Home

TheSinner.net

hair cut?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

hair cut?

Postby naomi on Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:03 pm

hello!

where's the best (but not expensive) place to get your hair cut?

ta :)
naomi

Re:

Postby md25 on Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:25 pm

Never had a hair cut in St Andrews and this is my fourth year.

Got one in my hometown this afternoon though. So long, long hair :'-[
md25

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:17 pm

I usually go to the one just off Market Street, around the corner from Global/ across from Lloyds/TSB.

It's reasonably priced and you don't need to get an appointment, you can just walk in off the street. I think they'll do everything from a trim to a perm... yeah.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Scully on Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:34 pm

Olivers- 1st floor on south street, near WHSmiths, do a cut and blow dry for £16, which is quite cheap for st Andrews!
Scully

Hugh Farquar

Postby George on Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:34 pm

I usually go to Hugh Farquar cos its dead cheap and you can just walk in without an appointment. It gets a bit of a slagging from students (I've heard it called Huge Fuckups) but they do a decent enough job and i've never had any complaints. If you are feeling a bit flush however, Sophie Butlers is really nice cos you get a nice choice of teas, coffees, hot chocolates etc to sip on while yo uare getting your hair done but its dead expensive
George

Sophie Butler all the way

Postby dill on Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:58 pm

Yeah I went there and it rocked

SOPHIE BUTLER ALL THE WAY

It was £12 for a guys wash and cut. The lovely lady even massaged my head for me.

When I went in they were smiley all the time and after the lady asked if she could take my bag for me, she then asked if I wanted a coffee or a tea. In fact you get a large selection of choice - free! You can have late, cappucino, tea, water. It's great.

(No, I dont actually work there, its just great)

I was so impressed I'll be going straight back there when the hair starts getting long again.

PS. Oh yeah, I forgot to say, the decor is really nice too and they play cool music like Dido!!! Could there be a better place to have your hair cut?
dill

Hugh Farquhar

Postby JM on Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:21 pm

I got my hair done at Hughs - since im a fresher i don't know the best and worst places but Hughs was great - cheap snd the people were really friendly and chatty!
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:12 am

The Barber's Pole.
£5 for a cut, with innuendo to boot!
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Wong on Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:40 am

I go to John the barber, next to the computer place on South Street. He doesn't charge much, usually about four pounds for my near-bald style, but he doesn't seem the kind of man that you'd want to hold anything sharp near your head for too long.
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:17 am

John is great. Cheap, efficient haircut and decidedly dodgy jokes thrown in for free.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby white_wolf on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:12 pm

Sophie's place sounds good, and where would that be then?
white_wolf

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:22 pm

[s]white_wolf wrote on 13:12, 11th Nov 2004:
Sophie's place sounds good, and where would that be then?

Greyfriar Gardens.
Nest question!
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:57 pm

Greyfriars Garden, not Greyfriar Gardens. Named, of course, for the Franciscan friary which stood on the site in pre-Reformation times.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:16 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 11:17, 11th Nov 2004:
John is great. Cheap, efficient haircut and decidedly dodgy jokes thrown in for free.

not so sure about cheap (£6. costs more than at home, but its worth it).

John will talk you through what he's doing, and will pay attention to what you ask for. he gets my vote

Avoid the barber pole. i'm pretty sure that the hairdresser didn't pay any attention to me last time i was in.

[hr]
It's not who you know, it's who who you know knows
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:42 pm

Nowhere in St Andrews! Seriously.

Re:

Postby jennyo on Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:34 am

I took a guy friend of mine to the place of Greyfriars that's not Sophie Butler when he didn't know where to get his hair cut (I suppose guys don't know these sorts of things). Anyway, he was happy with it and it was about 12 quid, but he has long hair so not sure how they do with normal blokes' cuts.

[hr]Don't ask me who's influenced me. A lion is made up of the lambs he's
digested, and I've been reading all my life. -Giorgos Seferis, writer,
diplomat, Nobel laureate (1900-1971)
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:18 am

I vote for the one on Market Street whose name I have forgotten. Anyone who remembers my side-parting has them to think for (apologies for this pun) parting me from it after 20 years.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby naomi on Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:40 am

okay i've got a shiney new haircut ... and i went for Hugh Farquar in the end. It looks quite good ... :) i'm pleased. ta. :)
naomi

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:29 pm

Any if anyone can't remember exnihilo's 'do, I would be happy to rejog memories by posting a photo of it.

With permission, of course
Thackary

Re:

Postby Eddie Baby on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:36 pm

My girlfriend cut my hair with a £20 hair clipper from Argos.
Cheap and highly personalised - what more could you want!
Eddie Baby

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board