the tune of about £140,000.
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Representation @ Your Uni

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:33 am

Firstly, if you could actualy read you would see quite clearly that it is the big money payed to the artists themselves and not the door price to which I refered.

Your use of language is ambiguous. Your statement could have been read either way. To avoid future confusion, please make better use of the English language.

Secondly, you obviously weren't there when the Javine CD skipped when she was 'singing'

Tiffany was singing to a backing CD - none of the discs that the artists brought with them had any lyrics on (other than Tim Westwood's)
I think that you're referring to Tiffany's CD skipping, and understandably, her singing faltered slightly.

Read the union's message board and perhaps your ignorance of this topic may depart for a brief while. The price was increased under a recomendation from the licensing board.

Show the post in which the students' association states that the prices were increased due to a recommendation from the licensing board, and I'll start to give your replies a little more merit.

Since nothing you said was correct or relevant I must assume you are a fool.
Good day.

Since your replies were littered with spelling and grammatical errors, I must assume that you aren't well educated enough to hold a decent argument.

(Edited to reflect Niall's earlier post about Javine not using a CD)
Ethan With

Re:

Postby md25 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:06 am

[s]Representation @ Your Union wrote on 10:20, 11th Oct 2004:
The block grant received from the university is roughly £158,000. It has been the exact same cash amount for the past three years. The increase that was received at that point was exactly enough to cover an expected increase in heat and power costs, which the Students' Association purchases from the university.
In 1995, when there were far fewer students, it was £220,000.

The costs of providing our representational functions (plus socs funding, etc) are about £300,000, so the bars and events are subsidising other activities to the tune of about £140,000.

Ah, so it's down to the Uni freezing (with inflation factored in, cutting) the money they give to the Union then?

With the God-only-knows amount they're getting for Hamilton you'd think they could cough up an extra hundred grand or so...
md25

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:15 am

You'd be surprised if you knew the extent of the University's financial situation.

[hr]“If a man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.” Ancient Japanese Proverb
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Wong on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:24 am

Are you going to tell us?

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:54 am

[s]md25 wrote on 12:06, 11th Oct 2004:Ah, so it's down to the Uni freezing (with inflation factored in, cutting) the money they give to the Union then?

With the God-only-knows amount they're getting for Hamilton you'd think they could cough up an extra hundred grand or so...

The money coming from the sale of Hamilton Hall is a one-off, which the university is, quite rightly, refusing to spend on running costs.

There has been a fairly generous settlement this year from the Scottish Executive, so the university is not quite as cash strapped as it usually is. What does need to be remembered is that while our real-terms grant per student is less than half what it was in 1990, the university also receives (from the Funding Councils) less than half what it was getting per student back then. The university loses a substantial amount of money on every EU undergraduate student that it has.

Simon is working on the strategic plan, part of which will set out exactly what we believe the university should be funding, and I do think that with the university's new emphasis on "Student Experience" (does anybody have any ideas on a tag line for that...) there is a good possibility that the situation won't be as bad this time next year.
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk

Re:

Postby md25 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:26 pm

I see. I've got (yet another...) question...: How bad is the uni's funding situation? I've heard people say that they're in the red to the tune of £15m and the rate at which they're losing money is accelerating, is this true or another unfounded rumour?
md25

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:38 pm

[s]md25 wrote on 16:26, 11th Oct 2004:
I see. I've got (yet another...) question...: How bad is the uni's funding situation? I've heard people say that they're in the red to the tune of £15m and the rate at which they're losing money is accelerating, is this true or another unfounded rumour?

I think the best person to ask questions of that sort to is Derek Watson, Quaestor & Factor, but for questions of that nature, the answer will depend on the value of "lose".
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:39 pm

Is the union considered a charity as far as it's accounts go, like the uni?

My website:
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:43 pm

[s]munchingfoo wrote on 16:39, 11th Oct 2004:
Is the union considered a charity as far as it's accounts go, like the uni?

Yes. If you would like a copy of the accounts, it's probably easiest to get them from the secretaries in the general office.
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk

Re:

Postby md25 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:09 pm

I dug up the Uni's accounts, which they've put on the Internet: http://foi.st-andrews.ac.uk/Publication ... erv?id=533 If you read through all of that you'll find out that not only does one member of staff earn about £155,000 a year, they have a stake in a £20Bn pension scheme and that the uni's debt stood at £30m in July 2003 (latest figures available), an increas of about £6m in one year.

£30m.

Whoa.
md25

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:25 pm

A lot of that debt can probably be attributed to the David Russell Apartments complex.
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk

Re:

Postby Wong on Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:13 pm

=O That's even more than most of us are in to our overdrafts.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby md25 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:16 pm

DRH is a £27.4m investment so...
md25

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:41 pm

[s]Rose Chambord wrote on 00:17, 11th Oct 2004:
Just for once I would like to see the volunteers treated with an ounce of respect by someone running the association's side of events.

Well they probably would if a minority of them didn't act like they were the voice of the union on these boards.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board