Home

TheSinner.net

Japanese Horrors

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Japanese Horrors

Postby mottthehoople on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:32 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is a fan, as they kick the ass. Especially Dark Water, Ring and Audition. More please

And how come there always seems to be shite remakes
mottthehoople

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:36 pm

Ring is amazing. I really should watch more Japanese horror, they can be very inventive. Theres a new one called Into The Mirror (i think) out soon which looks really good.
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby Tyler Fincher on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:20 pm

The Eye is Korean (I think) and really a thriller, but I really liked that. And Battle Royale is bleedin' fantastic. The Story of Ricky is just gory, but hilarious, and the Happiness of the Katakuris can freak you out in ways you never though possible.
I loved all the ones already mentioned too.

[hr]IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~adgc/avatar.JPG
Tyler Fincher

Re:

Postby Wong on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:30 pm

Not even a film, this, but I'd just like people to consider that Silent Hill is amazing.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby meh on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:08 am

I wholeheartedly agree that Ring is outstanding (if only the same could be said for Gore Verbinski's godawful remake) though the sequels didn't really live up to their predecessor. Ring 2 was promising but the ending was extremely weak and Ring Ø: Bâsudei took a turn for the Dawson's-meets-Carrie - and didn't do either of them particularly well.

Rasen, or Spiral, is the 'sequel' they made alongside the original then completely disregarded à la Halloween 3. It follows Koji Suzuki's books (which incidentally they sell in Ottakar's) more closely than Nakata's but it's hard to find Sadako quite as frightening when she crawls from the TV, grinning and naked, in the form of Japanese ex-model Saeki Hinako...

And speaking of Hinako, Uzumaki is movie that's light on the plot but very pretty to look at.

Miike Takashi's Audition has a wonderfully twisted ending though Dead or Alive (which, I'm aware isn't a horror but still) is as hilariously bad as it is inconsistent.

Natural City, a Korean take on Blade Runner except that I actually enjoyed it, is again not a horror but definitely worth watching nonetheless.

Battle Royale is great. Battle Royale 2 is distinctly less so.

Tetsuo is appallingly bad.

As for remakes, well, I've already explained my position on The Ring though I'm still slightly intrigued to see The Grudge (remake of Ju-On). Much as I love Buffy, however, I'm not so sure Sarah Michelle Gellar would've been my first choice when it came to casting the lead. Also, the posters and trailers seem more than a little familiar:
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/sony/thegrudge/
Now where have I seen that face before...?

The only horror I felt watching The Happiness of the Katakuris was realising I was never getting those 2 hours of my life back, Silent Hill is indeed amazing and The Eye is in fact Chinese.
meh

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:36 am

Japan is great... but really, Ringu while better than the Ring wasn't all that good, unless you're a fucking pussy.

Of course, when I said people that were scared by Doom 3 were pussies, there was a backlash but I stand by that statement and I am more backlash proof that a Volvo estate.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby amac on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:26 am

Am I the only person to think that The Ring is a lot of bollocks? There was only one moment which came close to being frightening, while the rest was a load of random gibberish about someone dieing. A lot of Japanese films seem hopelessly overrated in my opinion.

Zatoichi was good actually. Anyone seen Sonatine or other films by the same guy? I've been told I should watch them but haven't got round to it.

I loved Battle Royale but don't even get me started on Ichi the Killer...
amac

Re:

Postby Raindance on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:33 am

[s]Tyler Fincher wrote on 00:20, 26th Oct 2004:

Happiness of the Katakuris can freak you out in ways you never though possible.

I love that film! It's so brilliantly feel-good and the musical parts are amazing. Makes me wish I could speak Japanese so that I could appreciate it fully.

It's absolutely bonkers though.

[hr]
I love this mess
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby Tyler Fincher on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:40 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 03:36, 26th Oct 2004:
Japan is great... but really, Ringu while better than the Ring wasn't all that good, unless you're a fucking pussy.

Of course, when I said people that were scared by Doom 3 were pussies, there was a backlash but I stand by that statement and I am more backlash proof that a Volvo estate.

meow.

[hr]
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~adgc/avatar.JPG
Tyler Fincher

Re:

Postby sigh on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:40 pm

[s]Tyler Fincher wrote on 14:40, 26th Oct 2004:
[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 03:36, 26th Oct 2004:[i]

meow.
[/i]

Indeed. While some people can enjoy films on their own merit, others are still stuck in that high school phase of "nothing scares me, you're all wimps" followed by cries of "ner ner".

It's amusing but a little sad. And as for those that found doom 3 not in the least scary - it's because you have a crappy pc with a crud sound system. Simple really. (Oh and also because of the required % of geeks who must slag of any game that is hyped up - it's like the law or something, if they don't do it their head explodes so just nod politely and back off smirking :) ).
sigh

Re:

Postby mottthehoople on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:51 pm

the only thing i didnt understand about dark water was the fact the the mother went away with the small freaky girl at the end, that was just plain fucked up.

Any explanations
mottthehoople

Return to The Sinner's Main Board