Home

TheSinner.net

steam

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

steam

Postby yank on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:11 pm

Has anybody gotten steam to work on their computer, or any online game for that matter? Does battle.net work?
yank

Re:

Postby yank on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:16 pm

sorry...will do next time

[hr]"I am responsible to only God and history." - Francisco Franco
yank

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:33 pm

To save you posting again, it won't work. ITS is blocking ports like it's going out of fashion. By the end of the year, you'll probably only be able to check e-mail... through telnet.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:32 pm

Actually, ITS have plans for removing telnet access.

or so I've heard
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:58 pm

[s]Ewan Husami wrote on 18:32, 13th Oct 2004:
Actually, ITS have plans for removing telnet access.

or so I've heard

By the end of the month, apparently.

[hr]
[s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby md25 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:07 pm

The telnet access refers to your shell account on your home server (bute, langs, psych,...), as it's a security risk to have so many unused telnet sessions listening in.

Hence they're bumping them off and moving everyone who needs/wants a shell account over to ssh access. Email helpdesk and say "I prefer using pine over webmail when I am away from my usual PC" and they'll go "yeah ok whatever" and maintain your ssh access.
md25

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:55 am

At this rate ITS will completely block everyone out that we won't have any fucking internet at all!!

Re:

Postby camel club on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:17 pm

Its pretty easy to see the reasons why ITS limit access to things the way they do. Its purely to cover their own back.

- If they stop people file sharing, then they don’t risk having record companies and the like on their backs.

- By blocking other ports, they make it much more difficult for viruses and other nasties to travel around the university network and causing havoc.

However, these actions do have the unfortunate consequence of making resnet unusable for most things other than web/email access - but then you get what you pay for. Resnet access is automatically included in residence fees, however from what I remember only contributes to them by about £50 a year.

What I would like to see is some choice. Many people who live in private accommodation have unrestricted broadband access and perfectly happy to pay around £20 a month for it. It would make sense if the university could arrange a deal maybe with an external ISP that allows hall residents to have full unrestricted internet access for an extra fee. By arranging this through an external ISP they could absolve themselves of any responsibility for the content of things downloaded, whilst raising more funds for the university.

Just a thought.
camel club

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:48 pm

To be fair, forcibly extracting £50 for what has essentially become (and don't bother saying - but you can use IT computers etc.)

A decent alternative would be far better, even if we had to pay for it.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:14 pm

am i the only person who is happy with his 24 hour high speed intenert connection in his room for £50/academic year?

[hr]
It's now who you know, it's who who you know knows
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:26 pm

24 hour?
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:36 pm

well, 24/7 in as much as i can use it any time i want.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:09 pm

When I was in hall you were lucky if it worked for 2 hours, and if someone was cooking in the kitchen the whole thing would go down.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Wong on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:18 pm

There was a lot of trouble at the start of last year, but it seems fine this year so far.

I appreciate the low cost of a high speed connection, but I think the issue is more to do with reducing services and keeping the price the same.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Return to The Sinner's Main Board