Home

TheSinner.net

Election '08

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Election '08

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:39 pm

As tomorrow's shenanigans have been pretty much done to death, let us look forward a little. Who will the Republicans field in 2008?

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:46 pm

Schwazenegger for President!
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:52 pm

(After an amendment to the Constitution, obviously.)

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:54 pm

I guess the Americans would be up for that. I mean, they like to defend the constitution, but I'm sure they'd ammend it for something important, surely?

[hr]IMAGE:www.johnkerry.com/feeds/media/120x80.gif
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:14 pm

I dunno, things are looking pretty good just now for Jesse 'The Body' Ventura...

[hr]"And all the people rejoiced, and said: 'God save the King! Long live the King! ...May the King live forever!'" - Handel, 'Zadok the Priest'
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby novium on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:18 pm

God, what, has McCain died or something? He's perfectly eligible, he's popular, and he ran before.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby novium on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:19 pm

[s]Haunted wrote on 13:46, 1st Nov 2004:
Schwazenegger for President!

I will vote for Schwarzenneger over my dead body. Besides, as some one said, barring a constitutional amendment, he CAN'T be president.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:43 pm

Stranger things have, however, happened (though I tend to think that if the Constitution is amended then it won't be before 2008).

Senator McCain will be nearing retirement age by 2008, so I wonder if he'll run again.

Giuliani has to be a strong contender. His popularity after 9/11 was enormous, and he has - so far as I can see from this side of the Atlantic, anyway - remained sufficiently detached from Bush to be too tainted by whatever happens to the 43rd President.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:34 pm

I wonder if the democrats will do what is expected of them and field Clinton (if Kerry does not win this time round)?

[hr][s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:44 pm

Giulliani has cancer and has publicly proclaimed that he will not run for office again.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:56 pm

I was under the impression that Giuliani had suffered from prostate cancer but that it had now been successfully treated?

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Rennie on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:31 pm

I heard that if Clinton runs, the Republicans will field Condolezza Rice - anyone heard anything similar?
Rennie

Re:

Postby mottthehoople on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:39 pm

Robert de niro for president, "you fuck my vote, i will fuck you up, you cock sucking motherfucker"
mottthehoople

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:50 pm

Dr Rice for President has its obvious attractions in appealing to female voters and ethnic minorities, but she has no experience of electoral politics as such and I wonder if she'd want to be pushed into the front line like that. On the other hand, if Bush wins a second term, I'd expect her to become Secretary of State.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Atangaladhion on Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:47 pm

I too had heard the Rice in 08 rumour, but I really don't like her, so I hope they run here against Clinton and Clinton wins in a land-slide.
Lars Olsen is not the second coming of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was the first coming of Lars Olsen.
Atangaladhion

Re:

Postby Stuart on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:52 pm

Hmmm, Senator Dole will be 72 in 2008, but how about:

Dole/Rice vs. Clinton/Pelosi?

If Kerry is unsuccessful tomorrow, what are the chances of Edwards putting his name forward in 2008?

[hr]http://www.stuartpaterson.co.uk
Stuart

Re:

Postby novium on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:55 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 14:43, 1st Nov 2004:
Stranger things have, however, happened (though I tend to think that if the Constitution is amended then it won't be before 2008).

Senator McCain will be nearing retirement age by 2008, so I wonder if he'll run again.

Giuliani has to be a strong contender. His popularity after 9/11 was enormous, and he has - so far as I can see from this side of the Atlantic, anyway - remained sufficiently detached from Bush to be too tainted by whatever happens to the 43rd President.

hmmmm, I could see Giuliani.
But I'd like it if McCain ran. I think he's a good man and would be good for the country.
novium

Re:

Postby Francie on Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:03 pm

Giuliani's well-liked, certainly, but he's also pro-choice and in favor of gay rights, and that won't go over very well with the Christian conservatives who make up a significant portion of the Republican base. I'd expect him to get a cabinet post in the next Bush administration, because he is popular, but he'd have a near-impossible time winning primaries with social policies so far to the left of the party base. That goes for Schwarzenegger, too, I suppose... I think McCain's something like 68 now, so he'd be into his seventies by then but still a contender...McCain vs Hilary- that would be something to see.
Francie

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:44 pm

[s]Stuart wrote on 18:52, 1st Nov 2004:
If Kerry is unsuccessful tomorrow, what are the chances of Edwards putting his name forward in 2008?

Very high, I would think. If Senator Kerry loses, then he'll take much of the blame - how often is a campaign won or lost on the strengths of the running mate?

So perhaps a second poll: if Senator Kerry loses tomorrow, who will the Democrats field in 2008?

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:49 pm

Bollocks. I didn't mean to do that; I hadn't finished the poll. Bleh, someone else can do it, but I'd throw into the mix names like Governor Richardson of New Mexico, Senator Daschle, Rep. Pelosi and maybe even Al Gore (only 60 years old in 2008) or Senator Lieberman. Dr Dean is probably a busted flush and Rep. Gephardt surely can't want another kicking in the primaries.

Eliot Wilson

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board